How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: How's your weather?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

hi,
Hellhound wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 6:43pm
Mick F wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 4:46pm We drove down to Helston today. Left home 11am, home 4pm.
Long story why.

2hrs there, and slightly less coming back.

28degC both ways. I was driving, and coming back easterly, the sun was on me (on the south side of the car) and not on Mrs Mick F.
Aircon/Climate Control on, and set for 17degC.

We got home, and she announced ............
"Thank goodness I can get out, so I can warm up!"
I have the Air-con on lowest setting about 75% of the year 8) I've never understood the 'driving with windows down' idea as it just blows and circulates hot air on warmer days :| I also hate the wind noise.
Moving will not change the air temperature but will remove warm air around your body so will cool you down.

Earlier in the week 30° when I woke up and 30° in the evening more than 12 hours at least, this morning it's hovering above 14 C.
In the week the lounge was 27° just before midnight.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 9:58am Moving will not change the air temperature but will remove warm air around your body so will cool you down.
I find at 25°+ it does this on the bike but in the car I just sit there getting sweaty :|
I have those wind deflectors on the doors and I have the windows down slightly when my dog is in the car,you can feel the car warm up instantly as all the cold air from the inside gets sucked out :roll:
The worse thing though is the horrible wind noise!
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Our weather is cycling between torrentially wet and thundery, and baking and humid. Ride in the rain and risk getting drowned and/or carbonized, or ride in the sun sweating jaffas and mobbed by flies on the hills. Every time the weather forecast shows the rain icon there's a wee lightning flash with it.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Hellhound wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 11:05am
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 9:58am Moving will not change the air temperature but will remove warm air around your body so will cool you down.
I find at 25°+ it does this on the bike but in the car I just sit there getting sweaty :|
I have those wind deflectors on the doors and I have the windows down slightly when my dog is in the car,you can feel the car warm up instantly as all the cold air from the inside gets sucked out :roll:
The worse thing though is the horrible wind noise!
If inside is cooler than outside obviously it's a good idea to keep the windows and doors shut same in the house.
In the back of our car I rigged up a box wooden to stop all the interior getting plastered with a muck. from the dogs.
It also included a radiator car radiator fan.
The dogs would get out not puffing at all even in the middle of summer.
Did the same in the camper with two overhead radiator fans directed down at the dogs bed, same effect here.
As dogs don't sweat But only pant, I'm assuming the cooling of the bodies with the moving air did the trick.
Both vehicles you could leave the fan on without the ignition on.
The camper fans two Could draw 22 A together at full blast but they were only rigged in series so were drawing half that but very very effective.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

A bit cooler, breezy and much more pleasant today in North Wales but still no rain so I will have to continue watering the garden. I am now motivated to get on with some chores....
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Still nearly 30 degrees today -- forecast said it was to be cooler.
I am here. Where are you?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Forecasts during the week said rain on Friday, and torrential thunderstorms and high winds on Saturday (today).
Utterly and completely wrong.

Rained a little bit during last night, and a bit at 6ish this morning. Other than that. it's been quite nice. Sunny intervals, gentle breeze and totally dry.
Could-less blue skies and utterly calm now as I type.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Hasn't rained for weeks here - it feels like a different country. A little cooler here today due to a very welcome light breeze.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Been nice today here too.
This is despite the BBC forecast saying about "weather warnings" issued by Met Office when Met Office had no such warnings.
Sun, warm, dry, calm ........... very pleasant indeed.

I blame Michael Fish for making forecasting very very pessimistic these days.

Anyone seen Good Morning Vietnam?
The weather was the same every day every day, and the DJ said, "If you want to know what the weather is like, stick your head out of the window."

:D
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Managed to cut the lawn this evening and although it not particularly sunny its quite pleasant sitting by the pond with an ice cream.

As it warms up scores of dragon flies and damsel flies appear.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mick F wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 4:48pm Been nice today here too.
This is despite the BBC forecast saying about "weather warnings" issued by Met Office when Met Office had no such warnings.
Sun, warm, dry, calm ........... very pleasant indeed.

I blame Michael Fish for making forecasting very very pessimistic these days.
You expect, as always, that the weather forecast is exactly as predicted in your sheltered little valley micro climate?

The forecast was for hefty storms all along the South coast and some getting into S.Wales and the Midlands.
The focus would shift East along the S Coast they said.
And that was pretty much right.

Fausto reported having a hefty shower in S Wales.
A house was set on fire by lightening in Hampshire and as I write it would appear to be raining in and around London with lightening storms up into Suffolk.

The EXACT location and track of thunderstorms is pretty much impossible to forecast. They belong to wider chaotic system we call weather. It's a refreshing change from a human dominated world where all is "controlled and manipulated" to the Nth degree. IMHO.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sheltered valley?
The rest of the area way out of the valley was good and clear too.

The valley isn't particularly sheltered. We get frosts down here when out at the top is frost-free, and then they have fog, and we don't.
The winds can be an issue as we are in a wide N/S valley, and sheltered sometimes, and sometimes not at all. Very few winds don't reach us one way or another.

The roads seem to have been picked so they use the steeper bits.
Nothing diagonal and gradual at all except for the Devon bank further up.
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I think my observations confirm that your neck of the woods did escape more lightly than forecast.
But it's just a forecast and by it's nature is somewhat imprecise.
As I write parts of London have floods (probably caused in part by grids blocked with litter!).
If that had happened and not been forecast then the rhetoric would slant the other way!!
Personally I like the Met Office and reckon them pretty good.
Though I do wish they would again provide a simple text forecast without all the unavoidable and unnecessary fancy digital graphics.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Cowsham wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 8:23pm
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 12:11pm Hi,
34C last few days.
Monday noticed the cool air at night through the marshes...............normally it chills in winter time.

Spoke to docs yesterday and said stop taking candesartan, which I believe is my problem.
I have been in a black hole for at least three years and I keep going hoping one day I will change for the better.

A few months ago I was in melt down and had to stop every 1/4 of a mile coming home from a ride of just 1.5 - 2.5 hours.

Go to bed with pain in muscles and joints wake the same......................if I remain stationary for 30 minutes then it comes on only moving gives relief.......................................
That's horrible does the heat of this summer improve or make it worse?
I am not normally bothered by heat and no I have noticed no difference hot or cold .......BUT...............
When its cold I am not putting out enough power to keep warm.
So on the way home when the temp was 5C...my hands cold then feet - arms - knees even then my chest and I was chilled too much.
Alright for first hour then a few miles from home and felt bad.
Two years ago I was putting out 350 W for an hour..............earlier this year I struggled on 350.
Went out monday night and felt usual sluggish for first hour but all the way home the next 1.5 hours I felt half normal but too early to say I an turning a corner.
Another week or two and I will know for sure........................depressing after being able to stay in the saddle for 11 h 15 m in 12 then not being able to cycle for more than 40 M which feels like I have cycled 300 M without going to bed.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 1:58am Hi,
Cowsham wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 8:23pm
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 12:11pm Hi,
34C last few days.
Monday noticed the cool air at night through the marshes...............normally it chills in winter time.

Spoke to docs yesterday and said stop taking candesartan, which I believe is my problem.
I have been in a black hole for at least three years and I keep going hoping one day I will change for the better.

A few months ago I was in melt down and had to stop every 1/4 of a mile coming home from a ride of just 1.5 - 2.5 hours.

Go to bed with pain in muscles and joints wake the same......................if I remain stationary for 30 minutes then it comes on only moving gives relief.......................................
That's horrible does the heat of this summer improve or make it worse?
I am not normally bothered by heat and no I have noticed no difference hot or cold .......BUT...............
When its cold I am not putting out enough power to keep warm.
So on the way home when the temp was 5C...my hands cold then feet - arms - knees even then my chest and I was chilled too much.
Alright for first hour then a few miles from home and felt bad.
Two years ago I was putting out 350 W for an hour..............earlier this year I struggled on 350.
Went out monday night and felt usual sluggish for first hour but all the way home the next 1.5 hours I felt half normal but too early to say I an turning a corner.
Another week or two and I will know for sure........................depressing after being able to stay in the saddle for 11 h 15 m in 12 then not being able to cycle for more than 40 M which feels like I have cycled 300 M without going to bed.
Surely staying in the saddle for 11 hours 15min in 12 couldn't be good for you? What age were you when you were able to do that? I've never been able to do that -- but I've never been a competition cyclist.