The next Labour Leader

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 8959
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Think Cheddar and Cider
Contact:

Re: The next Labour Leader

Postby al_yrpal » 5 Jan 2020, 8:10pm

So there's actually no new laws and as we know the government are preparing our own British bill on workers rights to replace the EU law which is unfit for purpose. So far no rights have actually been removed.

https://www.lewissilkin.com/en/insights ... government

So what you posted in untrue.

The other stuff is just speculation or propaganda depending on how you look at it. Again it's untrue.

https://vote.conservatives.com/our-priorities/nhs

It's unfortunate that gullible people get misinformed and believe the totally misleading stuff you posted. Still, I suppose it's a great way of Labour getting support...fool the public with fake news.
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

User avatar
NUKe
Posts: 3991
Joined: 23 Apr 2007, 11:07pm
Location: Suffolk

Re: The next Labour Leader

Postby NUKe » 6 Jan 2020, 12:38am

al_yrpal wrote:So there's actually no new laws and as we know the government are preparing our own British bill on workers rights to replace the EU law which is unfit for purpose. So far no rights have actually been removed.

https://www.lewissilkin.com/en/insights ... government

So what you posted in untrue.

The other stuff is just speculation or propaganda depending on how you look at it. Again it's untrue.

https://vote.conservatives.com/our-priorities/nhs

It's unfortunate that gullible people get misinformed and believe the totally misleading stuff you posted. Still, I suppose it's a great way of Labour getting support...fool the public with fake news.

You replied with a link that didn’t work and a link to vote conservative, nice try :lol:


You really trust a Conservative government to enshrine workers rights in law ? Maybe reintroduce the poor law and the workhouse ? Yes the latter was suggested by a Conservative think tank. The section on workers rights has already been removed from the current Brexit bill since the election.Boris has threatened to remove the right to strike from transport workers. Threatened channel 4 and the BBC

And I wouldn’t believe anything on a vote conservative page , their media campaign was found to contain 58% lies Is this the same as Boris Johnson 350 million a week for the NHS or the 50,000 Nurses of which 19000 were working for the NHS now what about their record from the las 10 years on the NHS. Waiting times are the longest ever and god knows 4 hours is too long anyway if you are sick and at our local hospital they only make that 60% of the time, cancer waits are the longest ever, the life expectancy is dropping, mental health is in crisis. They created this crisis. And they are inviting bids from private companies now. If Johnson breaks another promise on pharmaceutical patents we could see drug prices double Tripple or worse and yes they were discussing it.


And you call me guilible.
NUKe
_____________________________________

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 8959
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Think Cheddar and Cider
Contact:

Re: The next Labour Leader

Postby al_yrpal » 6 Jan 2020, 10:03am

Nice try Nuke, but what you have posted doesnt support the assertion that the government has trashed workers rights and that the NHS is now run by the US of A. Ridiculous assertions like these dont resonate with the general public, they just indicate desperation and lack of ideas. The public isnt convinced by Labours abilities, as evidenced by unprecedented Tory success in the recent election. The next Labour leader is going to have to convince the electorate of realism and competence. Are we there yet? Not a chance.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

PH
Posts: 9774
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: The next Labour Leader

Postby PH » 6 Jan 2020, 10:18am

al_yrpal wrote:Nice try Nuke, but what you have posted doesnt support the assertion that the government has trashed workers rights and that the NHS is now run by the US of A. Ridiculous assertions like these dont resonate with the general public,Al

That isn't what NUKe said.
He said "already being sold" and the evidence for that came to light during the election, though like everything else that didn't play to the right wing agenda it was drowned out. Much like you're attempting to do now...

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 8959
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Think Cheddar and Cider
Contact:

Re: The next Labour Leader

Postby al_yrpal » 6 Jan 2020, 10:50am

Whatever..'already being sold' is unproven too. The whole NHS? Part of the NHS? A lot of the NHS is outsourced already and has been for many years via both Labour and Tories. My family has been treated in private hospitals via the NHS where there is a capacity problem. The Consultants we saw were actually NHS Consultants moonlighting. The main point about the NHS is that treatment and care is free at the point of delivery except for eyecare, much of dental care, social care and dementia. It would be Hari Kari for any political party to suggest that the NHS should be run by private contractors or even to claim that that is actually being considered.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 12411
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: The next Labour Leader

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 6 Jan 2020, 11:09am

Hi,
pwa wrote:Hopefully on a more positive note, the search for a new leader for the party is commencing. Most people would say that in a healthy democracy we need a strong and vibrant Opposition with good support, if only to remind the Government of the day that there is an alternative if they don't produce the goods. Who is the right person to take on this role?

Any thoughts, or is it too early?

Maybe not waste any more breath on bashing the opposition and get back to the original question posed by the poster.
In my opinion labour are treading water and sinking, because it is better not to waste the next three months, sack Corby and put in a caretaker who ever they are, that way labour and the country haven't wasted another three months.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

roubaixtuesday
Posts: 3510
Joined: 18 Aug 2015, 7:05pm

Re: The next Labour Leader

Postby roubaixtuesday » 6 Jan 2020, 6:07pm

In which Yvette Cooper writes a very sensible summary of the situation but concludes that being so sensible naturally precludes her from standing herself :?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... rty-leader

Oldjohnw
Posts: 5741
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: The next Labour Leader

Postby Oldjohnw » 8 Jan 2020, 8:23am

On current showing, Rebecca Wrong-Daily isn't doing too well. Clearly, it's everyone else's fault. Losing was really winning.
John

PH
Posts: 9774
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: The next Labour Leader

Postby PH » 8 Jan 2020, 10:50am

roubaixtuesday wrote:In which Yvette Cooper writes a very sensible summary of the situation but concludes that being so sensible naturally precludes her from standing herself :?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... rty-leader

It would be hard to disagree with most of that, though when reading the part about all sides of the party working together, you'd have to forget all the divisive behaviour she's exhibited since she lost the last leadership contest.
This bit is something many of the Corbyn haters ought to try and understand before choosing a new leader "voters in towns such as mine in Yorkshire felt neither Jeremy Corbyn nor Tony Blair were listening to them."

pete75
Posts: 13641
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: The next Labour Leader

Postby pete75 » 8 Jan 2020, 11:20am

al_yrpal wrote:So there's actually no new laws and as we know the government are preparing our own British bill on workers rights to replace the EU law which is unfit for purpose. So far no rights have actually been removed.


In what way is it unfit for purpose? You need to justify that statement.

pete75
Posts: 13641
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: The next Labour Leader

Postby pete75 » 8 Jan 2020, 11:22am

al_yrpal wrote:So there's actually no new laws and as we know the government are preparing our own British bill on workers rights to replace the EU law which is unfit for purpose. So far no rights have actually been removed.


In what way is it unfit for purpose? You need to justify that statement.

PH
Posts: 9774
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: The next Labour Leader

Postby PH » 8 Jan 2020, 2:05pm

Oldjohnw wrote:On current showing, Rebecca Wrong-Daily isn't doing too well. Clearly, it's everyone else's fault. Losing was really winning.

If ever anyone was looking for an example of why political debate is so poor, this would have to be right up there. Where's the respect in manipulating someone's name in an attempt to be funny? She's an MP, the voters in her constituency have just re-elected her, yet you think she can be lightly dismissed without even bothering to say why, what's the story? There's nothing in your post, except the idea that she's doing badly, where, when, says who? If we want politics to be taken seriously in this country, then we have to take it seriously.

Oldjohnw
Posts: 5741
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: The next Labour Leader

Postby Oldjohnw » 8 Jan 2020, 2:38pm

PH wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:On current showing, Rebecca Wrong-Daily isn't doing too well. Clearly, it's everyone else's fault. Losing was really winning.

If ever anyone was looking for an example of why political debate is so poor, this would have to be right up there. Where's the respect in manipulating someone's name in an attempt to be funny? She's an MP, the voters in her constituency have just re-elected her, yet you think she can be lightly dismissed without even bothering to say why, what's the story? There's nothing in your post, except the idea that she's doing badly, where, when, says who? If we want politics to be taken seriously in this country, then we have to take it seriously.


I don't think you like me:-( :cry:

People elected both Trump and Johnson. They are still liars. People elected May: she was still incompetent.
John

pete75
Posts: 13641
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: The next Labour Leader

Postby pete75 » 8 Jan 2020, 2:41pm

Oldjohnw wrote:
PH wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:On current showing, Rebecca Wrong-Daily isn't doing too well. Clearly, it's everyone else's fault. Losing was really winning.

If ever anyone was looking for an example of why political debate is so poor, this would have to be right up there. Where's the respect in manipulating someone's name in an attempt to be funny? She's an MP, the voters in her constituency have just re-elected her, yet you think she can be lightly dismissed without even bothering to say why, what's the story? There's nothing in your post, except the idea that she's doing badly, where, when, says who? If we want politics to be taken seriously in this country, then we have to take it seriously.


I don't think you like me:-( :cry:



It seems to be a normal tactic of the right. There are many examples tea shop postings. Some also appear to take criticism of something they've said as a personal attack.

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 12411
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: The next Labour Leader

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 8 Jan 2020, 2:55pm

Hi,
From the little I have seen so far, it appears that the ..some of...the leader candidates IIRC (two) are saying along the lines of....there is no single reason why labour failed to connect.............take on Johnson.etc.

But one of maybe both said we need to reconnect.

If we are to return to a balanced democracy, then maybe concentrate, that is the candidates need to stick to that and not waste media time and our time as well as their own...............reconnect yes!

My local mp who has changed sides several times in two years (3), probably isn't aware that they need to serve what the people want, otherwise you don't get elected....as a mp at least.

This is still called "Labour Leader"

My local mp did once present them selves, but I declined as IIRC at that time they had come out as a stay and I am bent on leave, I estimate it would of been along discussion as I would of pressed why we never see them and only when they need to rely on us.

May be some of you newbees remember my post pre "Brexit" post........." EU Ref I Am Confused.

I am still confused to this day.
I belive that MP's should spend more time talking to they electorate and more time informing us which direction and why they are going.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.