The next Labour Leader

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PH

Re: The next Labour Leader

Post by PH »

Tangled Metal wrote:Worse happened earlier, Blair backed him iirc.

I'd be very surprised if that were true, they had a clash of opinion immediately after the election over the manifesto.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I posted further up thread that Blair and Brown endorsed and supported a person who was running for deputy.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

It would be more of a negative to him if true though.

Corbyn supporting long bailey isn't stopping her from being a close second. Although I suppose he hasn't publicly supported her but she's cut politically from the same cloth that I reckon he would prefer her to take over just perhaps too clever to damage her chances by going public.

Must admit that I'm no longer paying much attention to what is happening with this contest. I have lost interest. It's taken too long already.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I've mentioned several times that it's taking far far far too long.
If you kicked Corby in touch and pulled a name from the hat labour might start to recover.
But no keep to the well trusted routine And keep freefalling.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
If you kicked Corby in touch and pulled a name from the hat labour might start to recover.
But no keep to the well trusted routine And keep freefalling.

I agree. I was away from just before General Election till recently and was quite surprised to get back to UK and find Corbyn still leader.

That said, even if they are declining support at the moment, it can only be amongst those who are prepared to support Labour so a better new leader (i.e. not Corbyn continuity candidate) will quickly get those voters back. And as Johnson fails to deliver on his lies, so those Labour areas that fell for the Great Deceiver will realise their mistake and return to a better Labour leader. Now Johnson has his grubby hands on power I can't think of many things to bring about an early General Election.

Ian
PH

Post by PH »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

That's how long it takes with democratic parties, not just Labour, the Libdem process takes even longer, unlike the Tory appointment system with a bit of a rubber stamp from the small membership.
If there'd been a well established deputy in place, there would have been a case for Corbyn to step aside and them to step in as caretaker, but with Tom Watson not standing, there wasn't really anyone suitable who wasn't already standing for the role.
I'm more concerned that the party gets it right, though in the current climate I don't even know what that is. We're surrounded by populist politics and the Labour Party is unlikely to be good at that game, whoever the leader.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Clearly I don't know exactly what Trevor Philips, one time chair of the Race Equality Commission, actually wrote to upset Labour but it's looking awfully like the thought police have found their way into the party.
John
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

Given the current list of canditates does it really matter anymore. They are as lacking in personality, pragmatism, patriotism and common sense as comrade Corbyn ever was.

The positive side being it keeps the feckless idiots out of power for a long time.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

windmiller wrote:Given the current list of canditates does it really matter anymore. They are as lacking in personality, pragmatism, patriotism and common sense as comrade Corbyn ever was.

The positive side being it keeps the feckless idiots out of power for a long time.

I don't quite see it that way. We all suffer when we have an ineffective opposition. It was the case during at least some of the Blair years when the Tories were hopelessly divided.

I must say, if I were Tory, I'd be careful about calling anyone feckless!
John
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
So we have finally come to agreement that a weak leader of a main party Is no good for politics.
Politics on all sides to me just looks like a race to grab the baton, But unfortunately they don't want to carry it and preserve it just use it until someone else grabs it.
PH

Post by PH »

Oldjohnw wrote:Clearly I don't know exactly what Trevor Philips, one time chair of the Race Equality Commission, actually wrote to upset Labour but it's looking awfully like the thought police have found their way into the party.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Trevor Philips is the thought police.