What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
GayUnicorn

Re: What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Post by GayUnicorn »

Zootropolis Disney film, bit of sillyness
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi MickF, I say keel haul the beggars who dispute your word! Land lubbers.
Some folk don't even realise that medals are worn in a different form in the Royal Navy, the "Senior Service" must surely have the last word -even if it is "Abandon Ship"! :lol: MM
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What has made me laugh today?
Hearing the news this morning and how England/Scotland had a no-score draw. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

You didn't miss anything mick f. Still, it was far more entertaining than listening to a clock tick 5,400 times!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

My knowledge of Royal Navy practice is extremely limited - derived solely from a 6-month spell in the CCF at school. So of course I bow to Mick's superior knowledge.

However, I do recall learning that a RN salute is different to that performed in the Army. In the Navy the palm is held horizontal rather than facing forwards. Am I right? And apparently it was to conceal the fact that the sailor's hands were often dirty from scrubbing decks and ships timbers.... :)
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The RN salute is with the fingers and thumb in a straight line and held against the side of the forehead with the hand slightly tipped forwards. Shortest way up, and shortest way down. The instructors always told us to stroke your chest (or a less savoury word!) No wobble/waggle, just smartly and accurately. Dwell a pause of two marching paces at the salute. RN marches at 116 paces to the minute.

If saluting a senior officer, the junior remains at the salute until the senior ends his return salute.

Found this :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6vG6CcsCa4

As for standing for the National Anthem, it is usually done in the open air on the upped deck or ashore, so in that case standing to attention is mandatory.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Down in sainsburys today -- they had a nice colour sign saying "Argos Supports LGBT+ "

The wife says to me is that a new type of tv?
I am here. Where are you?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not me, but Mr Mick F was laughing her socks off this morning.

I'd been logging the eucalyptus and came in wearing my overalls, and she burst out laughing because I was "emanating eucalyptus"!! :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

hi MickF, Does it help clear your sinuses? :wink: MM
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Mick F wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 4:15pm The RN salute is with the fingers and thumb in a straight line and held against the side of the forehead with the hand slightly tipped forwards. Shortest way up, and shortest way down. The instructors always told us to stroke your chest (or a less savoury word!) No wobble/waggle, just smartly and accurately. Dwell a pause of two marching paces at the salute. RN marches at 120 paces to the minute.

If saluting a senior officer, the junior remains at the salute until the senior ends his return salute.

Found this :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6vG6CcsCa4

As for standing for the National Anthem, it is usually done in the open air on the upped deck or ashore, so in that case standing to attention is mandatory.
Our history master (ex-RN rating, WW2) described army vs. RN salutes as "bounce off the biceps vs look out to sea". I've always had the idea that the RN salute was derived from grasping the front peak of a fore-&-aft bicorne hat prior to doffing it.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Audax67 wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 4:58pm Our history master (ex-RN rating, WW2) described army vs. RN salutes as "bounce off the biceps vs look out to sea". I've always had the idea that the RN salute was derived from grasping the front peak of a fore-&-aft bicorne hat prior to doffing it.
Sets me wondering about Napoleon, who famously always wore his bicorne side-to-side. Oh well, I suppose he never doffed his hat to anyone....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Still in the RN subject ...........................

We were in the Queen's Head earlier this afternoon, and Mrs Mick F (as a smoker) went outside. There, was a chap ex Royal Marines whom me and him served in HMS Gurkha in the early/mid 1970s. He and I remember deployments to the West Indies.

Mrs Mick F was outside chatting to him, and he was described by Mrs Mick F when she came back in, as "swinging the lamp".

ie talking about life at sea and sea-stories.

Not an expression I've used in many a long year, but Mrs Mick knows it well as she has been a Naval Wife ....... we've been married for nearly 50years.

Sorry, I often swing the lamp! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

661-Pete wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 5:37pm
Audax67 wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 4:58pm Our history master (ex-RN rating, WW2) described army vs. RN salutes as "bounce off the biceps vs look out to sea". I've always had the idea that the RN salute was derived from grasping the front peak of a fore-&-aft bicorne hat prior to doffing it.
Sets me wondering about Napoleon, who famously always wore his bicorne side-to-side. Oh well, I suppose he never doffed his hat to anyone....
I don't think Napoleon had anyone around to tell him he was doing it wrong.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Mick F wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 6:01pm Sorry, I often swing the lamp! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Keep 'er swinging, Mick!
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

mattheus wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 4:10pm
661-Pete wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 5:37pm
I don't think Napoleon had anyone around to tell him he was doing it wrong.
When you think about it, they were all circular wide-brimmed hats with the brim folded up in different ways. I suppose they were pinned or sewn in position, otherwise they'd have flopped down again when it rained.

- My Lord, the Admiral is signalling us to break off the action
- Really? I cannot see the signal - my hat's gone all floppy and it's over my eyes.