Is anyone moving?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: Is anyone moving?

Post by Oldjohnw »

Fly all over the place for long weekends. And several long haul flights a year.

Climate be damned.
John
softlips

Post by softlips »

Polisman wrote:
pwa wrote:They know most of the neighbours to talk to. They have had a stable early life with no upheaval. They know who they are and where they come from.

And that is precisely the point of this thread. We live in an international country, with supposed international ambitions, but some of us never venture out of the county even, some not even the town. And now the right to work and live freely in Europe is going to be denied to every single child in Britain, forever.

My kids have grown up travelling the world, and are all the more rounded and adventurous for it. They both speak several languages fluently and currently have a level of Italian which embarrasses me no end (and I've been learning /speaking it for the past five years). They know all about French and Italian cuisine, good wine, how to cook, have explored the South African Bush, and would think nothing of taking a cheap flight to Europe off their own bat.

They have absolutely no fear of change, and can and are able to adapt to almost any situation. A skill that will be an advantage to them all their lives. I get how some people like an insular life, the same shops, the same faces, the same pubs, the same routines and the same jobs all their lives. But not everyone thinks that way. In fact outside of provincial areas I doubt many modern young people think that way.
The language school I attend in Manchester, I'm the oldest person there by about 20 years, it's chock full of young folk wanting to learn a language, get their education and explore the big wide world out there. They are to be applauded for it.

As are stay at homers, but soon, very soon no one will have the option and free, visa less movement in Europe will be at an end. That's a sad state of affairs, for young people especially, IMO.

We had no problem travelling before we joined the EU. I’ve worked in around 35 countries and never had an issue, that said Ireland are now saying as I work there regularly I should start paying tax etc there!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

softlips wrote:I’ve never lived more than 30 miles from where I grew up but looking at the vast majority of people I grew up with I’ve moved much further away than most. Lots of people up here (Yorkshire) have never been further away than 100 miles from home in their lives. Most have never worked anywhere apart from their hometown. I remember saying to one friend whose daughter had got a teaching post around 14 miles away that it was nice to have the role she wanted so local. My friend said “local? It’s miles away, it will take nearly half an hour to get their!”

We’re moving to Sussex around May next year, really looking forward to it.

Really, many people never been to London? Or flown to Spain?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
softlips wrote:I’ve never lived more than 30 miles from where I grew up but looking at the vast majority of people I grew up with I’ve moved much further away than most. Lots of people up here (Yorkshire) have never been further away than 100 miles from home in their lives. Most have never worked anywhere apart from their hometown. I remember saying to one friend whose daughter had got a teaching post around 14 miles away that it was nice to have the role she wanted so local. My friend said “local? It’s miles away, it will take nearly half an hour to get their!”

Lots of folks up here not been to London. I've never flown to Spain.
John
pwa

Post by pwa »

If I were a Far Right sort of person and was looking for somewhere in the world where I could readily meet up with like minded people, I'd be looking at parts of southern France or northern Italy.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have moved house something like 20 times in my life (I'm 52), once from one US state to another, and twice from one country to another. I lived the longest in Milwaukee Wisconsin, and northern Essex, England. I liked both of them, and miss some things about each. The worst of it is that I hate moving. It's a horrible, stressful thing to do, and if I never move house again, it's too soon.

But that said, my family is diverse, and spread across the world. Wandering seems to be in my genes.

So I will probably move again, sometime. No plans or ideas, and I love where I live, now, for all sorts of reasons. Right now, it would take something major, like a job loss to get me to move. Even then, I'd look for all sorts for things to keep me here before I'd move.

But if we were still in the UK, I might well consider a move elsewhere. Not for my own sake, but for my children. In Norway, they have the kind of freedom and independence that I had growing up. Mini V who is now 13, can go just about anywhere she wants to with a bus pass or a bike. And I don't feel that she could have that in either the USA or the UK.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Oldjohnw wrote:]

I’ve memories of being in London I must have been very young but remember playing on the escalators with my Grandad. While the grown ups did grown up stuff.
I’ve no wish whatsoever to go to London as an adult. Why would I when Edinburgh or Glasgow is a lot closer? :wink:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Paulatic wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:]

I’ve memories of being in London I must have been very young but remember playing on the escalators with my Grandad. While the grown ups did grown up stuff.
I’ve no wish whatsoever to go to London as an adult. Why would I when Edinburgh or Glasgow is a lot closer? :wink:

I worked 2-3 days every two weeks in London. Last year was the first in about 30 years I didn't visit London. As you say, when Edinburgh (or Newcastle) is closer....
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Dunno what the statistics are but it could well be that many/most people do not move or travel far
One just reads more about those who gad about. (Reminds me of b****t, one can hardly imagine how people could have a different view or experience :?)

I have moved a few times, not quite as much as Vorpal, seems normal to me

'What does she know of Englandshire, who only Englandshire knows?'
Actually the miners institutes spring to mind, in the time before mass travel there were miners who were very learned, knew maybe about Greek philosophy although they had never been farther than Caerdydd
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

I see no great merit or demerit in either travelling extensively or never travelling much distance from home. Those who've done the former often look down on the latter though. Maybe it's because they're insecure.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:

Ah, but it's different only to travel and visit somewhere rather than moving there, so we are told above. You can't know somewhere enough to want to move before you live there, according to some, so surrendering our freedom and our descendents' freedom to move to most of Europe was minor. Do advocates of such views think everyone who moves is either foolish or basically forced to move by circumstances, economic or otherwise?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Dunno what the statistics are but it could well be that many/most people do not move or travel far
One just reads more about those who gad about. (Reminds me of b****t, one can hardly imagine how people could have a different view or experience :?)

I have moved a few times, not quite as much as Vorpal, seems normal to me

'What does she know of Englandshire, who only Englandshire knows?'
Actually the miners institutes spring to mind, in the time before mass travel there were miners who were very learned, knew maybe about Greek philosophy although they had never been farther than Caerdydd

Travel (or moving location or even emigration) may or may not broaden the mind. Emigrating as someone with a job and children who attend local schools may mean involvement and learning yourself; emigrating to a retirement community where everyone around you speaks your, but not the local, language may mean something else.

And there's loads of comparable situations, a few years ago a TV programme here looked at the phenomenon of 'half a mile or half a world' where immigrants move to a location populated by others from their community and rarely stray from it, except when they fly all the way back to their native country. As in everything else l guess education (either formal or informal) is the defining factor.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

mjr wrote:The way some of you go on, I wonder how you'd ever live somewhere else, so I must ask: do you still live in your first village/town? Birth county?

Birth County yes.
I was born raised in a mining village in Rotherham,South Yorkshire. moved to Sheffield in 1990 aged 22 and although moving around in the City until we bought our house in 2001 I've lived here since.
It occurred to me at around 18 years old that I had little in common with the people I grew up with so I moved to Rotherham Town centre in 1984.Best thing I ever did!
Now 30+ years on and seeing the racist,homophobic cr@p some of my old school friends post on Social Media know did the right thing.I went to a school reunion a few years ago any many of my school friends still live in the village,married others from the village and seem to be stuck in a 1970s mentality :| One friend even told me "I should come back to my own kind"...very strange!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Brits abroad have a tendency to be expats rather than immigrants. They send their children to the British School and live in the expat community. They go to the Anglcan Cathedral and the Country Club where locals wait on the.

Hyperbole? Possibly. But most will know what I mean.
John
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Oldjohnw wrote:Brits abroad have a tendency to be expats rather than immigrants. They send their children to the British School and live in the expat community. They go to the Anglcan Cathedral and the Country Club where locals wait on the.

Hyperbole? Possibly. But most will know what I mean.

I know what you mean, but the first thing I did in"my"French town was meet some cyclists - not one Brit amongst them !

I actually met them while out cycling on my own one sunny afternoon, and they asked me to join them at their cafe stop (never happened in the UK).

John.