BBC have stopped iplayer

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: BBC have stopped iplayer

Post by pete75 »

CX-3 wrote:If you are on a Samsung TV then BBC have put out changes to iplayer that mean you can no longer watch it on many models. No warning from this state monopoly (We'll get more of this if Jerry gets in) and the best that Samsung can offer is an update sometime next year.

Intetweb is full of angst but the [ another tedious repetition ] at beeb just shrug their extremely well paid shoulders <SNIP>. Well they do have an election to rig, sorry cover.

Anyone else suffering? I can't watch the Repair Shop, and I'm damned if I'm going to watch Kuensberg.

There obviously was some warning to the TV manufacturers because Samsung have produced updates for some of their TVs. Anyhow there's a quick, easy and cost free solution to the problem.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

It was publicised, as is the problem with Netflix

It is the old problem of Microsoft, DRM and software changes. There is an explanation here

Note that some Roku boxes are affected as well
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cunobelin wrote:It was publicised, as is the problem with Netflix

It is the old problem of Microsoft, DRM and software changes. There is an explanation here

Note that some Roku boxes are affected as well

Ah ha! The dreaded DRM, another toxic exudation of the copyright scams.

When I'm dictator, producers of books, music, plays, films and all the rest will have to pay me to read, listen to or watch their efforts. I will charge a bit more for writing a valuable criticism of their "work". :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

CX-3 wrote:If you are on a Samsung TV then BBC have put out changes to iplayer that mean you can no longer watch it on many models. No warning from this state monopoly (We'll get more of this if Jerry gets in) and the best that Samsung can offer is an update sometime next year. .....

You mean if Corbyn gets in Samsung owners will have more problems or that Corbyn will mean Samsung owners have to wait longer for a fix for Samsung problems?

I'd not been aware that Corbyn had any policies about Samsung Smart TVs? Thanks for pointing that out (though as a Sony TV person it probably wont affect me).

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:I'd not been aware that Corbyn had any policies about Samsung Smart TVs? Thanks for pointing that out (though as a Sony TV person it probably wont affect me).

Your lack of solidarity in opposing Corbyn shows you're not a true Conservative! Of course, if you showed solidarity, that would show you're not a true Conservative... :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

DaveReading wrote:
Postboxer wrote:Roku (small black mains powered box under TV - connects to TV via HDMI port) - yet another remote though! Uses wifi signal for i-player and loads more on-line stuff... At £24 (when I bought ours) much less painful to upgrade when needed (compared to new TV), although will currently get software upgrades via WiFi.

That may or may not be the same as the NowTV stick (£25 from Amazon). We've had one for a year or so, works well for all the catchup services and comes with various other apps like YouTube, TED, etc.

Edit: £14.99 direct from NowTV, so pretty much a no-brainer.

https://www.nowtv.com/smart-tv-stick

My NowTV box ( under the skins a Roku) cost me £5 way back as was a Sky enticement to get a Sky sub ( I didnt) I rarely ever use it as it is so underpowered takes ages to load services. It does get updates I think.

The best way to watch tv used to be Microsoft Media Center on a windows 7 pc hooked up to a tv , as the progammes you downloaded were not encrypted, no drm. But that got harder in the end as it didnt support HD very well - the epg wasnt got properly so you had to use external means to supply that and had to add other codecs to eg handle blu ray type material ( not hard ). I still have mine but mainly for showing progammes I had downloaded over the years or from ripped blu-rays or got elsewhere. ( 16 Tb now)
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Psamathe wrote:
CX-3 wrote:If you are on a Samsung TV then BBC have put out changes to iplayer that mean you can no longer watch it on many models. No warning from this state monopoly (We'll get more of this if Jerry gets in) and the best that Samsung can offer is an update sometime next year. .....

You mean if Corbyn gets in Samsung owners will have more problems or that Corbyn will mean Samsung owners have to wait longer for a fix for Samsung problems?

I'd not been aware that Corbyn had any policies about Samsung Smart TVs? Thanks for pointing that out (though as a Sony TV person it probably wont affect me).

Ian

No need, that would involve things like evidence. All you do is state Jeremy Corbyn is going to insist that all bikes are pink..... and the world is expected to believe it and vote Tory
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cunobelin wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

No need, that would involve things like evidence. All you do is state Jeremy Corbyn is going to insist that all bikes are pink..... and the world is expected to believe it and vote Tory

I'm not painting my bike pink! Well, not unless its a certain shade of pink that I refer to as "afternoon delight".

Mind, if them Tory criminals get in I'm not painting the bikes bloo neever. Black, they'll be - in mourning for the final loss of democracy in Blighterland.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cugel wrote:
I'm not painting my bike pink! Well, not unless its a certain shade of pink that I refer to as "afternoon delight".

Mind, if them Tory criminals get in I'm not painting the bikes bloo neever. Black, they'll be - in mourning for the final loss of democracy in Blighterland.

Cugel

Now if a pink bike was good enough for this recently deceased gent tis good enough for thee :D

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

pete75 wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Cugel

Now if a pink bike was good enough for this recently deceased gent tis good enough for thee :D

I have that cap. The jersey is also tempting but I want-a-one in merino not plastic. :-)

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cugel wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Cugel

I have that cap. The jersey is also tempting but I want-a-one in merino not plastic. :-)

Cugel

Here we are - 110 quid though. Assos would probably charge that for a polyester jersey.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercier-Hutc ... PzxJy_WcbQ
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, Wot's Wrong Wiv Pink? Good enough for Giro D Italia, good enough for me!
But in Britain I went Mercian Pink 8) . TTFN MM
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What's on his jersey?
Mercian? :D

I have one, and still wear it now and again.
Here's me at JOG in 1994 just off on my way to LE.
JOG Hostel.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
RickH

Post by RickH »

Mick F wrote:What's on his jersey?

I think his says "Mercier" (champagne producer?)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

RickH wrote:
Mick F wrote:What's on his jersey?

I think his says "Mercier" (champagne producer?)

Mercier - a very famous bike manufacturer who also ran a racing team for many years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercier_(cycling_team)