Milk down the sink!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
rjb

Milk down the sink!

Post by rjb »

Mrs Rjb is the chairman of our local village community coffee shop. They have just been informed that as a commercial premise they are now not allowed to dispose of milk down the sink. :shock:
So they have to collect the dregs and at closing time they have to dispose of it. ie the manager takes the dregs home and puts it down there own sink or uses it. It can't amount to more than 1/2 a litre a day.
This could explain why we have noticed milk bring sprayed onto fields by huge tankers.
So next time you stop at a cafe make sure you drink all the milk. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Tangled Metal

Re: Milk down the sink!

Post by Tangled Metal »

My son had a habit of drinking milk from the little jugs supplied at cafes. Sometimes before I'd put any in my coffee. Still, milk is good for you so I wasn't that bothered. It's the only time he really drank milk.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

rjb wrote: They have just been informed that as a commercial premise they are now not allowed to dispose of milk down the sink.

Are they allowed to dispose of surplus or contaminated tea down the sink? E.g after doing the washing up, add the milk involved plus a used teabag to the washing up water, then pour the liquid away.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I banned milk down our sink years ago we are on septic tank. We used to have a dog which was the disposal unit for it.
We no longer have a dog but no longer have milk either. I turn it all into yoghurt.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Talking of milk, I was able, at last, to order milk in glass bottles from a milk delivery man.
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Paulatic wrote:I banned milk down our sink years ago we are on septic tank. We used to have a dog which was the disposal unit for it.
We no longer have a dog but no longer have milk either. I turn it all into yoghurt.
We have a septic tank.
Would doubt milk is any worse than other stuff going in there. All naturally digested.

Milk and Dog go together well, as do Scraps and Dog. :D
Rarely chuck any leftovers of anything away. The cats will eat most stuff too.
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mick F wrote:
Paulatic wrote:I banned milk down our sink years ago we are on septic tank. We used to have a dog which was the disposal unit for it.

We have a septic tank.
Would doubt milk is any worse than other stuff going in there. All naturally digested..

We all don’t have a convenient mineshaft for the overflow :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Paulatic wrote:
Mick F wrote:

We have a septic tank.
Would doubt milk is any worse than other stuff going in there. All naturally digested..

To be absolutely honest, we've been living here since 1997, and it took a year? to find out where the septic tank actually was!!! I found it by clearing shrubbery and overgrown bamboo at the front. The place had been unoccupied for two or three years before we bought it.

The covers were home made cement panels. One of them was dated 1967 and signed by the previous owner whom we knew - long since dead. I doubt - by looking at the covers then - that they've ever been lifted.

From only a guess, the tank is brick built, but how deep it is I haven't got a clue. I built a low single block high wall round it and put decking on top that is removable as a two-man lift to take off as a complete piece. We use it as a patio nowadays and there's a bench seat on it.

We have no intention of lifting the decking or attempting to lift the cement covers unless something goes drastically wrong.

Where it drains to, I haven't got a clue other than "downhill" but I doubt it's the mine shaft itself, as we've been in there a few times and looked up our shaft. No sign of sewage.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Paulatic wrote:
Mick F wrote:

We have a septic tank.

goodness knows what alien life is developing down there :lol: will come back and bite you
Alex Atkinson

Post by Alex Atkinson »

'They have to collect the dregs and at closing time they have to dispose of it. ie the manager takes the dregs home and puts it down there own sink or uses it. It can't amount to more than 1/2 a litre a day.'
I've never heared of that before. It seems really strange to me.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Alex Atkinson wrote:'They have to collect the dregs and at closing time they have to dispose of it. ie the manager takes the dregs home and puts it down there own sink or uses it. It can't amount to more than 1/2 a litre a day.'
I've never heared of that before. It seems really strange to me.

Don't cry over spilt milk read this.

https://www.dssmith.com/recycling/insig ... businesses
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D