How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
peetee

Re: How's your weather?

Post by peetee »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 9:03pm Hi,
peetee wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 7:02am I wish it would rain here more often. It’s not that it’s too dry, no. Instead of being subjected to a normal off-season of intermittent rain, sleet or snow showers interspersed by grey skies we are subjected to 8 months of continuous drizzle. I am seriously considering buying a tumble dryer as I seem to require the heating on to dry clothes more often than I need it on to warm the occupants.
Conservatory!
No way. The was one at my last place and it was too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter and a magnet for condensation.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Pebble wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 10:59pm
PDQ Mobile wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 10:26am
Cowsham wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 12:04am

Autumn has come and gone.
Really?
I always think winter doesn't start in earnest until around the shortest day.
many including me doesn't think winter begins until the Solstice
this year that is 15:53 on the 21st.
I prefer the seasons related to our movement around the Sun, far more natural than man made months.
Well we've had snow two weeks ago and since that it's continual heavy sideways rain gusting wind at about 1 or 2 degrees c -- if that's not winter God help us when it does arrive.

Today I wish I could just stay in bed and listen to the wind and rain lashing the windows. Not a day for the bike!

Saw a guy out last night cycling home in the dark getting thoroughly soaked and frozen. Not for me.
I am here. Where are you?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just leaving us, and on it's way east.
You're all welcome to it! :D
http://www.raintoday.co.uk
Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 09.52.55.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

We've still got damaging winds -- heavy stuff getting airborne atm.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
peetee wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 7:24am
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 9:03pm Hi,
peetee wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 7:02am I wish it would rain here more often. It’s not that it’s too dry, no. Instead of being subjected to a normal off-season of intermittent rain, sleet or snow showers interspersed by grey skies we are subjected to 8 months of continuous drizzle. I am seriously considering buying a tumble dryer as I seem to require the heating on to dry clothes more often than I need it on to warm the occupants.
Conservatory!
No way. The was one at my last place and it was too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter and a magnet for condensation.
Built properly with a fan to extract moisture makes an ideal place to dry your washing.
Surely you get a lot of sunshine/UV for a lot of the year more than the rest of the country?
Ours is quite small but it's surprising how much it warms up part of the house even when the Sun doesn't appear to shine.
In my opinion they should be built into houses from new, they collect a lot of the Sun to help drying washing and warm in the house, not necessarily an external addition!
Ideally they should be designed so that they can also be shut down to prevent too much heat pf course.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Today we are forecast 96% chance of rain and winds 45 to 50 mile an hour for 24 hours.
RickH

Post by RickH »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 10:17pm
Still, warmth records were broken.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-59489484
Really?
As far as the Met Office is concerned (& quite probably international meteorological data gathering), Autumn is 1 September to 30th November. The seasons are all defined in whole months (& always have been) as when the system was set up all the recording & calculation was done manually so it wasn't really feasible to use bits of months for seasonal data.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

RickH wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 10:58am

Really?
As far as the Met Office is concerned (& quite probably international meteorological data gathering), Autumn is 1 September to 30th November. The seasons are all defined in whole months (& always have been) as when the system was set up all the recording & calculation was done manually so it wasn't really feasible to use bits of months for seasonal data.
Yes I understand.

Nevertheless sea temps in the seas around the UK are around their minimum at the end of Febuary.

And the Artic is also at its coldest then.
Average records show the UK coldest air temps also often occur in Feb.

Mid winter! - for a winter starting around the solstice and finishing at the equinox.
The opposite effect is seen in late summer/autumn - sea temps stay high right into September.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

RickH wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 10:58am

Really?
I'd say it depends where abouts in the uk you live. I remember 2010 we had the ice storm which brought down telegraph and electric poles ( we were off grid for a week or two ) but by the end of March beginning of April the ice was starting to melt and go.

At that time I had to make a journey to Essex and was amazed at the difference in temperature. Trees had leaves, the sky was blue and I had to shed my big bumfly coat. Was only there for a couple of days and when I got home I was back to low grey skies and ice on the ground.
peetee

Post by peetee »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 10:57am Surely you get a lot of sunshine/UV for a lot of the year more than the rest of the country?
Nope. It’s warmer overall but the weather here is extremely unpredictable. We are 20 miles from Lands End with predominant south-westerlies so weather systems generally approach from the Atlantic. Whether it rains or not is down to the height of the clouds and the relative temperature of the land and sea. The forecast becomes more accurate up country where the landmass is much wider and it influences the air temperature and humidity in a more predictable way. What we do get is a lot of Krizzle (Kernow drizzle). Imagine a heavy rain shower but with very fine water droplets. It’s the kind of drizzle that would make you wet through in 30 seconds. At the end of November the forecast was all but dry for a week and a bit. We had krizzle, lots and lots of krizzle.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Sleet and/or snow and fairly windy, also very dark!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The rain suddenly stopped ......... as predicted using the radar ............ and at the same time it stopped, the sun came out and wind completely dropped to zero-ish.

A sudden and welcome transformation.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
When I did my coast and borders ride two years ago, only had to put my jacket on once, that was the north coast of Cornwall.
Even when it's overcast you still get UV light coming through quite strongly it's very surprising when you have a conservatory to notice the difference of the temperature inside the conservatory compare to the rest of your house even.

I think house manufacturers are a long way off designing houses that utilise the Sun.
If you were rich enough to buy solar panels, You might think green energy has arrived.
And of course we know that those skyhigh subsidies are to be paid for by the taxpayer.
But we seen how the reliance on Green energy has to be paid For with higher energy bills gas? (I might have got that bit wrong).
In house building things seem to move extremely slowly, they fall into disrepair or are allowed to fall into disrepair by greedy councils, their solution is to either sell off the property to the highest bidder, Or put their hand out for yet another grant to build houses which give the highest returns
rjb

Post by rjb »

Mick F wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 1:43pm The rain suddenly stopped ......... as predicted using the radar ............ and at the same time it stopped, the sun came out and wind completely dropped to zero-ish.

A sudden and welcome transformation.
Same here but isn't this being in the eye of the storm with more to follow later. :shock:

I'm giving the bike a rest today and finding indoor jobs to catch-up on.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

https://www.windy.com/?51.496,-0.122,5
According to that, there's a brisk westerly here.
I can't even see the trees moving, but the fluffy white clouds are drifting by. Maybe the "brisk westerly" is up in the sky, not on the land.
Mick F. Cornwall