How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: How's your weather?

Post by reohn2 »

Colin ,you're a brave man,I would not have ventured out the bike in that wind yesterday.

Friday night into Saturday PM the wind was galeforce about as bad as I've known it before dyingn down about 3pm.
This morning it's -2C with a very slight breeze and cloud beginning to cover,with a forecast of 4C max and the odd rain shower PM,Winterhill has a dusting of snow on it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Yesterday we had this
8E66B8B6-7A91-4F25-956F-C2C24D335161.jpeg
I helped a local farmer to shift all that and open the road. We decided it would be next week before the council got here.
Today we are covered in snow. :(
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It looks as though the world was nearly blown upside down
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just come down from our wood.

Lovely and calm out there today. Fairly mild too.
Quite a few trees down, and I've cutting a birch into 11" lengths so they fit nicely in the log splitter. The tree has been dead for quite a while, and the winds have uprooted it.

We have enough wood now to see us through until Easter. All nice and dry and dead. Ash, Willow, some Oak, and we still have quite a bit of Eucalyptus left. All it needs is for your's truly to cut it up and split it, then bring it inside. That's the hard bit!
IMG_0905.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Mick F wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 9:07am Studs?

When I was a kid in Wrightington, I took my bike onto a frozen pond and had a go at riding.
Straight down to my left, and the pedal dented the ice! :D

Just here off Robin Hood Lane. We lived a couple of hundred yards up the road from there.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.59575 ... 271824,17z
Fair play to you Mick,I don't know about you, but I don't bounce as much as I did when I was a kid, I find they're good for a bit of extra grip on a muddy towpath throughout the winter as well. I couldn't ride on 23mm tyres all year like you, it'd 'ave me fillings and false gnashers art; chacun a son gout though as the foot doctor says.
Edit; Studs 'n iced coffee on one of your old Manors Mick, Ranleigh Drive, Newburgh last winter, the bike's my only form of personal transport nowadays , and I can't walk far these days (hip and heel issues).
Update; It's just started snowing, I love the snow, it seems a longer and duller winter when there's none.
studs 'n coffee.JPG
studs 'n coffee.JPG (33.75 KiB) Viewed 312 times
Last edited by colin54 on 28 Nov 2021, 12:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nu-Fogey
colin54

Post by colin54 »

reohn2 wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 9:18am Colin ,you're a brave man, I would not have ventured out the bike in that wind yesterday.
More like foolish J007(!); I'd made my mind up to go to the bike jumble, I was going to go on the Dawes Audax I've got for sale at the moment, which is on 25mm tyres - I wouldn't have risked it on that; slight sanity prevailed though and I went on my Thorn Raven Tour which is a lovely stable ride on 1&3/4'' tyres, even in the wind , I'd have had no trouble turning around if it seemed foolish to continue.
Nu-Fogey
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Paulatic wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 10:20am Yesterday we had this
8E66B8B6-7A91-4F25-956F-C2C24D335161.jpeg
I helped a local farmer to shift all that and open the road. We decided it would be next week before the council got here.
Today we are covered in snow. :(
I suppose you'll be looking for some sort of compensation like discount of council tax et cetera.
Well I would :mrgreen:

I found out that our local council who have given up collecting some of our rubbish until next year at least.
Apparently the whole system was flawed from the beginning because they didn't have enough equipment to do the job.
Alternative is to pay someone to remove the stuff or take it to the local tip yourself and get in the queue.
Councils are requiring you today to book an appointment to even go there.
Am I the only one who carries a pruning saw in my panniers?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

colin54 wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 11:29am More like foolish.......
Speaking of which,I decided I go for a motorbike ride this morningI(Sunday),just for a couple of hours..... ......only trouble was I hadn't updated the weather forecast and was looking at yesterday's :oops: before I left,got as far as Haigh where it was was blizzard like conditions and white over,so headed for RedRock,Wigan and back to Lowton from there,20miles total.
I was bl@@dy freezing when I got in,despite wearing all the winter kit and heated grips turned up full :shock:
It's still snowing here as I type.
Last edited by reohn2 on 28 Nov 2021, 1:24pm, edited 2 times in total.
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Storm Arwen brought us a light covering of snow and as I wasn't going anywhere, I didn't clear it off the car. It slid down the windscreen and then froze. I carefully cleared the wipers this morning to prevent the risk of wiper damage when I do eventually go out in the car and within a couple of minutes it was snowing hard. The car is now covered and it's still snowing hard
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I suppose you'll be looking for some sort of compensation like discount of council tax et cetera.
Well I would :mrgreen:
I think it’s best to tell the council nowt.
Three of us not a single , chainsaw certificate, hi vis, safety clothing, digger ticket, road closure, traffic management :lol: That wasn’t needed the road was closed. We just got on with it and restored local road network. Took us less than 2 hours. If that were a council job there’d have been a wee army with all the gear complete with a few vehicles to keep warm in and at least a days work.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

evolution 6 copy.jpg
Snowing nicely in Lancashire.

On Windermere 60 boats have been blown off their moorings, lots of trees down.
No pasaran
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ncutler wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 1:32pm evolution 6 copy.jpg

Snowing nicely in Lancashire.

On Windermere 60 boats have been blown off their moorings, lots of trees down.
That's a lot of boats untethered and floating free in what's been a real gale :shock:
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

colin54 wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 11:18am............ one of your old Manors Mick, Ranleigh Drive, Newburgh .........
We lived at No7 Ranleigh Drive just as the estate was being built.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.58436 ... 312!8i6656

Next to us was a building site and fields down to the stream.
Tabby's Nook was just a lane round the back then.
Clovelly Drive was just a few houses.
Left there, though Dad lived there for some years after, in 1969 when I joined the RN.
Married to Burscough-Girl in 1973. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Mick F wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 1:58pm
colin54 wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 11:18am............ one of your old Manors Mick, Ranleigh Drive, Newburgh .........
We lived at No7 Ranleigh Drive just as the estate was being built.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.58436 ... 312!8i6656

Next to us was a building site and fields down to the stream.
Tabby's Nook was just a lane round the back then.
Tabby's Nook still floods with the run-off from the fields and the stream in the dip, too much traffic going through Newburgh nowadays for it to be a pleasant place to live, on the through roads anyway.
Nu-Fogey
colin54

Post by colin54 »

thirdcrank wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 1:19pm Storm Arwen brought us a light covering of snow and as I wasn't going anywhere, I didn't clear it off the car. It slid down the windscreen and then froze. I carefully cleared the wipers this morning to prevent the risk of wiper damage when I do eventually go out in the car and within a couple of minutes it was snowing hard. The car is now covered and it's still snowing hard
Always colder that side of the Pennines TC in my experience, our little bit of snow here in Skem' won't settle I don't think.
Nu-Fogey