Waste Disposal (Bath)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
djnotts

Waste Disposal (Bath)

Post by djnotts »

Just had bathroom ripped out. Toilet, cistern, sink, plinth all easily smashed with sledge hammer and together with tiling/plaster all fitted into 1 Rhino bag for cheap and easy disposal. The bath is "plastic" - will it also give way to the big hammer? Not sure if fibre glass involved so would rather not saw it up (my lungs are quite rubbish enough).
PH

Re: Waste Disposal (Bath)

Post by PH »

Stick it on freecycle before doing anything, I see them used in horse fields and on allotments quite often and I'm sure they'll have other non bath uses.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Good thinking. Not sure what freecycle is, but if I can't sus it there's the local neighbourhood group. Thanks.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm doing our bathroom. Just put the second coat on the ceiling.

We have solid floors (bungalow) and the bathroom has quarry tiles. It's always been a cold room, so whilst Mrs Mick F is away, I've joisted out the floor and fitted pine floorboards. Next idea is to panel off the outside internal walls, but the floorboards have made a terrific difference, I don't think it's required at all.

Meanwhile, I had to remove the loo and the bath and raise the plumbing and fittings 40mm. Very complicated to do.

Not done the wash basin so the floorboards aren't quite complete yet. The wash basin is crazed and tired so needs renewing, but there's no way that I would dare to buy one without SWMBO picking it. She's back next week, so I should be finished in there by Christmas.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ask a farmer if s/he wants it for a water trough for animals,I see quite a few in the corner pf fields for horses and cattle.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

All too much hard work for me! I sourced cheap stuff in as near like-for-like as still available and simply paid 2 people to rip out, skim, re-tile part and fit new suite! I no longer have the strength to do such work and the dust would shorten my life by at least a year. I shall probably do the paper and paint. Personally I wouldn't have bothered (nor with the kitchen which I have recently had done), but daughter and GF both insistent that I shouldn't be living in a 1970s slum and I know when to concede! Careful buying will have "refreshed" both rooms for combined <5K and probably put double that on house value.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

reohn2 wrote:Ask a farmer if s/he wants it for a water trough for animals,I see quite a few in the corner pf fields for horses and cattle.

I know no farmers - and they are few and far away round here!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

djnotts wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Ask a farmer if s/he wants it for a water trough for animals,I see quite a few in the corner pf fields for horses and cattle.

I know no farmers - and they are few and far away round here!

Just a thought
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
horizon

Post by horizon »

The problem with replacing a bathroom is that it does create a huge amount of what is basically unrecyclable waste unless you can find someone who can make use of it. However this is unlikely as anyone else will face the same issue - the need to replace coloured bathroom suites and tiling with white ones in a modern style. For wealthier householders this isn't a problem, but poorer households face misery for years to come having to use avocado wash basins and cisterns. It is well known that non-white bathroom suites, particularly toilet bowls, harbour over 2000% more germs than white ones. Even just the humble sky-blue wash basin can cause a syndrome called "Not as fresh-looking as your neighbour's" which can lead to nausea and depression. Tired looking decor in a bathroom soon leads to tired looking people who don't get the freshness and zing from a new white and chrome bathroom every morning. And busy mums with their busy lifestyles are hard pressed to stay cheerful cleaning a sad looking 90s peach-coloured bathroom suite. Society is fighting what is essentially a war against old-fashioned bathrooms: Dettol is leading the way, building awareness of the huge threats lurking in what was once considered a natural process (how naive we were!). A new, white bathroom, a few gallons of Dettol, some thick, comfy, warm white towels and lots of marketing steam should save Britain's families from the bathroom blues.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Mick F.....it'll be soaking wet with condensation under your new floor within a couple of weeks, mould, wet rot, dry rot!!
:|
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

It was the literally crumbling walls and failed lighting that led to the task, I was entirely indifferent to style or colour, although an odd bath would have looked a bit naff and impossible to find one to match rest (some retro colours can be had at a price, but not mine). A case of no longer functioning rather than appearance.
horizon

Post by horizon »

djnotts wrote:It was the literally crumbling walls and failed lighting that led to the task, I was entirely indifferent to style or colour, although an odd bath would have looked a bit naff and impossible to find one to match rest (some retro colours can be had at a price, but not mine). A case of no longer functioning rather than appearance.

Sorry dj, not getting at you personally, just at modern fashion trends. :D
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

horizon wrote:
djnotts wrote:It was the literally crumbling walls and failed lighting that led to the task, I was entirely indifferent to style or colour, although an odd bath would have looked a bit naff and impossible to find one to match rest (some retro colours can be had at a price, but not mine). A case of no longer functioning rather than appearance.

Sorry dj, not getting at you personally, just at modern fashion trends. :D

No offence taken - I very much liked your critique! My (our, when wife was alive) concern with fashion demonstrated by fact that we moved in nearly 30 years ago and fittings etc not new then and never changed! While the house will only ever be sold on a complete gutting/rebuild basis, spending a few '000 will at least make it look as if it COULD be a home and therefore easier for kids to sell it!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

philvantwo wrote:Mick F.....it'll be soaking wet with condensation under your new floor within a couple of weeks, mould, wet rot, dry rot!!
No it won't at all.
Mick F. Cornwall
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Mick F wrote:
philvantwo wrote:Mick F.....it'll be soaking wet with condensation under your new floor within a couple of weeks, mould, wet rot, dry rot!!
No it won't at all.

It will if you haven't fitted a vapour barrier. Google interstitial condensation.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche