How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: How's your weather?

Post by thirdcrank »

Our next-door neighbours have a dog with a really thick white coat. I can't remember the breed (if I ever knew) but her heritage must be arctic. She spends a lot of time trying to find shade, but just now she is literally in her element. She stayed outside in the snow, refusing to go inside.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 2:54pm Our next-door neighbours have a dog with a really thick white coat.
Like this, NB tail position... ?

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 2:54pm Our next-door neighbours have a dog with a really thick white coat.
I quote from a book I'm reading with a chapter regarding UK.
The first record of its existence came round 330 BCE, when a Greek explorer named Pytheas made an astonishing voyage north, possibly as far as Iceland, and along the way circumnavigated what we now know as Britain.

He wasn't believed by everyone, but that's because he also returned with stories of white bears on ice caps and the sun shining at midnight.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Jdsk wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 3:26pm

Jonathan
Hard to see against the snow :wink: Actually, that looks familiar. This isn't the land of the midnight sun, but rather what was once known as the Heavy Woollen District.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Woollen_District
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 3:54pm
Jdsk wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 3:26pm

Hard to see against the snow. Actually, that looks familiar.
That's a Samoyed. And they did originate in the far north. And they are a genuinely ancient type, unlike most breeds.

Jonathan
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

That was some wind Friday night, I have never seen as many trees down, very sad to see, a lot of wonderful old broadleaves down too.

The road was the other side of the wall, had to resort to walking in the fields.
well over 3 hours for 20 mile...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Pebble wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 8:24pm That was some wind Friday night, I have never seen as many trees down, very sad to see, a lot of wonderful old broadleaves down too.
I don't agree in the slightest.
We, in UK, have too many trees, and the one's we have that are blown down, were in the wrong place to start with.
We've had trees for thousands and thousands and thousands of years, and they die, and then new ones take their place.

On the radio a few weeks ago, some common-sense was being said - unusual I know! - and the point was made that we shouldn't be planting trees, but setting aside land to allow trees to naturally seed and grow. Any that are blown over or succumb to the weather, so be it.

Sorry to be a kill-joy.
Mick F. Cornwall
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

We have too many species not naturally native to the UK like the fast growing Pines planted all over our Countryside for commercial use but I would disagree that we have too many native broadleaves!When you consider how much deforestation has occurred in the UK over the centuries to make way for progress,ie housing,industry,agriculture,roads etc we probably have 60% less trees than we had,say,a thousand years ago.
We need to plant more native species IMO!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

colin54 wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 8:44am I went out to go to the cycle jumble at Longridge yesterday, fantastically windy (N) and cold, but dry.
Almost blown to a halt on the road downhill from Skem, and nearly blown off the towpath into the L&L canal, when the gusts coincided with gaps in the hedgerows,
I was having to ride with the rear brake dragging on slightly to keep on the path, and had to get off and push a couple of times, it's quite often windy in West Lanc's, with the prevailing westerlies off the Atlantic/Irish seas, but I think that's the strongest wind I've experienced in my six years of living in here.
Berrys and small branches blown off the hedges, and one tree blown down on the estate I live on.
After a mild debacle with my onward train journey, I called it a draw and went to the market in Ormskirk instead. I eventually decided to ride home only to discover a thorn puncture from the towpath; I'd had enough by then and got
one of the good folks at H.Middleton cycles to put me a tube in - never had a bike shop do that before; luxury. I had a leisurely walk around for a bit whilst the repair was effected.
I think the mechanic in there said he got seven thorns from the tyre, only one had gotten through though, and I repaired the tube when I got home.
I took this picture of the snow on the tops of Bowland Fell (I think), on the ride home.
A grand day out.
P1160179 (4).JPG
Just dry and freezing this morning, and the wind has died down, thankfully.
Time to put the studs on the shopping bike for the winter, I think.
Not only dangerous in the wind Colin that's a bloody long cycle if I'm following the journey right, from your post.
I am here. Where are you?
colin54

Post by colin54 »

[quote=Cowsham post_id=1656359 time=1638142189 user_id=49269

Not only dangerous in the wind Colin that's a bloody long cycle if I'm following the journey right, from your post.
[/quote]
Not really Cowsham. The Jumble was from 9am to Midday, and to ride to Longridge would have been a 60 mile round-trip approximately, so I was going to ride from Skem' to Burscough Junction - 6 miles, then train to Preston, and then ride to Longridge - 8 miles, so only 14 mile on the road to the event .
Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, the train was running late. I'd not taken a journey from that station before and it's on a single track line, I boarded the train as it came through thinking it was going to Preston, inevitably it was the Preston train going to Ormskirk, to then turn about. I'd already bought a single ticket to Preston from the station machine rather than a return by mistake, so decided upon arrival at Ormskirk that this wasn't going to be my day. Insufficient sleep due to the wind noise during the night was making my decision making more than slightly illogical, so I gave up on the day's planned outing at that point.
I ended up buying cakes on the market in Ormskirk, and eating them watching the lunchtime football match on TV with my brother instead, when I eventually arrived home (after getting my puncture fixed), best decision of the day !
It's -2 degrees C at the moment with a slight easterly, rather than westerly breeze for a change. I'm going to take my regular Monday ride to Southport to watch the birds on the Marsh, and see if I can get a less scruffy picture of the visiting Glossy Ibis than this one ( if it's still there).
P1150924 (2).JPG
Just by-the-by, does anyone know where the degree symbol is on a laptop key board, is there one ?
Nu-Fogey
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

colin54 wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 8:17am Just by-the-by, does anyone know where the degree symbol is on a laptop key board, is there one ?
There isn't one on most Laptops.There are two ways to get one on a Windows keyboard:-
Alt key, and on the numeric keypad on the right of the keyboard, type 0176 or Alt+ 248 if you don't have the numeric keys on the right.
I use Alt/0176>10°
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Much obliged HH, have a good day !
Nu-Fogey
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

colin54 wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 8:17amJust by-the-by, does anyone know where the degree symbol is on a laptop key board, is there one ?
What type of computer and which keyboard, please?

On English Mac keyboards it's Option-Shift-8.

Various methods in MS Office, including Alt-0176 (as above):
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/off ... f7a862a8b7

Jonathan
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Jdsk wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 8:49am
colin54 wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 8:17amJust by-the-by, does anyone know where the degree symbol is on a laptop key board, is there one ?
What type of computer and which keyboard, please?

On English Mac keyboards it's Option-Shift-8.

Various methods in MS Office, including Alt-0176 (as above):
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/off ... f7a862a8b7

Jonathan
It's a new ASUS X515 ( that's all I know, my brother chose it for me).
https://www.asus.com/uk/Laptops/For-Hom ... ASUS-X515/
I'm going to try out Hellhound's methods on the forum's Test board, once I've finished my breakfast . :)
Is ''English Mac'' yin o' they oxymorons divve ken, J ?
Nu-Fogey
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

colin54 wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 9:05am Is ''English Mac'' an oxymoron'' do ye ken, J ?
I ken the noo!

: - )

Jonathan