The next Labour Leader

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PH

Re: The next Labour Leader

Post by PH »

Oldjohnw wrote:I don't think you like me:-( :cry:

I'm sorry you think that, it wasn't about you at all, I don't know you, I don't know if I'd like you or not, or you me, I don't have to agree with someone to like them, which is just as well... It was about what you wrote, or more accurately what you didn't, re-read your post, it doesn't say anything, it isn't a part of any discussion, you seem to be objecting to something, but haven't even said what, just who.
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

To be honest, I don’t have in depth knowledge about any of the candidates ( but prefer Jess Phillips ). Keir-Starmer appears to be favourite but I have my doubts about him. As a London based lawyer and the most prominent remainer I worry that he won’t be about to empathise with those northern constituencies that have turned from red to blue. As a cabinet minister I also think he is partly responsible for the disaster of befell Labour in December.
Would someone like to give me the alternative view please?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
IIRC Jess Phillips, was the one I was talking about further up the post.
I saw her on TV late one evening, she said "it needs someone to take on Boris "
Also "We need to take on the Tories for the next three years ".
I might be wrong on the actual candid it, but I wasn't wrong on the text.

Get back to basics? Yes we all need to get back to basics.

If you watch all politicians when they talk whether they be addressing questions or just talking about a subject, it's just like a series of mini speeches, I think they believe what they say, but we don't always believe them do we.

The problem is if the words or phrases weren't catchworthy most of us probably wouldn't even notice?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

who the ****** are these people?

who the  ______ are these people..JPG

dont stand a chance against Boris?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Whippet wrote:To be honest, I don’t have in depth knowledge about any of the candidates ( but prefer Jess Phillips ). Keir-Starmer appears to be favourite but I have my doubts about him. As a London based lawyer and the most prominent remainer I worry that he won’t be about to empathise with those northern constituencies that have turned from red to blue. As a cabinet minister I also think he is partly responsible for the disaster of befell Labour in December.

London based lawyer!

So instead, those Northern based voters chose an old Etonian classicist.
John
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Oldjohnw wrote:an old Etonian classicist.

"Classicist" is probably overstating the fragments of Latin he has retained. He is a good bluffer: could write the bluffer's guide.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mike Sales wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:an old Etonian classicist.

"Classicist" is probably overstating the fragments of Latin he has retained. He is a good bluffer: could write the bluffer's guide.

Quite.
John
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Whippet wrote:To be honest, I don’t have in depth knowledge about any of the candidates ( but prefer Jess Phillips ). Keir-Starmer appears to be favourite but I have my doubts about him. As a London based lawyer and the most prominent remainer I worry that he won’t be about to empathise with those northern constituencies that have turned from red to blue. As a cabinet minister I also think he is partly responsible for the disaster of befell Labour in December.

London based lawyer!

Loath him or loath him, Johnson knows how to communicate with people across social divides. I’m fully aware that he’ll be screwing over the working class and lining the pockets of the privileged. If Labour want to beat him they will need a leader with similar communication skills.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Whippet wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

London based lawyer!

Loath him or loath him, Johnson knows how to communicate with people across social divides. I’m fully aware that he’ll be screwing over the working class and lining the pockets of the privileged. If Labour want to beat him they will need a leader with similar communication skills.

The personality of the next leader will be of the utmost importance.
This is why I think Keir Starmer won't be the best choice.
Genuine, knowledgeable guy who isn't extreme but he comes across as rather lack lustre. His communication skills are pretty good but he lacks the charisma to beat Boris.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

francovendee wrote:[
Genuine, knowledgeable guy who isn't extreme but he comes across as rather lack lustre. His communication skills are pretty good but he lacks the charisma to beat Boris.

Which begs the question is the popularity competition British democracy has became under FPTP the best way to choose who should run the country?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Whilst a leader needs to be able to inspire, it is such a pity if the rather ephemeral and subjective characteristics of charisma are held as supreme, rather than vision, integrity and substance.
John
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
pete75 wrote:
francovendee wrote:[

Which begs the question is the popularity competition British democracy has became under FPTP the best way to choose who should run the country?

The little I know, the first time I heard Starmer talk I thought he is much better than Jeremy.
Unfortunately over the weekend he has confirmed that nothing much will change, he is not going to dish Jeremy's last four years?
In my opinion Just reaffirming that you will carry on in the Labour Party like they have done in the last four years basically means more failure.
That's why a success full leader or a new Labour leader needs to come up with a new plan.
A few words from Starmer and I now see that he is just Jeremy's blood brother.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
PH

Post by PH »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
The little I know, the first time I heard Starmer talk I thought he is much better than Jeremy.
Unfortunately over the weekend he has confirmed that nothing much will change, he is not going to dish Jeremy's last four years?

There is a division in the party - Those who would go back to New Labour and those who want traditional Labour values. Anyone who can appeal to both is likely to win, I'm listening to what the candidates are saying and questioning if it's what they believe or what they believe will get them the job.
There is also a divide among those who have traditionally voted Labour, but it's along different lines, so the risk is the person most likely to unite the party may not be the most likely to unite the electorate.
I don't know the answer, I don't even know who I'll vote for.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
PH

Post by PH »

al_yrpal wrote:Mrs Long Bailey...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 8913809103

?? Another?

Al

It's the sort of smear you'd expect from the press to someone seen as Corbyn's natural successor.
It's not much of a story - she said “I have been working as a solicitor with the NHS in Manchester for the past 10 years.” The truth was she'd been working as a solicitor for seven years and as a para legal for the previous three. If that's the most damming thing they can come up with, and I expect they've been digging deep, she's in for an easy ride. If the Times were to print every slight discrepancy in The Boris Story, it'd cause a World paper shortage and end unemployment.