Is anyone moving?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Is anyone moving?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Welcome on board, you are not the only 'ex-patriot' on here
What about the language over there? And the weather?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

PH wrote:
Hobbs1951 wrote:We're halfway out the door !

John.

Somewhere nice?

We think so, a small town in the Charente Maritime in France.

John.
AgentWayward

Post by AgentWayward »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Welcome on board, you are not the only 'ex-patriot' on here

Thanks!
The language is tricky but we're slowly learning.
Weather is fantastic, long summers, short dry winters.
Where abouts are you then?
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

AgentWayward wrote:

Thanks!

Im off to Northern Italy in the spring. We can shake hands across the frontier! Arrivederci
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

AgentWayward wrote:

Thanks!

Germany of course (Scottish Zone)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Polisman wrote:I've been considering moving to Italy for the past few years, and this week, this election and the way its been conducted has helped make my mind up.

I have family near Nice, and have always had a soft spot for the Italian Lakes just over the border so that's where we are heading. Fabulous cycling country, perfect climate April till end November and some great local clubs who are really passionate about the sport. We lived there for 4 weeks this summer, house hunting. We've both been learning Italian for over a year now, it's not that difficult. The food and the wine are incredible and about 50% cheaper than Manchester, and the general standard of living is very, very good. Health care is first class. Do I love Europe, yes I do.
@@@

One nation under the boot. Arrivederci. E Buona fortuna!

Have had a quick trawl through this thread.

I can see no evidence that you know much about Italy at all.

Beyond cycling, sun, food - you come across as someone who has watched too many light Brit tv progs aimed at the nattering/chomping/guzzling classes.

The Good news (I know Italy quite well) - the wine is significantly cheaper than you indicate with regard to Manchester.

The bad news - I'll leave you to discover that/educate yourself, but you might do well to read some Italian history, read the papers, watch the TV, listen to folk.

A useful exercise might be to bullet point what you don't like about the UK (so much that you intend to leave it) then compare and contrast with Italy.
Sweep
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

Sweep wrote:Have had a quick trawl through this thread.
I can see no evidence that you know much about Italy at all.
Beyond cycling, sun, food - you come across as someone who has watched too many light Brit tv progs aimed at the nattering/chomping/guzzling classes.
The Good news (I know Italy quite well) - the wine is significantly cheaper than you indicate with regard to Manchester.
The bad news - I'll leave you to discover that/educate yourself, but you might do well to read some Italian history, read the papers, watch the TV, listen to folk.
A useful exercise might be to bullet point what you don't like about the UK (so much that you intend to leave it) then compare and contrast with Italy.

I find most of what you say condescending. It's the kind of mindset I'd expect from someone who has never lived abroad, or had the balls to even try.

I've lived abroad for three distinct periods in my life. All work related. Firstly in the US for a time, then a few years in South Africa and latterly two years in Sicily. So I reckon I'm more familiar with Italian culture, cuisine and politics than you are. My Italian is not fantastic, but its currently at C1 level, conversational. I intend to be B1 within a year of living there, which is regarded as medium fluency. I'm not a wet behind the ears emigrant. I know exactly where I'm going, what kind of property I'll be buying, the legal system, and what I'll be doing when I get there.

As for the mafia, I guess it's a lot like drug gangs in the UK (which are based on a similar modus operandi), unless you are directly connected to them there's little chance you will ever come across any 'activity' in your lifetime. I'm not 'fleeing' I'm taking the opportunity to improve my lifestyle for both me and my family. It's my choice that has absolutely nothing to do with you and I'd prefer if you responded with a little respect for someone 'taking a chance' in another country.

As someone who has travelled a deal and worked abroad the best part of twenty years, I can tell you it's a very difficult thing to up sticks and move lock stock to another country, but I have never regretted a day of it. Staying put is easy, putting up is easy, getting worn down is easy. Having the balls to change your circumstances (for the better) always takes a lot of courage. End of.
Last edited by Graham on 29 Dec 2019, 9:57am, edited 1 time in total.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Morning, What is so wrong with "Tax Avoidance"? "Tax Evasion" yes, wrong, criminal. But "Avoidance" is both legal & prudent.
By all means donate whatever excess money you may feel you want, but that is choice, but don't take it out on lawful compliant folk. TTFN MM

What's wrong is that most forms of tax avoidance are only open to the rich, so a tax system allowing them is usually regressive.

Quite.
If you've got a business and enough capital in it you can still get tax relief on a mortgage. Thursday you take £300,000 out of the business to pay for the house in full, Friday you pay the mortgage co cheque into the business. Technically it's then a business loan and you'll get tax relief on the interest at your highest rate of tax which may well be 45%.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Right again Polisman
Living abroad for a whole year at least (weather!), using a strange language at work, registering with the authorities, is quite different from holidaying even if one goes every year and time abroad adds up to a few months (all in summer?)
mjr

Post by mjr »

The way some of you go on, I wonder how you'd ever live somewhere else, so I must ask: do you still live in your first village/town? Birth county?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

mjr wrote:The way some of you go on, I wonder how you'd ever live somewhere else, so I must ask: do you still live in your first village/town? Birth county?

No, No, and not even the same country :D

Unlike a lovely lady I met while out walking in lower Swaledale a few weeks ago. In her seventies and living in the same off the road farmhouse she was born in. Very happy and never travelled out of Yorkshire. Never even made it to Shap but she’d heard of places as her brother had drove trucks for a living and had even been to Scotland. :D
I’m so glad to have stopped and chatted with her and thankful that Barry Cockcroft is no longer alive.
( sorry young people you might have to Google that reference)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Yorkshire, +1!
mjr wrote:The way some of you go on, I wonder how you'd ever live somewhere else, so I must ask: do you still live in your first village/town? Birth county?

No, no, no! :wink:
pwa

Post by pwa »

I believe moving your home is something best done before the kids start school. Once they have begun school and started to build up a social network, it is detrimental to their happiness to uproot them. It is also problematic separating kids from their extended family. I believe in community, and that isn't something you can drop in one place and resume in another.

Speaking for myself, I have moved a significant distance once, from NW England to S Wales, and I don't intend moving again. This is my home and my community, in which I have a lot invested.

I am proud to be able to say my kids, now in their early twenties, have parents who did not divorce, they have lived in the same house in the same street and they went to the same two schools. They have friends they have know since playgroup. They know most of the neighbours to talk to. They have had a stable early life with no upheaval. They know who they are and where they come from.
softlips

Post by softlips »

I’ve never lived more than 30 miles from where I grew up but looking at the vast majority of people I grew up with I’ve moved much further away than most. Lots of people up here (Yorkshire) have never been further away than 100 miles from home in their lives. Most have never worked anywhere apart from their hometown. I remember saying to one friend whose daughter had got a teaching post around 14 miles away that it was nice to have the role she wanted so local. My friend said “local? It’s miles away, it will take nearly half an hour to get their!”

We’re moving to Sussex around May next year, really looking forward to it.
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

pwa wrote:They know most of the neighbours to talk to. They have had a stable early life with no upheaval. They know who they are and where they come from.

And that is precisely the point of this thread. We live in an international country, with supposed international ambitions, but some of us never venture out of the county even, some not even the town. And now the right to work and live freely in Europe is going to be denied to every single child in Britain, forever.

My kids have grown up travelling the world, and are all the more rounded and adventurous for it. They both speak several languages fluently and currently have a level of Italian which embarrasses me no end (and I've been learning /speaking it for the past five years). They know all about French and Italian cuisine, good wine, how to cook, have explored the South African Bush, and would think nothing of taking a cheap flight to Europe off their own bat.

They have absolutely no fear of change, and can and are able to adapt to almost any situation. A skill that will be an advantage to them all their lives. I get how some people like an insular life, the same shops, the same faces, the same pubs, the same routines and the same jobs all their lives. But not everyone thinks that way. In fact outside of provincial areas I doubt many modern young people think that way.
The language school I attend in Manchester, I'm the oldest person there by about 20 years, it's chock full of young folk wanting to learn a language, get their education and explore the big wide world out there. They are to be applauded for it.

As are stay at homers, but soon, very soon no one will have the option and free, visa less movement in Europe will be at an end. That's a sad state of affairs, for young people especially, IMO.
Last edited by Graham on 29 Dec 2019, 10:02am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Another garbled quotation corrected