How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Re: How's your weather?

Post by Cowsham »

Had a nice cycle yesterday with my son ( two days off work ) -- a bit blowy but temperature OK --- tried again today - very windy and started to rain as we left so turned back -- grrr
I am here. Where are you?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yeah, I was out riding yesterday. 20miles and windy, but thankfully not cold.
Maybe its a bit milder today, though rained cats and dogs once or twice.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Cowsham wrote:Had a nice cycle yesterday with my son ( two days off work ) -- a bit blowy but temperature OK --- tried again today - very windy and started to rain as we left so turned back -- grrr

Got out a bit later for an hour but had to pedal home in the dark. Roads not too bad though. I'm out of cycling shape since that bitter cold weather has kept me in.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

forcecast is a little on the cold side for sunday!

screenshot from the otherwise excellent Windy.com
https://www.windy.com/?55.377,-2.650,5
rjb

Post by rjb »

Pebble wrote:forcecast is a little on the cold side for sunday!

]

Absolutely Kelvin. Brrrrrrrrrr
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Rather nice weather today.
I had planned on a bike ride as it was the only day over the next few that the weather is good.

Then I took the doggie for a walk ........................

He's a bit wayward and energetic. 40mins of a walk, intending to be back in time for a couple of hours on a ride.
I usually let him off the lead at the bottom of our lane, and he runs home - few hundred yards - and he waits at the gate, or goes under it and waits up the drive.

Today, I let him off, and off he runs as usual.
He's not at the gate, he's not on the drive, he's not at the front door ......... call for him and nothing ............
I go back down the lane, and a neighbour is in his garden, and says he's just seen him chasing off after two female deer and he went that-a-way ........ pointing into the woods.

Sigh ......... so off I went, calling for him, and up and up and along and along, pushing through undergrowth, calling all the time. There's acres and acres of woodland to go though, and no sight or sound of him.

Came back down, and down and down, and went along the river bank looking for him, calling all the time. He likes it by the river.
No sign of him.
Spoke to people walking, and they'd not seen him.
Spoke to further away neighbours, and they'd not seen him.
Went all the way up and way back into the woods .............. and there he is. Happy as Larry with a stick in his mouth enjoying himself immensely.

I'd walked him a couple of miles, and then walked another two or three just trying to find him!
It was after lunchtime before we got home, so I opened a can of beer ........................ :wink:

Sod the bike ride!
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

You must have had a good cardio workout with the stress and worry before you found him. Glad it had a happy ending.
Glorious weather here too. I’ve been out cycling for only the third time this year (nursing a neck problem). Just a short 6 miles to drop off a copy of Beryl Burton’s biography at a friends house and to test a revised, more upright riding position. A very strange, wayward feel to the front wheel with less weight on it but definitely more comfortable.
Blue skies all the way and a good temperature. T-shirt and waterproof felt a bit overdressed at times.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Pebble wrote:forcecast is a little on the cold side for sunday!

screenshot from the otherwise excellent Windy.com
https://www.windy.com/?55.377,-2.650,5

Isn't that what we should be expecting with climate change - extremes of weather! :twisted:

Or maybe someone got a calculation, or error trapping, wrong giving this sort of thing. And it would be a shame not to preserve it for posterity, wouldn't it? :lol:

I used to use metcheck some years ago but found they "went off the boil" a bit & I moved on to other sources. But not before I managed to get this corker at the opposite extreme to the above.

(click to enlarge)
(click to enlarge)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Wow. I’ll take that tailwind for a JOGLE ride. I’d be having lunch in Penzance on the first day!
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Rode away this morning, knowing the weather was going to get warm by lunchtime.
Off I went, down over the bridge into England but as I got to the top of the long hill out of the valley, I was too warm. Way too warm!

Tights, shoes and socks, base layer and a windproof LS jersey. After three miles, I stopped and stripped off the base layer and stuffed it into my pocket. Still way too warm, so I cut my ride short - 20miles instead of 30.

I should have been in shorts and a SS top. Sandals instead of shoes and socks as well probably.

20degC out there now. :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

12 c and overcast in the Scottish Borders! In between the rain iin the north and sun somewhere south :lol:
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

expecting with climate change - extremes of weather!
Exactly so. We have been warned. And I imagine too, alongside the increase in the frequency of extreme weather events, goes a decrease in the ability to predict them... This is called, "As thou shalt sew, so shall you reap.".
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
rjb

Post by rjb »

Just home from a 20 mile ride around the Somerset levels. 22° outside now. Shorts, short sleeves, and shades. :D
More warm weather here until Friday. Bring it on.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Baltic blizzard up here -- " Sometimes it Snows in April " -- comes to mind.

https://youtu.be/C-iS6DYB5G8
Last edited by Cowsham on 5 Apr 2021, 12:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

+1 Baltic!
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info