BBC have stopped iplayer

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
RickH

Re: BBC have stopped iplayer

Post by RickH »

This was posted on the BBC news site earlier:-

BBC News - BBC iPlayer stops working on some Samsung TVs
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
random37

Post by random37 »

Smart TVs are dreadful and creepy. When our current TV dies, it won't be replaced by a smart TV; if none of the manufacturers produce a straightforward TV we'll have no tv. Who wants to buy a device only to find you get bombarded with adverts?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

random37 wrote:Smart TVs are dreadful and creepy. When our current TV dies, it won't be replaced by a smart TV; if none of the manufacturers produce a straightforward TV we'll have no tv. Who wants to buy a device only to find you get bombarded with adverts?

What adverts? Don't get any adverts on mine (unless I watch an on demand channel that has advert breaks - e.g ch 4).

It's just a computer stuck inside, tbh you'd be better off just using the TV as a giant monitor, it's what I do. It's still "smart" though because the device plugged into it is smart...
random37

Post by random37 »

I went round to a friend's house the other day. Her mammoth TV was switched on, but just the menu.
It started randomly playing adverts. I thought that was the default behaviour on many of them.
Last edited by random37 on 12 Dec 2019, 10:30am, edited 1 time in total.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

RickH wrote:This was posted on the BBC news site earlier:-

BBC News - BBC iPlayer stops working on some Samsung TVs

The OP originally claimed it's a left wing conspiracy by the BBC to stop him using iplayer. It's actually because Samsung let their TV security certificates expire.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

random37 wrote:I went round to a friend's house the other day. Her mammoth TV was switched on, but just the menu.
It started randomly playing adverts. I thought that was the default behaviour on many of them.

Can't say I've ever noticed but then I don't sit in menus.

If I turn my TV on its because I want to watch something, so turn it on, select menu option, find program, watch.
There are probably banner ads for other content - like on iPlayer but tbh I don't usually pay them attention.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

trouble with smart tvs you dont know how smart it is getting up to since they are connected to the internet - maybe sending viewer info back - how would you know it aint? since it is on your home network it also could be a way for intruders to take a peek whats on your other computers? ditto for these intrernet of things things
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:trouble with smart tvs you dont know how smart it is getting up to since they are connected to the internet - maybe sending viewer info back - how would you know it aint? since it is on your home network it also could be a way for intruders to take a peek whats on your other computers? ditto for these intrernet of things things

Who cares?

Put them on their own network.
It means if you want to connect to them from your 'real' computers then you have to go out and come back in again.

Might be worth pointing out that for all the noise most (if not all) attacks come via peoples computers.
When it comes to a competition to keep networks safe between device manufacturers and clueless users I know where I'd put my bet.
random37

Post by random37 »

kwackers wrote:Who cares?

I care! I don't have anything to hide, but I've nothing to show them either. Besides, I paid for my devices. I don't expect them to extract more value from the transaction so they can send me advertising.
kwackers wrote:Might be worth pointing out that for all the noise most (if not all) attacks come via peoples computers.
When it comes to a competition to keep networks safe between device manufacturers and clueless users I know where I'd put my bet.

Security and privacy are not the same thing. Smart TVs might be secure. They aren't private. Do you really want to invite that into your house?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

random37 wrote:I care! I don't have anything to hide, but I've nothing to show them either. Besides, I paid for my devices. I don't expect them to extract more value from the transaction so they can send me advertising.

You paid for the device - so what?
Did you pay for the content? If you're not paying directly then advertising is how they get their cash.
random37 wrote:Security and privacy are not the same thing. Smart TVs might be secure. They aren't private. Do you really want to invite that into your house?

OMG - they KNOW what you're watching!!!!

Or as I suggested earlier, use the TV as a monitor.
Knowing what you're watching is the least of your worries, there are far more insidious forms of monitoring going on that involve far more than spotting you like to watch 1984 on repeat.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

pete75 wrote:
Cugel wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Now if a pink bike was good enough for this recently deceased gent tis good enough for thee :D

I have that cap. The jersey is also tempting but I want-a-one in merino not plastic. :-)

Cugel

Here we are - 110 quid though. Assos would probably charge that for a polyester jersey.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercier-Hutc ... PzxJy_WcbQ

Tempting - although I needs the XL for me 44 inch chest. Still, ithe 42 inch would be nice and snug.

The Faemino jersey they sell is in the cycling clothes cupboard just now, next to a woolly Flandria one. But when one has the Mercier cap .......

There's also another first in my mental queue - a blue Zeus merino from that New Zealand. I can only hope I make the next birfday. :-)

https://www.soigneur.co.nz/product/1149339?nav=ccy

Those sheeps - I love 'em.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cugel wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
Psamathe wrote:You mean if Corbyn gets in Samsung owners will have more problems or that Corbyn will mean Samsung owners have to wait longer for a fix for Samsung problems?

I'd not been aware that Corbyn had any policies about Samsung Smart TVs? Thanks for pointing that out (though as a Sony TV person it probably wont affect me).

Ian

No need, that would involve things like evidence. All you do is state Jeremy Corbyn is going to insist that all bikes are pink..... and the world is expected to believe it and vote Tory

I'm not painting my bike pink! Well, not unless its a certain shade of pink that I refer to as "afternoon delight".

Mind, if them Tory criminals get in I'm not painting the bikes bloo neever. Black, they'll be - in mourning for the final loss of democracy in Blighterland.

Cugel

Totally OT, and one of those facts you don't actually need to know.

In 1976 the Starland Band released the award-winning single "Afternoon Delight"

[youtube]2NUkhMq_iRo[/youtube]

THere were campaigns to get it banned due to the sexual innuendo!
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

mercalia wrote:
DaveReading wrote:
Postboxer wrote:Roku (small black mains powered box under TV - connects to TV via HDMI port) - yet another remote though! Uses wifi signal for i-player and loads more on-line stuff... At £24 (when I bought ours) much less painful to upgrade when needed (compared to new TV), although will currently get software upgrades via WiFi.

That may or may not be the same as the NowTV stick (£25 from Amazon). We've had one for a year or so, works well for all the catchup services and comes with various other apps like YouTube, TED, etc.

Edit: £14.99 direct from NowTV, so pretty much a no-brainer.

https://www.nowtv.com/smart-tv-stick

My NowTV box ( under the skins a Roku) cost me £5 way back as was a Sky enticement to get a Sky sub ( I didnt) I rarely ever use it as it is so underpowered takes ages to load services. It does get updates I think.

Yes, we had the original white box and I agree its performance was dire. The new stick is a great improvement, with a vastly superior (non-optical) remote,
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Smart devices of all sorts have complex software driving them, it quite possible that the Samsung devices mentioned were not to the correct standards when first produced, and that the software/firmware updates are designed to correct this.

Given the Samsung link I susect it highly kikely that the BCC worked with Samsung (and indeed other manufacturers) when making changes.

The really odd thing is the plethora of difficulties associated with some of the other catchup channels or apps not being available on certain makes of TV!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !