Goodbye Old England - Jockxit. It's Time We Were Gone

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Paulatic

Re: Goodbye Old England - Jockxit. It's Time We Were Gone

Post by Paulatic »

irc wrote:
georgew wrote:The SNP, over the years, has proved to be a competent Government in Scotland.

Having a laugh? It has over centralised the police and fire services. Tried it's best to get a big brother named person scheme pushed through only to be blocked at the Supreme Court. Made Scotland the highest taxed part of the UK. Increased the cost of alcohol without saving a single life (deaths went up). Presided over the shambles of major hospital build failures. Spent £125 million on "green" ferries which may never be finished - it might be cheaper to scrap them and start again. Has chosen to build a vast excess of wind power in Scotland which can't meet powers needs when wind is low but will cost SCotland around a vast amount in subsidies if we become indepedent and get the bill rather than sharing it with the rest of the UK.

https://no2np.org/victory-supreme-court ... on-scheme/

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/12/0 ... hs-pravda/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-50861412

I could have a big laugh if you thought the last 9 years of Tory rule has been without any criticism. I think you missed out education from your list that seems to be popular at the moment.
Speaking of ferries wasn’t it 50 million we all paid to scrap a ferry contract that had no ferries? Did that money filter down into the pockets of workers on the job? I would assume that went into the bank accounts of people with already large ones.
I’m sorry to hear you are paying more tax in Scotland and don’t subscribe to helping Jock Tamson's bairns. In an independent Scotland with a representative government then I believe your views will be represented and you will certainly have a chance to change that tax band.
Just tell me again how Scotland is being listened to in London I’m finding it hard to find a link.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

Remainers predictions regarding the future of this country are as about as accurate as producing the entire works of Shakespeare from fishing in a small tin of alphabet soup.

I can only suggest that you switch to astrology instead, the law of averages would propel you into economic experts.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

M TTFN MMorning all, I think I can see a case for scrapping the "Barnett Formula", which is weighted to give beneficial funding to Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland in ascending order?
Even in England there is an unfair weighting in favour of the Home Counties, something which the Northern Powerhouse does little to address.
It ain't only the Scots that feel themselves hard done by, but in their case mistakenly!
Level Playing Field? To quote Jim Royle - "My Ar*e".
georgew

Post by georgew »

irc wrote:
georgew wrote:The SNP, over the years, has proved to be a competent Government in Scotland.

Having a laugh? It has over centralised the police and fire services. Tried it's best to get a big brother named person scheme pushed through only to be blocked at the Supreme Court. Made Scotland the highest taxed part of the UK. Increased the cost of alcohol without saving a single life (deaths went up). Presided over the shambles of major hospital build failures. Spent £125 million on "green" ferries which may never be finished - it might be cheaper to scrap them and start again. Has chosen to build a vast excess of wind power in Scotland which can't meet powers needs when wind is low but will cost SCotland around a vast amount in subsidies if we become indepedent and get the bill rather than sharing it with the rest of the UK.

https://no2np.org/victory-supreme-court ... on-scheme/

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/12/0 ... hs-pravda/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-50861412

Of course ......you're perfectly right.

It's hell living up here....and it's just fortunate that the electorate knows this and refuses to vote for these incompetents.

Oh....hang on, the same electorate has just voted the SNP back in power again.....and with 80% of the seats and now what's worse, have reduced Labour to only one MP and defeated seven of the thirteen Tory MP's.

I mean what's wrong with these people....why is it that they cannot see what's obvious to irc and his ilk?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

windmiller wrote:Remainers predictions regarding the future of this country are as about as accurate as producing the entire works of Shakespeare from fishing in a small tin of alphabet soup.

I can only suggest that you switch to astrology instead, the law of averages would propel you into economic experts.

Predictions are just that.
Sometimes they're right sometimes they're wrong and the truth is usually somewhere in between.

The usual rider of course applies (we haven't left yet) - even Al-your-pal conceded in the brexit thread that things would be a bit crap for a while and I believe he's a big leave fan.

In the interests of impartiality you have to take the predictions made by the leavers into account. There's certainly no sign of a golden age as yet.
Overall I wonder who's predictions are the most correct? Because surely rather than cherry picking incorrect predictions it's the overall balance that's important?

In other news I see we've flogged Cobham (a large defence company) to the Yanks.
Shape of things to come???
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

Cobham, world leaders in air to air refuelling technology and design. The best in the business, sold for a song to a greedy yank conglomerate. Sounds familiar? It will soon, they gonna come down and.scoop up everything. Enjoy your free health care and cheap medicines while you can..
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

So far predictions pretty accurate.

Flogging things off, curtailing freedoms, excluding workers rights from any deal, attacking refugee children. Removing parliamentary scrutiny. Took about a week.
John
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

Oldjohnw wrote:So far predictions pretty accurate.

Flogging things off, curtailing freedoms, excluding workers rights from any deal, attacking refugee children. Removing parliamentary scrutiny. Took about a week.

Is just the beginning isn't it? I reckon it will take about another six months before the words 'health insurance' become about as ubiquitous as 'Get Brexit Done'. You don't have to shut the NHS down to sell a universal health insurance policy to the electorate. I mean the idiots have only gone and voted for 5 years of Boris the Oligarch. Serve em right.i mean who needs free health care anyway? That's just for poor people isn't it?

Normalised within a year, it you can't afford the projected £9000 a year for 'okay' cover then what? Your sorry Brexiting ass dying a slow, painful death on a trolley in a side corridor while the well resourced doctors attend to their fee paying clients instead. Happens in America every day of the week, I've seen it with my own eyes. No one blinks when a poor Sod dies through lack of health insurance. 'It's your own fault', they say. Should have seen it coming.

I'm guessing the average age of the Brexit supporters in this forum is around 60+? Just the right age when everything starts gong wrong very quickly with the body. Sure hope y'all got adequate health cover, because £9000 is just for everyday stuff. Got cancer, heart disease, Parkinsons, had a stroke?

Good luck with getting any health insurance. And they say turkeys don't vote for Xmas....
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

windmiller wrote:Remainers predictions regarding the future of this country are as about as accurate as producing the entire works of Shakespeare from fishing in a small tin of alphabet soup.

Of course you supporters of brexit know there's going to be a Golden Age the like of which we've not seen for decades: and you suggest Remainers switch to astrology !!!

John.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Whereas the supporter of brexit predictions of Unicorns grazing in verdant fields is accurate.

No-one knows, and all that can be done is to make informed estimates from the advice of experts.

The biggest irony is that the rabid Pro-Brexiteer, Tim Martin's pubs have been hit by a "pigs in blankets" shortage.... allegedly because of a shortage of EU Migrant workers to process and package them. He has dismissed food shortages due to Brexit - only to be hit by one!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Polisman wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:So far predictions pretty accurate.

Is just the beginning isn't it? I reckon it will take about another six months before the words 'health insurance' become about as ubiquitous as 'Get Brexit Done'. You don't have to shut the NHS down to sell a universal health insurance policy to the electorate. I mean the idiots have only gone and voted for 5 years of Boris the Oligarch. Serve em right.i mean who needs free health care anyway? That's just for poor people isn't it?

Normalised within a year, it you can't afford the projected £9000 a year for 'okay' cover then what? Your sorry Brexiting ass dying a slow, painful death on a trolley in a side corridor while the well resourced doctors attend to their fee paying clients instead. Happens in America every day of the week, I've seen it with my own eyes. No one blinks when a poor Sod dies through lack of health insurance. 'It's your own fault', they say. Should have seen it coming.

I'm guessing the average age of the Brexit supporters in this forum is around 60+? Just the right age when everything starts gong wrong very quickly with the body. Sure hope y'all got adequate health cover, because £9000 is just for everyday stuff. Got cancer, heart disease, Parkinsons, had a stroke?

Good luck with getting any health insurance. And they say turkeys don't vote for Xmas....

Recent trials in the States have shown that for Breast Cancer Patients, the death rate is significantly higher for those on insurance, the biggest single factor appears to be not finishing treatment because the insurance runs out!

Turkeys not only voting for Christmas, but also offering to slit their own throats!
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

Hobbs1951 wrote:

Of course you supporters of brexit know there's going to be a Golden Age the like of which we've not seen for decades: and you suggest Remainers switch to astrology !!!

John.

I don't envy Boris attempting to polish that particular golden turd. Anyone who believes the next few years are going to be a stroll into sunlit uplands has seriously got a psychiatric condition that only strong medicine can aid.
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

All I see is a fear of democracy here, some have it so bad that they talk a lot about leaving the country even. Some have even left already. They enjoy competing with each other while giving impersonations of Private Fraser and his doomage routine.

Seriously though I wish anyone who wants to leave this country for none political reasons the best of luck.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Polisman wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Polisman wrote:
It shows they won 80% of the seats,and that the TORIES in Scotland lost 56% of theirs.

That's quite an assumption, to conflate a general election result with a national referendum. A leap of wishful thinking perhaps. I take it you realise there's a really big difference between a general election and a national referendum on quitting a larger bloc? Brexit = Jockxit, more or less.

You may have heard of a really big one recently, to quit the EU? It's all over the news. In which there was very little correlation between the two.

Yes they may well have won 80% of the seats but got 45% of the total vote.

It's you who was saying the general election vote shows a majority for independence by saying "a vote for the SNP is by extension a vote for independence. " . Using your logic that translates as a 45% vote for independence. I'm sure you can subtract 45 from 100 and see that's not enough to win.

As I was trying to explain to you a general election vote and a referendum vote are two entirely different things - you need to look at share of national vote to compare the two.

It's hard to believe you don't read your own words. It's you who is conflating a share of the vote in a general election with an as yet unannounced 2nd independence referendum. . The vote for independence was 44.7% almost identical to the 45% the SNP got on the 12th December.

What on earth does one have to do with the other? That's a ridiculous statement. If that was the case, then the recent election when the Tories only got 43% of the vote, now you're saying that their mandate for Brexit has failed? Was the referendum on brexit not 52%/48%? It wasn't 43% was it?

I am incredulous at your stupidity.

The two are evidently not the same. Do you know the phrase 'hoist, own petard'? You just made the very definition of it. Hilariously funny.

There certainly is stupidity but not on my part. It was you who started a discussion saying that a vote for independence in Scotland was a sure thing based on the election result stating "a vote for the SNP is a vote for independence".You seemed to be confusing the percentage of seats won by the SNP with the level of support they had nationally.
The only stop Brexit parties standing in the GE were the SNP, the Liberals and a few minor parties. Well under 20% of the vote for the whole lot.

BTW I'm not against Scottish independence - I think it would be the best thing for the Scots. I just don't think the GE results in Scotland indicate the clear majority for it you think they do.
Last edited by pete75 on 22 Dec 2019, 4:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

windmiller wrote:... they talk a lot about leaving the country even.

All talk no action me thinks.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)