What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Post by Oldjohnw »

Footballer on radio today on why he and his mates "take the knee".

"We need to stand up for what we believe in."
John
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Oldjohnw wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 12:00pm Footballer on radio today on why he and his mates "take the knee".

"We need to stand up for what we believe in."
Ironically the original taking the knee was when Martin Luther king knelt in reverence for God to pray for people who were arrested for protesting about not being able to vote.

When I see people taking the knee and not bowing the head in reverence then I think they're doing it wrong. I believe in the sentiment of the protest but I think they're using the submissive act of kneeling in prayer as a form of protest itself and I feel the great MLK would have fundamentally disapproved of that.

Just my opinion.
I am here. Where are you?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 3:27pmIronically the original taking the knee was when Martin Luther king knelt in reverence for God to pray for people who were arrested for protesting about not being able to vote.
The symbolism is a lot older than that.

One important component is the non-aggressive position. This is deliberate.

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 3:39pm
Cowsham wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 3:27pmIronically the original taking the knee was when Martin Luther king knelt in reverence for God to pray for people who were arrested for protesting about not being able to vote.
The symbolism is a lot older than that.

One important component is the non-aggressive position. This is deliberate.

Jonathan
It's still in reverence not protest.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Cowsham wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 3:27pm
Ironically the original taking the knee was when Martin Luther king knelt in reverence for God to pray for people who were arrested for protesting about not being able to vote.

When I see people taking the knee and not bowing the head in reverence then I think they're doing it wrong. I believe in the sentiment of the protest but I think they're using the submissive act of kneeling in prayer as a form of protest itself and I feel the great MLK would have fundamentally disapproved of that.

Just my opinion.
Are you sure about the originator of the gesture being MLK.
The first four sites I find when I search for its meaning refer to Colin Kaepernick as the first, in this context.

The fifth says this:-
While Kaepernick failed to land an NFL contract for the following season, prompting accusations he had been sidelined for political reasons, the protests in the league became far more widespread. Trump, now president, said players should be fired for kneeling. Two members of Congress took a knee in the House in support of the NFL players, as did celebrities and even police officers.

At around the same time, Bernice King, the daughter of the murdered civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr, tweeted a picture of Kaepernick taking a knee with Eric Reid, the first NFL player to join him in the protest, alongside that of her father kneeling in prayer outside the Dallas County courthouse in Alabama on 1 February 1965 during a peaceful demonstration. She captioned the two images: “The real shame and disrespect is that, decades after the first photo, racism still kills people and corrupts systems.”
What Martin Luther King would think has to be supposition,but his daughter does not see it the same way as you.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 3:41pmIt's still in reverence not protest.
I don't think so.

In the pictures of King, especially after being arrested, his head is down and he is leading prayers.

In the abolitionist images and in most but not all pictures of Kaepernick, the head is up. This isn't a typical position of prayer.

And, as above, the current practice leads directly from Kaepernick's action.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 16 Jun 2021, 3:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Neither the image of King nor the slave provided the inspiration for Kaepernick, however. It is often forgotten that his initial protest was to remain seated for the national anthem, mirroring a 1996 protest by the NBA basketball player Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, who took the same action citing US tyranny.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We, in the Royal Navy, remain seated for the National Anthem.

Thought I'd chuck this into the mix. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Mick F wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 5:00pm We, in the Royal Navy, remain seated for the National Anthem.

Is not this because otherwise you would bang your head on the deckhead?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, but that was back in the day when we had sailing ships.
It's still the same nowadays, even in barracks and high ceilings.
The point I make, is that we ALL don't stand for the National Anthem and even now it's still observed in the RN.

I left the RN back in 1996, so I don't necessarily sit during the NA any more! :D :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The National Anthem, or only the Loyal Toast?

BRd 1834
December 2018 Version 1
ROYAL NAVY CEREMONIAL AND DRILL
(5) Officers and Ratings are to stand at attention, face the appropriate direction and, if wearing head-dress, salute:
(a) Whenever the National Anthem or any foreign National Anthem is played.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... k1%201.pdf

The Naval Mess Dinner
The late Marquis of Milford Haven (Lord Louis Mountbatten’s father) when First Sea Lord, drew attention to the fact in Admiralty orders that, although the Navy had the privilege of sitting when honouring the ‘loyal toast,’ the privilege did not apply when the National Anthem (“God Save the Queen”) was played. This was in strict accordance with the wishes of His Majesty, King George V. Thus Admiralty Instructions read:
“The underlying idea is that whenever the anthem is played, when the King’s Health is proposed, everyone stands up. If it is not played, people remain seated."

https://readyayeready.com/tradition/nav ... dinner.php

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Say what you want, and link what you want.
I know what I'm talking about.
Try it on an HM Ship.

Try it on a shore base, and it's different.

Been there, there done it.
27years in the RN man and boy.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 5:00pm We, in the Royal Navy, remain seated for the National Anthem.

(My emphasis.) I thought it was only flag officers who remained in the RN (on the Reserve List?) after they had effectively retired.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

So do I but that's usually because I'm playing it on piano :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D :D :D :D
Thanks TC and Cowsham.
Made me laugh, both of you!

I remain on the service pension scheme. I still need my service number, and Mrs Mick F still needs to be on the "books" because if and when I pop my clogs before her, she still needs all the info to receive a good portion of my pension for the rest of her life.
Mick F. Cornwall