How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
gbnz

Re: How's your weather?

Post by gbnz »

al_yrpal wrote: We are on unmetered water and our water rates are a crazy £900 per annum l

Hmm....have to admit I'm on metered water and was very concerned about the costs I was potentially incurring in watering annual / biannual plants on a shared stretch of common grass verge :? (NB. It is only a temporary rental property, but turning a blind eye to a stretch of half dead, overgrown, unkempt grass verge for a couple of years wasn't an option). And so, started off the bank holiday with 40 minutes calculating the costs; £0.0025 per watering can and so, it is affordable (NB. Though six watering cans a day max, two of which are "saved" water from other uses :wink: )

And today, weather wise? Definately a sun bathing day, too much exercise in the past two weeks and today is definately the best of the week forecast, weather wise
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Just looked it up...

Fixed Charge per property £156
Water, multi occupancy £274 since there are 3 of us, sometimes 4
Sewage multi occupancy £476

Total £906 !

But, we have a big garden needs lots of water, lots of washing due to my special needs grandson who has to have a bath every night, paddling pool, dishwasher :D Plus, lots of guests. 5 toilets, 4 showers, 1 bath, 3 sinks.

So, water meter dilemma?

Al :(

Edit, I have installed 2 water butts which both filled up within 2 hours of steady rain due to huge roofs...but they dont help. There are 2 ponds too.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
If you have three people living in the house and you're using that much water, a meter would probably cost you more for sure.
You can of course get a meter installed and then get it removed inside one year.
It might be an option but you would have to then be careful how you use your water and how much?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
rjb

Post by rjb »

al_yrpal wrote:Just looked it up...

Fixed Charge per property £156
Water, multi occupancy £274 since there are 3 of us, sometimes 4
Sewage multi occupancy £476

Total £906 !

But, we have a big garden needs lots of water, lots of washing due to my special needs grandson who has to have a bath every night, paddling pool, dishwasher :D Plus, lots of guests. 5 toilets, 4 showers, 1 bath, 3 sinks.

So, water meter dilemma?

Al :(

Edit, I have installed 2 water butts which both filled up within 2 hours of steady rain due to huge roofs...but they dont help. There are 2 ponds too.

Speak to your water supplier, they may offer a discount if you have special needs. :wink:
Some suppliers over the option of removing your installed meter after 12 months if your metered water use exceeds the standard charge. :wink:
Sorry this is repeating what NA has just said. :oops:

Just back home after our morning ride. Glorious weather down here in Somerset, I've not seen so many people out on bikes today, lots of normal people, families etc, plus the regular club riders. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Realised why Mick's water bill is so cheap. Cesspit, no sewage charges?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Almost worryingly long dry spell. Odd shower or 2, but I have ridden 71 consecutive mornings with only 1 short shower. Not right!
peetee

Post by peetee »

Particularly warm today. Forecast said 15 Celsius but it felt higher. Either way the sun was very strong and after my morning ride I spent this afternoon feeling really grotty. It happens every year that I react quite badly the first time I spend a couple of hours in the heat and sun.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

djnotts wrote:Almost worryingly long dry spell. Odd shower or 2, but I have ridden 71 consecutive mornings with only 1 short shower. Not right!

Yer right it's not right,you shower after every ride! :? :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

reohn2 wrote:
djnotts wrote:Almost worryingly long dry spell. Odd shower or 2, but I have ridden 71 consecutive mornings with only 1 short shower. Not right!

I most definitely do not! Once a week if I need one or not!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

djnotts wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

As often as that?
You must be squeaky clean :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
peetee

Post by peetee »

reohn2 wrote:
djnotts wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Yer right it's not right,you shower after every ride! :? :mrgreen:

As often as that?
You must be squeaky clean :shock:

So clean the rats have moved in, eh?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
RickH

Post by RickH »

al_yrpal wrote:Realised why Mick's water bill is so cheap. Cesspit, no sewage charges?

Al

Your seemed a lot so I checked ours (unmetered) - £368 roughly 50:50 split between water supply & dealing with waste. It is based on the old rateable value of £111 (when did rates go out of fashion? That seems a Monopoly money value with our council tax being north of £2k) with a multiplier applied. It is also around £15 less than last year.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

al_yrpal wrote:Realised why Mick's water bill is so cheap. Cesspit, no sewage charges?
Yes.
We just pay for supply.
No mains drainage at all.

Never got off our bums to pursue the meter idea, but friends of ours asked to go on a meter but SW Water couldn't fit one due to something-or-other, so they are on a metered rate but with no meter. The charge is assessed with respect to the size of the household rather than a flat rate from rateable value. They are on mains drainage and sewerage, but their charge is still higher than ours. (can't remember what it was)

If we were to ask, there's a good possibility that they couldn't fit one .......... many reasons that I won't go into due to location of the stop cock ......... so we could be onto a winner - or not.

I'm not a gambler, so I'll stick.
Mick F. Cornwall
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

My 'metered' water bill is roughly £240 a year.
(Includes sewerage)

Only two of us in the house though.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Records have tumbled!!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52877912

Met office spokesperson astounded!!

NW Wales is like a crisp!