The next Labour Leader

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pwa

The next Labour Leader

Post by pwa »

Hopefully on a more positive note, the search for a new leader for the party is commencing. Most people would say that in a healthy democracy we need a strong and vibrant Opposition with good support, if only to remind the Government of the day that there is an alternative if they don't produce the goods. Who is the right person to take on this role?

Speaking for myself, I'd like a moderate person who can win the support of people who sometimes vote Tory. I'd like someone who can stand up for themselves in an argument, and someone who comes across effectively in the media. I don't have a clear favourite yet but I see a few younger female possibles who might do a good job. They look like they could give Boris a difficult time at PMQs.

Any thoughts, or is it too early?
bovlomov

Re: The next Labour Leader

Post by bovlomov »

Johnson seems uncomfortable with strong women. Having a confident woman opposite at the dispatch box, he won't be able to fall back on his usual blokey 'charm'.

I hope the next Labour leader is a strong woman. In that sense, Jess Philips is the best candidate, though I'm not sure how she measures up in other regards.
pwa

Post by pwa »

bovlomov wrote:Johnson seems uncomfortable with strong women. Having a confident woman opposite at the dispatch box, he won't be able to fall back on his usual blokey 'charm'.

I hope the next Labour leader is a strong woman. In that sense, Jess Philips is the best candidate, though I'm not sure how she measures up in other regards.

My feelings exactly. She could make him look rubbish.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

But...it isnt just about performance at the despatch box, its about setting realistic affordable policies, building a good team and leadership. And, its about inspiring and convincing the voting public too. And exposing Government faultlines. Many of the things Corbyn and MacDonald failed at. Many of the candidates being feted seem to look too left wing to ever get elected to Government.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pwa

Post by pwa »

al_yrpal wrote:But...it isnt just about performance at the despatch box, its about setting realistic affordable policies, building a good team and leadership. And, its about inspiring and convincing the voting public too. And exposing Government faultlines. Many of the things Corbyn and MacDonald failed at. Many of the candidates being feted seem to look too left wing to ever get elected to Government.

Al

I think JP may be more to your liking on those counts.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Just read about Ms Philips on wykepedia

She has a combative style and uses language that our moderators would not tolerate
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Tao

Post by Tao »

:cry:
Last edited by Tao on 26 Dec 2020, 10:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Tao wrote:Diane Abbott

You are a Tory arent you? :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
PH

Post by PH »

Before it can pick a suitable leader, the Labour Party needs to decide what sort of party it is. Whatever anyone’s opinion of Corbyn, he was twice elected by the membership and shouldn’t have had to spend so much time fighting those supposedly on the same side. I see Boris made all candidates sign a loyalty pledge, Labour has never been so dictatorial, imagine the outcry in the press of it was.
Labour is in a mess, right at the point where we need an opposition scrutinising. I can’t see how it moves on without either accepting it’s not going to govern, or throwing away those things most of the current membership supports.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

PH wrote:Before it can pick a suitable leader, the Labour Party needs to decide what sort of party it is. Whatever anyone’s opinion of Corbyn, he was twice elected by the membership and shouldn’t have had to spend so much time fighting those supposedly on the same side. I see Boris made all candidates sign a loyalty pledge, Labour has never been so dictatorial, imagine the outcry in the press of it was.
Labour is in a mess, right at the point where we need an opposition scrutinising. I can’t see how it moves on without either accepting it’s not going to govern, or throwing away those things most of the current membership supports.

Perhaps it is for the British to decide if they want an opposition party at all. Judging by many comments on social media, it's great to have no opposition. It's funny that the Labour Party is dead, and anyone who doesn't like the government should move abroad.

And the attitude of much of the conventional media over the past few years hasn't been much better - ridiculing and/or misrepresenting any proposal for change.

Perhaps we need a lesson in how one party states fare, and the knowledge can only be gained by living through it.

For the record, I remember, after the Tories' third victory in a row, Tory activists hanging out of the windows at HQ, with signs reading '1000 year Tory Reich'. Within ten years I was reading that demographic changes would mean the Tories would never be in power again. That view persisted until talk of boundary changes reversed that, and Labour was never going to gain power again. Nobody knows anything.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I doesn't matter who for now, but fast as Jeremy will hold on till you decide :roll:

As said what do people want labour to be, what path to follow that will inspire followers from all walks of life.

And we hope a better democracy for all.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

The press in this country are a complete disgrace, it’s not journalism. You get but the Tory party propaganda. journalism should be about holding the government to account, not smearing the opposition leader because he likes allotments or because he doesn’t watch the queens speech, about the only paper worth reading is private eye.

As for the Labour leader my own money is on Emily Thornberry, all ready being smeared by ex MP Caroline Flint, To me Labour principles such as renationalising the railways , looking after people and having strong environmental policies are important.
NUKe

Post by pwa »

al_yrpal wrote:
Tao wrote:Diane Abbott

You are a Tory arent you? :lol:

Al

Dianne Abbot has been unwell at times recently so I doubt she would take it on. But she would definitely be Boris's choice. I also think we need someone not strongly associated with London.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

NUKe wrote:The press in this country are a complete disgrace, it’s not journalism. You get but the Tory party propaganda. journalism should be about holding the government to account, not smearing the opposition leader because he likes allotments or because he doesn’t watch the queens speech, about the only paper worth reading is private eye.

As for the Labour leader my own money is on Emily Thornberry, all ready being smeared by ex MP Caroline Flint, To me Labour principles such as renationalising the railways , looking after people and having strong environmental policies are important.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... de-britain

Al
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

I fear for Labour and reckon they'll have two leaders between now and the 2024 GE. if the second one is Andy Burnham then there is hope for the future.

Yes, I do know that Andy Burnham is currently mayor of Greater Manchester but he needs to be brought back into the fold and yes I do know that his former Leigh constituency is now part of the blue wall. By now, I realise that time-travel is probably necessary.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)