Is anyone moving?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Is anyone moving?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
PDQ Mobile wrote:Ok accepted.
£10 to charity of one's choice.

"Johnson no longer PM on 31:12: 2021".

Problem is you may not still be posting then :)

Your constant betting might fill gaps in amusement factor in political posts but that why you post when its sliding into the pit :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
PDQ Mobile wrote:Ok accepted.
£10 to charity of one's choice.

"Johnson no longer PM on 31:12: 2021".

Problem is you may not still be posting then :)

Your constant betting might fill gaps in amusement factor in political posts but that why you post when its sliding into the pit :)

Hmm. Merely confirming to Ben.( it is in my calendar along with the much older wager)

I reckon Ben thinks I am, at least, pretty honest or he wouldn't enter into it.
We profoundly disagree on a number of issues.
But he's not a skew thinking nut.

He's a bit too "straight laced" in many ways for my taste but hey it takes all sorts.

It is in many ways a just a lighthearted flutter. Nothing more.
And charity benefits either way - though I was tempted to up the anti!! Poverty intervened.
No matter.

I think Johnson will come unstuck.
There are a number of reasons I came to this conclusion.
Foremost amongst them is the he is not truthful and extremely self serving.
Others I already gave.
I do realise that is historically not a reason :shock: , however I feel he will eventually make a mistake so grave that it will end his term of office.

As Ben said a week is a long time in politics.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Skew thinking nut :?

Happy new year to all :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

landsurfer wrote:My wifes brother retired from the MOD at 55.
He and his wife sold their house in Swindon and moved to Cyprus.
The good life, 5 course kebabs and gallons of cheap wine ....

At 68, at the first sign of expensive medical requirements, they sold up and moved to Pontefract to get access to the NHS ....

Why was that? I don't know Cyprus's health service, but often the difficulties include that health arrangements are reciprocal so unless you move young enough to work and pay into healthcare, you don't get access to much for free. How do you think people would react to a Cypriot who retired to the UK and went on a fast food and alcohol diet getting expensive medical care for free?

Another difficulty can be the UK hiring away doctors from other countries, but I don't know if that hurts Cyprus much.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

mjr wrote:Another difficulty can be the UK hiring away doctors from other countries ....

In a sort of balance a lot of our own grown Medics give-up on our NHS (‘cause it doesn’t treat them that well) and find new employment overseas.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
I think Johnson will come unstuck.
There are a number of reasons I came to this conclusion.
Foremost amongst them is the he is not truthful and extremely self serving.
Others I already gave.
I do realise that is historically not a reason :shock: , however I feel he will eventually make a mistake so grave that it will end his term of office.

Johnson has come unstuck many times & it has never harmed his political career. Being self-serving and lying seems to benefit politicians. Being honest and forthright seldom does.

The only thing that I can imagine ousting Johnson at this point is if he utterly fails to deal with some sort of major crisis.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Vorpal wrote:Johnson has come unstuck many times & it has never harmed his political career. Being self-serving and lying seems to benefit politicians. Being honest and forthright seldom does.

The only thing that I can imagine ousting Johnson at this point is if he utterly fails to deal with some sort of major crisis.

Roll on major crisis then! :wink:

(Or scandal!! :shock: What you get away with on the back benches is different to being PM-setting an example to the Nation and all that))

godt nytt år
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Vorpal wrote:The only thing that I can imagine ousting Johnson at this point is if he utterly fails to deal with some sort of major crisis.

Like Gove failing to keep a lid on his ambition. With friends like that, anything could happen.

With Labour so weak, now would be a perfect time for Gove to orchestrate Johnson's downfall, putting himself in line for the top job.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Johnson has come unstuck many times & it has never harmed his political career. Being self-serving and lying seems to benefit politicians. Being honest and forthright seldom does.

(Or scandal!! :shock: What you get away with on the back benches is different to being PM-setting an example to the Nation and all that))

godt nytt år

Scandal? If allegations of domestic abuse and corruption haven't done it, I don't know what sort of scandal will actually cause him to be ousted. Scandal also requires opposition leadership that are capable of making it a big deal. Otherwise, a little scandal seems to help him rather than harm him.

(Takk og i like måte :) )
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PH

Post by PH »

Carlton green wrote:In a sort of balance a lot of our own grown Medics give-up on our NHS (‘cause it doesn’t treat them that well) and find new employment overseas.

Or in the private sector that wouldn’t be so profitable if it didn’t leach off the NHS.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

PH wrote:
Carlton green wrote:In a sort of balance a lot of our own grown Medics give-up on our NHS (‘cause it doesn’t treat them that well) and find new employment overseas.

Or in the private sector that wouldn’t be so profitable if it didn’t leach off the NHS.

If you have some then I’d quite like to see the data for such an assertion. I’m not a medic (nowhere near clever enough) but do know other folk who overlap with medics. It’s all anecdotal but none of the Doctors that I’ve heard of have leached from the NHS to U.K. private medicine but many have simply gone to work abroad (‘cause the pay’s good, the lifestyle is better and they don’t get shafted by managers). I find it sad that we treat our own home grown talent so badly that they consider or actually do move away for a reasonable life.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

If NHS medics have not gone to the private sector, where have the private sector medics come from?

Any medics who have gone to Australia, like a couple of my GPs, may be regretting such a move.
John
PH

Post by PH »

Carlton green wrote:If you have some then I’d quite like to see the data for such an assertion.

There's this thing called Google (Other search engines are available) if you type in something like "NHS staff working in the private sector" it'll create about 9,500,000 hits in around 0.40 seconds. Of which, from a quick glance, about a third will answer your question.
But as Oldjohnw asked, where did you think the staff came from?
Don't get me wrong, I have no dispute with any individual who finds their skills and talents are better rewarded by a private sector employer. I do have an issue with the private sector taking advantage of the training the NHS, the taxpayer, has forked out for - £70,000 to train a nurse from scratch, £479,000 for a general practitioner, and £725,000 to train a hospital consultant (2015 figures)
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

Vorpal wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:

godt nytt år

Scandal? If allegations of domestic abuse and corruption haven't done it, I don't know what sort of scandal will actually cause him to be ousted. Scandal also requires opposition leadership that are capable of making it a big deal. Otherwise, a little scandal seems to help him rather than harm him.

(Takk og i like måte :) )

May I suggest some more shaking of the Witch doctor's rattle if it makes you feel better about the next 5 years of surviving under the Tory fiefdom.
PH

Post by PH »

PH wrote:
Carlton green wrote:If you have some then I’d quite like to see the data for such an assertion.

There's this thing called Google (Other search engines are available) if you type in something like "NHS staff working in the private sector" it'll create about 9,500,000 hits in around 0.40 seconds. Of which, from a quick glance, about a third will answer your question.
But as Oldjohnw asked, where did you think the staff came from?
Don't get me wrong, I have no dispute with any individual who finds their skills and talents are better rewarded by a private sector employer. I do have an issue with the private sector taking advantage of the training the NHS, the taxpayer, has forked out for - £70,000 to train a nurse from scratch, £479,000 for a general practitioner, and £725,000 to train a hospital consultant (2015 figures)

Did you go and look? I thought of your post when I read this
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -nhs-staff