How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Re: How's your weather?

Postby al_yrpal » 29 Feb 2020, 10:19am

With all the dire warnings of rain and wind yesterday I joined 6 other old U3A Codgers for a 5 mile walk. It turned out to be a Wade! The mud was appalling, the fields were really soggy, new springs were bursting out of banks and creating new streams. Two dropped out before we left and one met us in the pub for the £5 carvery. But we enjoyed it. After all its just a bit of rain. Think of those places blessed with a monsoon!

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

ferrit worrier

Postby ferrit worrier » 29 Feb 2020, 10:42am

Called into Stockport this morning for some landy spares. Hand a look at the confluence of the Goyt and the Tame at Tiviot Dale that forms the start of the Mersey
IMG_1129.JPG

IMG_1128.JPG

This is the Tame where it passes under the M60. up several feet. the Goyt enters from the left.

IMG_1127.JPG

The Goyt
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.

peetee

Postby peetee » 29 Feb 2020, 12:05pm

francovendee wrote:
Mick F wrote:Up at 06:30, as dawn came the sky was clear and blue with a promise of a bike ride.
Breakfast at 08:00 and the clouds came over and it sleeted.
Still going on a ride as I don't care what it's doing out there ...................I'M GOING ON A RIDE! :twisted:

We call that cabin fever!
When we get weather like we're having we wake up and say 'I don't car what the weather is like I'm going for a ride'.
Come back soaked but overall feel better for getting out.

There is a club ride tomorrow morning, the first for several weeks due to the wind and rain so I don’t want to miss it. I have done next to no mileage this month. I feel cabin fever coming on and my legs are beginning to feel like a couple of soggy Twiglets. I did a little recce this morning on foot, to check out the conditions and buy a few foxgloves for the shady patch I cleared in the garden when the weather was too hit-and-miss to do a proper bike ride. Lovely and bright here but, oh boy, there’s a cold sharp wind a-blowin!
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 29 Feb 2020, 1:56pm

I was out for an hour and a half.
Fully dressed for the weather expecting the worst. Left home at 9am.

Strong westerly generally, and it was behind me the five miles over the hills to Tavistock. I felt overdressed as the sun was shining and I was perhaps over-warm.

I turned north up the Launceston road to Lamerton and the cold wind seemed against me. Glad I was over dressed! Quite chilly, but still dry and bright. Descended back into the Tamar Valley and it was COLD coming down through the trees. I was glad to climb out of the bottom of the valley to come home. I remained dry throughout the 13odd miles.

By 11:30 I took doggie for an hour's walk. Still dry, but by the time we made it to the Rising Sun Inn for a Bonio and a beer, the sleet had arrived. Just made it through the door when it came down with a vengeance!

Only had a couple of beers - and only one Bonio - then walked home ........... just as the heavens opened again! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 29 Feb 2020, 2:32pm

A bit of snow and sleet this morning. Raised the spirits of our local Del Boy who has a job lot of plastic sledges to shift. :D Unfortunately it didnt lay. :(

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

rjb

Postby rjb » 29 Feb 2020, 4:33pm

We had that sleet too, just after you. Tandem in the garage and we went for a walk around the village calling in to the local community cafe for a wedge of chocolate cake and tea for me and coffee for the stoker. :lol: Its the wind thats stopping us from going out, its hard work pedalling for two. :(
Just noticed on the grid web site the wind generation is climbing exponentially, it cant be all down to new wind turbines coming on line.
http://grid.iamkate.com/
Look at the all time quarterly average to see how windy its getting.
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 29 Feb 2020, 5:12pm

Waiting for 100 kph gales to arrive.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 29 Feb 2020, 7:06pm

In a word "rough".

Though we saw the sun earlier.
Pressure's right down.
The other adjustable pointer is from the record anticyclone a month or so back.
A changable climate!!
image.jpg

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 29 Feb 2020, 7:49pm

Can't remember the exact figure, but when I booted up my Garmin Montana this morning for a ride and calibrated the altimeter, the BP was 975mb.

Very low.
Mick F. Cornwall

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 29 Feb 2020, 9:52pm

When my Garmin came on it said.........
"Where have you been?"!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
[color=#FF0000][/color]

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 17 Mar 2020, 6:43pm

It was dry for 24hrs yesterday, but it sprinkled a tiny tiny bit late morning for a little tiny while.
Basically, we're on the cards for two complete dry days .................. consecutively. First time since September.

The leaves that fell last autumn have been soggy and wet since they landed - until today.
If the dryness lasts overnight tonight, I may get the leaf-blower out tomorrow and blow them all to kingdom come.

I live in hope. :D
Mick F. Cornwall

rjb

Postby rjb » 18 Mar 2020, 11:47am

Floods have dropped off the radar recently so we rode out to check up on the situation. This is Curry Moor pumping station at Athelney this morning (where Alfred burnt the scones). East lyng church stands out on the other side on the main A361 to Glastonbury. Local roads are still submerged and the environment agency have supplemented the installed pumps with extra capacity to shift the water quicker. The river tone is still bankfull so anymore rain is likely to spill over again to top up the moor. A knock on effect to this is that just beyond the pumping station a railway bridge crosses the river ( main line from the west country to London) and network rail have had to delay replacing the rail bridge deck as the water is up to the base of the bridge.
DSCF0018.JPG
River Tone at Athelney

DSCF0019.JPG
Flooding on Curry Moor
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

peetee

Postby peetee » 20 Mar 2020, 6:16pm

Dry here at present and likely to be next week too. However there is a stiff easterly wind and by ‘eck, it’s a cold one. Did 20k off-road and the ride out was bloomin hard work.
The forecast is sunny spells for the foreseeable but if this wind persists that’s not going to be as pleasant as it could be.
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

rotavator

Postby rotavator » 20 Mar 2020, 6:29pm

The second of two lovely sunny, Spring-like days in Cumbria. I wish I was on holiday!

sjs

Postby sjs » 20 Mar 2020, 7:38pm

rotavator wrote:The second of two lovely sunny, Spring-like days in Cumbria. I wish I was on holiday!

Cold and damp here. It finally looks as if the weather next week might start to make commuting pleasurable again, just as most of the time I'll have to work from home.