How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
peetee

Re: How's your weather?

Post by peetee »

Mick F wrote:
JohnW wrote:
peetee wrote:You might be ok this afty. It’s been dry here all morning.

I think, to endorse Mick's sentiments, that peetee's comments sum it all up - "You MIGHT be OK this afternoon..................been dry here all morning".
IT'S BEEN THE WAY OF IT FOR MONTHS,THAT DRY MORNING ENDS IN WET AFTERNOON - PROMISE OF DRY AFTERNOON HAS BEEN PRECEDED BY WET MORNING, AND A COUPLE OF HOURS WET OVER MIDDAY HAS WRECKED A DAY'S CYCLING.
Yep - it's been like that for flippin' months.
The only variation has been snow/sleet/hail in the place of rain.
Spot on.

Flippin' months.
I reckon since late September.

I am pretty sure we have only had 4 totally dry days since September.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

peetee wrote:
Mick F wrote:
JohnW wrote:I think, to endorse Mick's sentiments, that peetee's comments sum it all up - "You MIGHT be OK this afternoon..................been dry here all morning".
IT'S BEEN THE WAY OF IT FOR MONTHS,THAT DRY MORNING ENDS IN WET AFTERNOON - PROMISE OF DRY AFTERNOON HAS BEEN PRECEDED BY WET MORNING, AND A COUPLE OF HOURS WET OVER MIDDAY HAS WRECKED A DAY'S CYCLING.
Spot on.

Flippin' months.

I've not been counting Pete, but that sounds about right.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We've had more, but as I said, no consecutive ones. Maybe one dry day per fortnight, but can't really state any fact on this.
Should be dry today, but tomorrow is forecast to be awful again.

No end in sight to this, and I pity those poor people suffering with floods.
Mick F. Cornwall
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Three times average February rainfall recorded by Lancaster met station already and another storm tomorrow...
toontra

Post by toontra »

geocycle wrote:Three times average February rainfall recorded by Lancaster met station already and another storm tomorrow...

I'd be interested if there were similar records kept for average wind speed. If so I'd bet January and February would similarly be up by a factor of 2 or 3. For cyclists that's a big problem!
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

toontra wrote:
geocycle wrote:Three times average February rainfall recorded by Lancaster met station already and another storm tomorrow...

I'd be interested if there were similar records kept for average wind speed. If so I'd bet January and February would similarly be up by a factor of 2 or 3. For cyclists that's a big problem!

Yes I think you are right. I happened to meet the guy who runs the measurements yesterday. I'll ask him about the windspeed data if I see him again.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

peetee wrote:
Mick F wrote:
JohnW wrote:I think, to endorse Mick's sentiments, that peetee's comments sum it all up - "You MIGHT be OK this afternoon..................been dry here all morning".
Spot on.

Flippin' months.

Weird. We stayed near Camelford for 3 nights over New Year. Rained on NYD (a little), but I don't recall rain on the last 3 days of December. I have pictures of the sunshine!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'm thinking of building a houseboat :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
You know when it's raining because there is a river running down our road, fortunately we live on a hill not at the bottom, someone I used towork with owns the house at the bottom and was a complete constantly being flooded out filling up their garage :(
I've not been out on the bike much recently so I've had no reason to go to the marshes, A guy got washed away on his pushbike here one year and had to be rescued, it floods regularly and I still remember the water sloshing on my thighs, but I won't be doing that any time soon because I had to dismantle the rear wheel after it started to grumble.
They showed a picture in the local press from the road with the cycle path flooded, I think if I'd of gone through it probably would be up to my waist.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mattheus wrote: ......... but I don't recall rain on the last 3 days of December. I have pictures of the sunshine!
I keep a diary, and have them going back to 1989. Notes really, not a diary as such. Often note the weather if there's something interesting to report.

Looking at the last week in December 2019 for weather, I see:
Mon 23/12 dry and bright
Tue 24/12 nothing noted
Wed 25/12 VV sunny and chilly
Thur 26/12 rain
Fri 27/12 drizzle
Sat 28/12 damp
Sun 29/12 nothing noted
Mon 30/12 Bike Ride! :D
Tue 31/12 rain am damp pm
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

mattheus wrote:Weird. We stayed near Camelford for 3 nights over New Year. Rained on NYD (a little), but I don't recall rain on the last 3 days of December. I have pictures of the sunshine!

Well that’s a good 40 miles away so could well be in a different state to us. Years ago I was at college up the road where we studied at the top floor of a five story building (nothing between us and America, we used to joke). Many times we would look one way and see sunshine for hours and look the other way and see rain, rain and more rain.
Today the cloud base is really low and the air is full of mizzle. The top of the mine building over the road is about 450 ft above sea level and was disappearing into grey.
Last edited by peetee on 28 Feb 2020, 11:15am, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Perhaps you're a Rain God?

(this is a Douglas Adams reference, in case you're not familiar with his work … )
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well no snow in London South :(
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Up at 06:30, as dawn came the sky was clear and blue with a promise of a bike ride.
Breakfast at 08:00 and the clouds came over and it sleeted.
Still going on a ride as I don't care what it's doing out there ...................I'M GOING ON A RIDE! :twisted:
Mick F. Cornwall
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Mick F wrote:Up at 06:30, as dawn came the sky was clear and blue with a promise of a bike ride.
Breakfast at 08:00 and the clouds came over and it sleeted.
Still going on a ride as I don't care what it's doing out there ...................I'M GOING ON A RIDE! :twisted:

We call that cabin fever!
When we get weather like we're having we wake up and say 'I don't car what the weather is like I'm going for a ride'.
Come back soaked but overall feel better for getting out.