How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
RickH

Re: How's your weather?

Post by RickH »

Mick F wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 7:15pm Yep.
Very odd today.

Met Office and BBC Weather had warnings of thunderstorms this afternoon.
Nowhere near correct, either of them.

They also said sunny intervals ........... whatever that means. :wink:
If you looked at the detail about the thunderstorm warnings they were billed as low probability but potentially high impact - not very likely to happen in any given place but the possibility of dumping a lot of rain in a short period of time (I heard 50mm/2" quoted - a month's rain in a couple of hours).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

oh dear... granted it's thousands of miles away at the moment but this is just a reminder that climate change is here and with us now. As I'm fond of pointing out, the end game has begun.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Smashing sunshine in Taunton today.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Glorious here.

Foggy and misty to start with, and left home with Doggie for a walk at soon after 10am for a couple of hour's walk. By the time we turned round and our way back, we were boiling hot ................... so called in at the pub just after they opened for a bowl of water for him .......................... and couple of pints of beer for me! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Monumental downpour here on Monday evening - the heaviest rain I've seen for many years. And our street was partially flooded - the first time we can recall that happening in nearly 40 years of living here. Luckily for us most of the surface water was on the opposite side of the road, and one set of neighbours on that side told us they were within an inch of water coming into the house. A narrow escape. Other parts of our town (Burgess Hill) weren't so lucky: there was some water getting into people's homes, according to a report from the mayor.

Is this a Climate Change indicator? I wouldn't go so far as to finger this particular incident. But the situation in the Pacific NW looks far graver...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Is this a Climate Change indicator? I wouldn't go so far as to finger this particular incident. But the situation in the Pacific NW looks far graver...
We'd better keep our collective fingers X'ed that the North Atlantic Gyre continues its spirally way... Familiar to millions of UK school children as The Gulf Stream, its motive force the NAG, is what keeps us temporate. It is v. poorly understood but certain key facts are emerging - i) it's sensitive to large inputs of fresh-water, as in meltwater... ii) it has been known to change state periodically, resulting in massive climate change effects in north west Europe... ie us.
Read around the subject and you will learn of climate scientists' increasing uneasiness re the prospect of geophysical changes 'cascading' and feedback loops (such as the effect that ice caps have on the planet's temperature) toggling with unexpected rapidity and devastating consequences, at least for higher animals, such as ourselves. Plants, fungii, algaes, lichens and slime-moulds will probably emerge unscathed... oh and my cold, stiff, abandoned Moulton bicycle...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Meant to be rain lunch on but none by eight.
I should of put the motor in my trail bike, after spending two hours getting a broken exhaust stud out :P
Should have gone for a walk too.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Was thunder an lightning here in York tonight. Over now I think.
I am here. Where are you?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Absolutely batting it down out there this morning. It was overnight too.
Mick F. Cornwall
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Cool and cloudy with the threat of more rain in North Wales.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Here in Leeds we had a thunderstorm with heavy rain. It seemed to be moving quickly in that the thunder after the first lightning in the south had a long delay then there was one flash directly overhead with simultaneous thunder and the next flash in the north had delayed thunder. The rain lasted longer than that and was really heavy.

Sunny and muggy now
rjb

Post by rjb »

Thunderstorms and downpours yesterday afternoon in Somerset. The storm was tracking its way up the A38 towards Bristol. Same forecast for later today. Hope Daniel is prepared for it.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rjb wrote: 4 Jul 2021, 11:01am Thunderstorms and downpours yesterday afternoon in Somerset. The storm was tracking its way up the A38 towards Bristol. Same forecast for later today. Hope Daniel is prepared for it.
........... but who is he?
Also, where is he and what route?

If I'd been on the bike, or walking, I'd have asked him about his route.

Met loadsa organised riders and support people in the village over the years, and tried to tell them the error in their routing.
Too late if they're in the Tamar Valley. :wink:
Keep away ............ unless you actually like the endless hills!
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Dry and sunny this morning, but started raining this afternoon.
It seems to be leaving here now, and on the way north!

You're all welcome to it.
http://www.raintoday.co.uk
Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 18.01.21.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Mick F wrote: 5 Jul 2021, 6:04pm Dry and sunny this morning, but started raining this afternoon.
It seems to be leaving here now, and on the way north!
It didn't get very far north as it hung around Bristol waiting for me to ride home at 10pm with no wet weather gear :(