What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Re: What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Post by Cowsham »

Pebble wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 2:45pm
mattheus wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 12:07pm Qs:
- Where is pebble?
- what language(s) is that panda labelled in?
- Am I missing the joke?
middle of no where https://goo.gl/maps/MYx8qa4ErhRUyGNK7

I guess the writing on the bonnet is Gaelic ? not sure why, I don't think anyone speaks mainly gaelic for many a mile

not really a joke, but after saying I had not seen a policeman this year to suddenly nearly bump into one on this road did make me smile, and a smile is nearly a laugh ? thought I would share, maybe not?

Anyway, another bit of off-topicness (what made me smile yesterday)
not as good as "Forfar 4" but anyone got any simillar
:lol: you lot over there have some funny names for places -- Pratt's Bottom comes to mind

The best I can come up with here is Ahoghill -- pronounced Ahaughil with a good wallop of phlegm at the back of your throat between the u and the g.
I am here. Where are you?
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Cowsham wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 7:21pm
:lol: you lot over there have some funny names for places -- Pratt's Bottom comes to mind

The best I can come up with here is Ahoghill -- pronounced Ahaughil with a good wallop of phlegm at the back of your throat between the u and the g.
I beg your pardon, I'm up here not over there - and I don't have a pratts bottom, may be a brooks bottom but not a pratts one - LOL
:D :D
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Mick F wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 3:39pm
Pebble wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 2:45pm .........not as good as "Forfar 4" but anyone got any simillar
Good question! :D

We have Twelvewoods, Fivelanes, Sevenstones, Four-lanes-end, Doublewaters, Twowatersfoot and Doublebois.
Can't say I've seen any direction posts to them with mileages on them though.
I think we need a thread to put pictures in of direction signs with mileages that match the names - obviously entries only valid if your bike is also in the picture.

I will let you start the thread and as such you can chose a meaningful subject title. lol
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

This one's a good football/rugby score. :D
Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 10.38.50.png
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.52833 ... 312!8i6656
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Lots of places called Newbridge, Newtown etc are not new at all :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Not so much laugh but a titter, also, a what the hell. Just coming back from sons house along cycle path from next village. Chap coming the other way on said path, Cervelo carbon job, completely decked out in colour coordinated "Rapha". Flat pedals and white lace up plimsoles, grinding a good 100 inch gear into the wind at about 5mph, feet bent around pedals. Only saving grace was the pink highlights on his attire matched his somewhat ruddy complexion perfectly.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 10:44am Lots of places called Newbridge, Newtown etc are not new at all :wink:
Co Durham has Fanny Barks, Nickynack Bridge, Pity Me and a farm called Dirt Pit. Near Sunderland is a farm called Make-me-rich.
oldtimer99

Post by oldtimer99 »

Pidley Sheep Lane near St Ives Cambridgeshire always got my dad cackling
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

oldtimer99 wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 2:12pm Pidley Sheep Lane near St Ives Cambridgeshire always got my dad cackling
My dad always used to laugh at Loch Tollaidh in Wester Ross, between Gairloch and Poolewe. It's pronounced 'tollie', my dad was from Cambuslang, a suburb of Glasgow, and a 'tollie' in Glesca slang is 'The act or product of defecation. Sometimes used as a name for an objectionable person.' - examples: "lik' flies roon a tollie" or "See him, 'e's a tollie." Tbh, mind you, I've never heard it anywhere but from my dad.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Found this on reddit this morning: Two hikers in the Alps... :D

Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The news reporters are having difficulties in reporting about the newly discovered Corona Virus strain.

A new variant has emerged on the island of Anglesey, and it's the Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch variant.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Working with an old mate yesterday who I've known for 30 years and he's recently got divorced. Told me he'd deleted all the photos of his ex-wife and his phone was now 20grams lighter!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
peetee

Post by peetee »

For anyone interested in wacky place names and what should really be done with them I can thoroughly recommend this book.
78299B1F-CCE1-4BEF-9B2A-A3FE33D9F4EE.jpeg
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Mick F wrote: 27 May 2021, 8:54pm The news reporters are having difficulties in reporting about the newly discovered Corona Virus strain.

A new variant has emerged on the island of Anglesey, and it's the Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch variant.
:lol:
I am here. Where are you?
colin54

Post by colin54 »

The road out of Skelmersdale that I use had this reversed & repurposed slippery surface sign, the road is a patchwork of potholes, patches & patches on top of patches, worn out top layers etc. They filled in some more last week , hence the sign.
P1140024.JPG
P1140023.JPG
It's hard to see the pot-holes riding down it, they're well camouflaged due to dappled sunlight coming through trees at the roadside when the sun is low. Cars coming the other way cross over the centre line to avoid potholes on their side, stopping cyclists from picking a safe line if cycling in the opposite direction (plus cars overtaking).
P1130561.JPG
The road doesn't make me smile, but the sign did.
Nu-Fogey