What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Post by Oldjohnw »

I wonder if any doctors, lawyers or doctors might have a view on whether or not they work.
John
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I was chatting to some '20 something' lads yesterday down by the canal, one of them described my only slightly tatty
Carradice saddle bag as 'rustic'. That made me larf that did, I'll have to start growing roses around it.
Nu-Fogey
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Oldjohnw wrote: 29 Aug 2021, 5:11pm I wonder if any doctors, lawyers or doctors might have a view on whether or not they work.
Define "work".

In my opinion, doctors and lawyers are professionals within a highly skilled occupation.
They ain't ship-builders, miners, dockers, road maintenance diggers, lorry drivers, bus drivers, cleaners, supermarket check-out people ........................ the list is endless ........................ but it doesn't include lawyers and doctors.

But I think you knew this anyway.
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

People in “white collar” jobs still work. I have worked all my life. Not hard labour, but then, neither is checkout operation or bus driving.

Silly distinction.
John
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Oldjohnw wrote: 30 Aug 2021, 7:04am People in “white collar” jobs still work. I have worked all my life. Not hard labour, but then, neither is checkout operation or bus driving.

Silly distinction.
Working Mens Clubs(WMCs) have always been associated with and used by what was 'the working class'.The working class are/were not generally Doctors,Lawyers etc.
I've seen 100s of Conservative,Labour,Liberal and WMCs over the years I've never seen a CWMC before and it didn't compute so made me laugh.
There's 'work' and 'work' :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The "classes" descriptions have changed these days. Probably Americanisation.

When I was a lad at school, we learned about the class structure.
Working Class
Middle Class
Upper Class.

Working Class were blue collar workers - factories, mines, shipbuilding, dockers, etc.
Middle Class were professionals and with university degrees - solicitors, bank managers, doctors, land-owners etc
Upper Class were titled monied people with big houses with (working class) staff and of "independent means".
Mick F. Cornwall
Debs

Post by Debs »

Mick F wrote: 30 Aug 2021, 11:00am Working Class
Middle Class
Upper Class.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Mick F wrote: 30 Aug 2021, 11:00am The "classes" descriptions have changed these days. Probably Americanisation.

When I was a lad at school, we learned about the class structure.
Working Class
Middle Class
Upper Class.

Working Class were blue collar workers - factories, mines, shipbuilding, dockers, etc.
Middle Class were professionals and with university degrees - solicitors, bank managers, doctors, land-owners etc
Upper Class were titled monied people with big houses with (working class) staff and of "independent means".
I was brought up in Eskbank, the posh area of Dalkeith, south of Edinburgh. Away back in the early 1900s there was a Reverend Black at St John's Church, which is kind of on the border between Eskbank and Dalkeith, who would announce that there was to be a coffee morning and that the ladies of Eskbank and the women of Dalkeith were welcome to attend.

Even the way they were pronounced was different, though - if you lived in Eskbank you pronounced it 'Eskbenk' and called Dalkeith 'Dalkeith', whereas if you lived in Dalkeith you pronounced Eskbank 'Eskbank' and Dalkeith 'Dolkieth'.

Edit to add - Debs - you got there before me! :lol:
Last edited by kylecycler on 30 Aug 2021, 11:39am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I doubt the change is Americanisation . Apart from the titled and hereditary people, the descriptions are quite absurd. My father was a painter and decorator and my mother worked in the Co-op. I have a post graduate qualification but I am still what I was.

My wife’s grandfather was a road worker: she went to Oxford. Both of us have worked hard all our lives. She came home utterly exhausted after a day on her feet and no let up from 8.00am until 6.30pm.

Blue collar workers can today earn much more than many so-called middle class. It doesn’t take a lot to earn more than a graduate teacher or middle ranking civil servant.

Some people, of course, are hugely privileged and some think they are entitled. I have little or no respect for them. I worked in prisons where I met people among the residents from the humblest backgrounds to the rich, famous and titled. In prison they were all the same. I had huge respect for the most underprivileged who turned themselves around.
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The Americanisation I referred to is "The Middle Classes".
This means - these days - people on middle incomes and house-owners living in suburbia.
Nothing to do with background or heritage.

Lower Classes are the uneducated and the poorly paid living in digs and inner city rented flats.

Throughout the latter stages of the 20th century, the middle classes have become richer whilst the poorer have become poorer.

Using the modern way of looking at it, we are middle class.
Independent means, retired and money in the bank, home owners, land owners.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with my working class upbringing in Wigan with my heritage of the men working down the coal mines and the mothers bringing up the children in red-brick terraced back-to-back rented houses with the daughters working in the cotton mills.

Sorry, it doesn't make me laugh at all. It makes me very sad indeed.

Very much off topic. :cry:
Mick F. Cornwall
RickH

Post by RickH »

Please note: your password must contain -
  • at least 8 letters
  • upper & lower case letters
  • a symbol or number
  • a hieroglyph
  • a haiku
  • a musical note
  • the feather of a hawk
  • & a drop of unicorn blood
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

RickH wrote: 30 Aug 2021, 3:12pm
Please note: your password must contain -
  • at least 8 letters
  • upper & lower case letters
  • a symbol or number
  • a hieroglyph
  • a haiku
  • a musical note
  • the feather of a hawk
  • & a drop of unicorn blood
If you get it wrong 3 times a big firey bolder will be rolling towards you.
I am here. Where are you?
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Duplicate post
Last edited by colin54 on 31 Aug 2021, 8:28am, edited 1 time in total.
Nu-Fogey
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I've watched this short video of 'reboxing' a used Brooks saddle loads of time, brilliant, deadpan, tongue in cheek stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28vTMH- ... A7&index=2
Two and a half minutes long.
He has a few more Brooks videos, click on the playlists.
There's an unboxing a B17 one which is v. droll as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9J03XL ... A7&index=3
5 minutes long
Nu-Fogey
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Hellhound wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 10:52pm Walked past a Conservative Working Mens Club in a small Gloucestershire town :lol: :lol: :lol:
Conservative..
Working Mens Club....
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I was tempted to call in for a pint and debate the obvious error in the name of the establishment but I was in a good mood so didn't want to spoil it :D
Plenty of "working men" (or Lower Class, or whatever ...) vote Conservative. I believe in the North of England there has a been a big swing from Labout to Con in that demographic since B**xit.