What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mattheus

Re: What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Post by mattheus »

colin54 wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 7:33am I bought myself a blood pressure monitor on (or should that be off of) ebay the other day,
on,
from, or
off
Please. All are within reason ...

But NEVER say "off of". I beg you!
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Those are the stupid crows though. The clever crows stand on the left corner of the food box, dig their claws in and flap their wings so the box tips up clockwise and the food falls out. :lol:
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

About the funniest thing I've heard all week is the news item that identifies military hardware as endangering the effort to tackle climate change... I'm just doing a fag-packet exercise and pondering the levels of spending world-wide on arms and armies - and then wondering to myself which I'd prefer, if I were in charge.
Armies or a planet to live on?
Gee that's a tough 'un. Daddy or chips Daddy or chips Daddy or chips?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

mattheus wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 11:33am
colin54 wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 7:33am I bought myself a blood pressure monitor on (or should that be off of) ebay the other day,
on,
from, or
off
Please. All are within reason ...

Sorry, but I quite like "off of", even if the "of" is superfluous or redundant. I know it's an Americanism - "It was too cold of a day to be wearing short pants" might be another (equally wrong!) example - but I just think it has a certain je ne sais quoi (even though it's wrong!).

The late Scots humourist Cliff Hanley told a story about an incident which occurred in Glasgow that caused a road to be closed. When someone asked what had caused the closure, they were met with the reply/explanation, "Flaflafflorry"...

"What's that?"

"Flaflafflorry."

"Say again?"

"Ttt... Flaflafflorry."

A fella hud fell aff a lorry. But not aff of the lorry, it being Glesca and not somewhere in America. :)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Manc33 wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 3:35pm Those are the stupid crows though. The clever crows stand on the left corner of the food box, dig their claws in and flap their wings so the box tips up clockwise and the food falls out. :lol:
Do you need to crow about your crows?
I am here. Where are you?
colin54

Post by colin54 »

mattheus wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 11:33am
:lol:
I'll try not to write it, but I can't promise not to say it. :D
Thanks Mattheus, you have made me laugh today !
Nu-Fogey
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Sorting through some books of my late father. found a copy of the Uxbridge dictionary, I didn't realise at first it was a spoof dictionary. absolutely hilarious. well worth a read.

"Ketchup" to draw level

"Context" A prison library book
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I've been catching a bit of a whiff recently, during and after a muddy midweek ride, I said to my riding pal is that the
smell of foxes, but he couldn't smell anything. I even had a shower, despite it not being January yet.
I was just pumping up my tyres this evening and picked what looked like a lump of tarmac nestled between the chain stay and mudguard....I caught a niff of the offending smell,.... it wasn't tarmac.
Nu-Fogey
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Was at the local War Memorial this morning. I laid a wreath for the RN.
The ceremony went along perfectly and obviously very moving and solemn.
Lady bugler for the Last Post and the Reveille.

After it was all over and we were dispersing, I saw that the lady bugler was heavily pregnant! :D
I told her I'd never met a pregnant lady bugler before, and she told me she was due this Thursday! :shock:
I suggested that she could have gone into labour half-way through the Last Post!
She replied that there was a "spare bugler" in the band! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The two of us giggled about the whole prospect!
Mick F. Cornwall
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Can babies hear while they're still in the womb? Something I've never thought of! :lol:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

kylecycler wrote: 14 Nov 2021, 5:13pm Can babies hear while they're still in the womb?
They can from 30 weeks, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was earlier. And that's "hear" in the sense of doing something with the information.

Jonathan
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Jdsk wrote: 14 Nov 2021, 5:21pm
kylecycler wrote: 14 Nov 2021, 5:13pm Can babies hear while they're still in the womb?
They can from 30 weeks, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was earlier. And that's "hear" in the sense of doing something with the information.

Jonathan
Well, there you go. Like I said, I'd never even thought about it.

Only loosely related, I once heard the ex-footballer Robbie Savage described as having being 'booed out of the womb', in fact in his case he was probably booed in the womb so I guess he must have heard it! :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The baby ........ in a few days ........ will come out being able to play the trumpet. :D

My dad was a trained and accomplished pianist and church organist. Absolutely brilliant at the keyboards and a good music reader. Give him some sheet music and he could play easily. Played in the NAAFI during the war when in the RAF.

Mrs Mick F's father was a pianist too, but self-taught and his father before him. Mrs MickF's father used to play in the pubs in Manchester in the 40's and early 50's playing boogie woogie and upbeat numbers. He could drink like a fish and the punters would line up pints on top of the piano for him to keep playing. It was only later that he found out that some of them were taking bets how many pints he could drink and still keep playing! :D

Me?
Can I play like my dad?
Mrs Mick F?
Can she play like her dad?

Nope. Neither of us.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

56137.jpeg
:lol: :lol:
LollyKat