How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
rotavator

Re: How's your weather?

Post by rotavator »

Back to the weather. More cloud and gloom today. Forecast for tomorrow is warmer but still gloomy. November is the most dismal month of the year I reckon.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Hellhound wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 9:13pm We have too many species not naturally native to the UK like the fast growing Pines planted all over our Countryside for commercial use but I would disagree that we have too many native broadleaves!When you consider how much deforestation has occurred in the UK over the centuries to make way for progress,ie housing,industry,agriculture,roads etc we probably have 60% less trees than we had,say,a thousand years ago.
We need to plant more native species IMO!
Very few places have less trees as a percentage of their land mass than the UK (may be just Iceland in Europe). It is an absolute disgrace for a country that pretends its 'green'.

One of the biggest disgraces is here in Scotland, 15% of Scotlands land is devoted to grouse moors. Just stop the muir burning and the original Caledonia forest would slowly but surely self generate (just need keep the deer numbers down) The revenue from eco tourism would soon replace the money from the gun obsessed.
Jdsk wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 2:34pm This immediately runs into the same problem as "Correct English usage is what I learnt at school". How do we determine what the "correct species" is for an area... what was there when we were young, after the Normans had arrived, after the Romans had arrived, as far back as we can get archaeological evidence... ?

Or by an anhistoric assessment of the future effects of the different options?

Thanks

Jonathan
Yes indeed, what would we plant for the future, many of the magnificent Oaks Ashes Beech and Scots Pines that come down over the weekend probably stated off 200 - 300 years ago. Our climate will be very very different in another 200 years time.

Not a big fan of attaching "Climate Change" to every freak weather event but they are happening more regularly, and what we had this weekend was extraordinary (it would have been national news if it had been down south). More sad news I learnt today, over 800 seals and pups washed up at St Abbs Head (there will be many many more washed out to sea) Yes I know winter storms do take them, but these numbers have never been seen before.

edited to revise the seal numbers (bbc now saying over 800) and that is just the ones washed up, there will be 1000's
Last edited by Pebble on 29 Nov 2021, 11:51pm, edited 2 times in total.
RickH

Post by RickH »

colin54 wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 8:17amIt's -2 degrees C at the moment with a slight easterly, rather than westerly breeze for a change. I'm going to take my regular Monday ride...
It was definitely a bit parky cycling from Horwich to get a train from Wigan this morning. My Garmin was showing -3.9°C a couple of times when I glanced at it. But there was a lovely sunrise (that I didn't stop to take photos of) & some nice wintery views from the train on the way to Chester.
(Click to enlarge)
(Click to enlarge)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

Thanks, I have learnt something useful today :)
The quickest way to type a degree sign ("º") on my 11-year-old Mac laptop is to type the number "0" while holding down the "option" key. It's possible that "0" and the "alt" key on Microsoft keyboards would do the trick as well.

(In Canada we have many opportunities for minus xº discussions.)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

RickH wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 11:32pm
colin54 wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 8:17amIt's -2 degrees C at the moment with a slight easterly, rather than westerly breeze for a change. I'm going to take my regular Monday ride...
It was definitely a bit parky cycling from Horwich to get a train from Wigan this morning. My Garmin was showing -3.9°C a couple of times when I glanced at it. But there was a lovely sunrise (that I didn't stop to take photos of) & some nice wintery views from the train on the way to Chester.
DSC_4469.JPG
Nice pic Rick
I am here. Where are you?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mild (for the time of year) and damp out there this morning.
Maybe 6 or 7 degC

Daffs are poking through.
IMG_0907.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mistik-ka wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 12:43amThe quickest way to type a degree sign ("º") on my 11-year-old Mac laptop is to type the number "0" while holding down the "option" key. It's possible that "0" and the "alt" key on Microsoft keyboards would do the trick as well.
Option - 0 gives the masculine ordinal indicator (ASCII 186), not the degree symbol (ASCII 176). They may look similar in some fonts but they won't in others, and some will show underlining for the former.

Jonathan
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I just write "degrees"!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Always ready to learn - although perhaps not so eager as formerly and definitely more likely to forget - I've had another look at the character map and I see that the degree sign ° is lurking in plain sight on the row above the masculine ordinal indicator º to which I incorrectly directed colin54 originally. (As I said - computer numpty.)

On the subject of our weather, in around 24 hours we've gone from a reported minus 9 degs C to plus 12 degs today.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Easily 12degC this afternoon.

We used to have a thermometer on the north side of the bungalow, but the plastic construction holding the glass faded and cracked over the years, and we never bothered replacing the unit. We miss it, so it's on the list to get a new one.

On the bike(s) my Garmin links in with the Garmin Tempe clipped onto the saddle bag. That records the temperature very well indeed.
Last ride ............. sadly, not riding as often as I once did, nor as far either. :cry: :cry:

The info regarding elevation and times and date are obvious.
The dark blue trace is the temperature in Celsius.
Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 14.20.02.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Our weather is doing this:

This is at ~400m. Roads up here a bit dodgy, still OK lower down. Probably not tonight, though.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Audax67 wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 3:29pm Our weather is doing this:

This is at ~400m. Roads up here a bit dodgy, still OK lower down. Probably not tonight, though.
I see foot prints but no cycle track ?? Looks cold where you are.
I am here. Where are you?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Chilly, windy, heavy showers interspersed with some sunshine through the gaps in the black clouds.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mrs Mick plans to walk to the village and meet up with friends for a coffee and cake.
It's about a mile, and she may get soaked, and then sit in cafe for an hour or so, then walk home and get soaked.

She may go by car. Daft to start it up for a five minute journey to switch it off, and then repeat, so she's wondering what else she can use the car for when she's out. We don't need shopping or anything else .................. so she might give up on the whole thing! :lol:

Another idea is for her to take me and doggie somewhere so we can get a good walk back home, but no thanks, as I'd get soaked! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

An electric conversion for Barbarella could solve your problem. :wink:
Those showers have arrived here now but we managed a short ride in the dry followed by cake and coffee at the community café. Coffee for Mrs rjb, tea for me, and we shared the chocolate cake. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D