What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Re: What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Post by Cowsham »

kylecycler wrote: 3 Aug 2021, 3:10pm
Mick F wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 9:14pm Grandson (11yo) at school, and they were studying 20th century pop music.
His mum asked it about it, and he told her about The Spice Girls.

Sporty
Posh
Scary
Spooky

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Reminds me of a conversation with a pupil when I was a driving instructor, a pawky wee character from Drongan (pronounced Drungun), a village in Ershur (Ayrshire). It was around the time the racing driver Jenson Button was just starting out in F1 with Williams; he'd been interviewed and it just happened to crop up in the interview that he couldn't name The Beatles. Some found that sad, and slightly shocking, but he was only in his early twenties, you tend to forget how long ago The Beatles were together, and when you think about it you fairly seldom hear their music nowadays, even though I'm sure most of us are hugely familiar with it - and their names!

So just out of curiosity, I asked the wee fellow if he could name The Beatles, and he thought for a bit then replied, "Dae ah ken The Beatles? Aw aye, aye, ah ken The Beatles, aye... Wan o' rum's cried Paul, an' 'e yissed tae be mairiet tae a Welsh burd wi' wan an' a hawf legs... Twae o' rum's deid... An' ah hink th'ither yin yissed tae be Thomas the Tank Engine." :)

Fame is but the blink of an eye.
Much the same way we'd say that.
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Manc33 wrote: 4 Aug 2021, 1:48am A guy claiming jumbo jets can reach speeds of 1,000 MPH when they obviously can't.
A few years ago a guy at work who used to work for an aircraft factory, establishing himself as the font of all aeronautical knowledge, informed me that the human body can only fall at 120MPH terminal velocity and took it very badly when I asked him " What about the guy that broke the sound barrier then " he laughed and said " Chuck Yeager?" He got progressively angrier as he heaped more egg on himself. ( in the air it's about 300MPH head down in a suit -- other higher faster jumps needed space suits )
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Cowsham wrote: 4 Aug 2021, 12:51pm
Manc33 wrote: 4 Aug 2021, 1:48am A guy claiming jumbo jets can reach speeds of 1,000 MPH when they obviously can't.
A few years ago a guy at work who used to work for an aircraft factory, establishing himself as the font of all aeronautical knowledge, informed me that the human body can only fall at 120MPH terminal velocity and took it very badly when I asked him " What about the guy that broke the sound barrier then " he laughed and said " Chuck Yeager?" He got progressively angrier as he heaped more egg on himself. ( in the air it's about 300MPH head down in a suit -- other higher faster jumps needed space suits )
Another few years ago - a different guy advised the small assembled company in the café (sheltering from the rain) that a human free-falling from an aeroplane would reach a terminal velocity of no more than about 120mph - the 'apparent' low figure was due to the friction of air-resistance. (I take no responsibility for the accuracy or otherwise of that figure.)

A response was something along the lines of : ".....nay, I've gone more'n that freewheelin' dahn Fleet Moss.....".

(To be honest,that didn't take place today - it made me laugh today because I've just remembered it)
Last edited by JohnW on 4 Aug 2021, 1:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Received a letter today from CUK.
I'm not a member, and haven't been for a while.

Covering letter for the voting for the 2021 AGM is (not) signed by Phil Hall, diector of organisational effectiveness and finance! :lol: :lol:

It says, "yours sincerely".
It's not sincere as it wasn't signed.
Organisational effectiveness and finance?

Also, they have my name and my membership number, and also my address of course .............. and I'm not a member any more yet I can vote! :lol: :lol:

Sincerely .......... and then not sign it .................. and send it to a non-member?
Don't make me laugh! :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

JohnW wrote: 4 Aug 2021, 1:48pm
Another few years ago - a different guy advised the small assembled company in the café (sheltering from the rain) that a human free-falling from an aeroplane would reach a terminal velocity of no more than about 120mph - the 'apparent' low figure was due to the friction of air-resistance.
Probably the same knob :lol:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

JohnW wrote: 4 Aug 2021, 1:48pm
Another few years ago - a different guy advised the small assembled company in the café (sheltering from the rain) that a human free-falling from an aeroplane would reach a terminal velocity of no more than about 120mph - the 'apparent' low figure was due to the friction of air-resistance. (I take no responsibility for the accuracy or otherwise of that figure.)

A response was something along the lines of : ".....nay, I've gone more'n that freewheelin' dahn Fleet Moss.....".

(To be honest,that didn't take place today - it made me laugh today because I've just remembered it)
What do you each think is the terminal velocity of a human falling at low altitude?

Thanks

Jonathan
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

I believe wing suit jumpers have gone well in excess of 120mph.In fact having just checked it was 246mph in 2017!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sure, but of course I wasn't thinking of someone wearing a wing suit... just the traditional attire for falling out of an aircraft...

Jonathan
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

833mph in 2012.
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

120mph is laying flat (standard)free falling.
Head pointed down arms by your side you can reach 180mph.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

This is getting like the table tennis ball bouncing on a moving train -- I ended up explaining the Clark orbit to a mechanical engineer to help him understand the forces on the ball.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Chatted about this in physics at school ..................

Stand on the roof of a train and fire a pistol towards the rear.
Train travelling at the muzzle velocity of the pistol.
Theoretical of course.

A person standing on the rail-side would see the bullet fall to the ground vertically.
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

Maillot Rouge wrote: 4 Aug 2021, 3:53pm 833mph in 2012.
Faster than the speed of sound? :?
Explain please.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Mick F wrote: 4 Aug 2021, 4:59pm Chatted about this in physics at school ..................

Stand on the roof of a train and fire a pistol towards the rear.
Train travelling at the muzzle velocity of the pistol.
Theoretical of course.

A person standing on the rail-side would see the bullet fall to the ground vertically.
At first I thought it would fall in a curve running in the direction of the train. The bullet reduces speed as it falls. But then again, you are right because the speed reduction would only occur because of air friction and as it is not pushing against the air there is no friction so it just falls.....unless the air is being dragged by the train, which it will, to a certain extent.....so...
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ah but ............

The bullet leaves the muzzle at "muzzle velocity" and it would still do that, but the gun will be the one that is moving at muzzle velocity. The bullet would be stationary and as such, fall directly downwards as it would have zero lateral speed.
Mick F. Cornwall