What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Post by Mick F »

Sea story alert.
Down South in 1982.

We had a defect on the warning button on the upper deck just behind the main gun. Every now and again, the Chemical Warfare alarm would go off when firing to port or starboard. We in the weapons engineering department knew about this, but we were awaiting spares to fix it properly.

One evening whilst bombarding the Argentinians, the CW alarm sounded. We in the operations room knew it was a false alarm, the captain on the bridge knew too.

Some poor sods down aft in the engineering control centre didn't, so all donned their respirators. Except one young lad walked out into the main passageway (without his respirator) and sniffed deeply, and then retorted, "I can't smell anything!"

He never lived that down, and the whole ship giggled about it for a few days. :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

The canary :lol:
I am here. Where are you?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mick F wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 9:08am Some poor sods down aft in the engineering control centre didn't, so all donned their respirators. Except one young lad walked out into the main passageway (without his respirator) and sniffed deeply, and then retorted, "I can't smell anything!"
Was his name 'Damien' by any chance? :twisted: :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Who's this in the Southern Atlantic on the way towards Accession Island and St Helena way back in 1971?
I'll let you all guess. :lol: :lol:
Guess Who.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Being at home recovering from the bad off -- watching daytime tv

Bez from The Happy Mondays cheating on Bargain Hunt. :lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/ ... nt-special
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Mick F, did you ever sail to those Russian waters that are in the news at the moment?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No, not into the Black Sea, no.

Visited Corfu once back in 1981whist in HMS Ambuscade when Albania was still Communist and under the Soviet Bloc influence. The narrow channel we had to transit between Corfu and the Albanian sea territory was a difficult one.

Everyone on the bridge had binoculars scanning the coast, and the weapon systems were at heightened readiness.
I was the senior maintainer of the computerised weapon system.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Sounds scary stuff Mick F, did any of your computers ever have a hissy fit and not work properly?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mick F wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 9:21am No, not into the Black Sea, no.

Visited Corfu once back in 1981whist in HMS Ambuscade when Albania was still Communist and under the Soviet Bloc influence. The narrow channel we had to transit between Corfu and the Albanian sea territory was a difficult one.

Everyone on the bridge had binoculars scanning the coast, and the weapon systems were at heightened readiness.
I was the senior maintainer of the computerised weapon system.
Well I've been though it on a Minoan Lines ferry and people were swimming in the on board pool and drinking at the bars.
I remember a guy had a hammock strung up on deck too, he looked laid back!!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Laughed out loud yesterday early afternoon at the pub.
Four of we (men) customers chatting about the weather and how it's rather unpredictable.

Landlord said, "The weather is like a woman!"

Landlady out the back shouted, "I heard that!"
The lady chef came out and glared at us.

:lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Matt Hancock proves,once again,that they are above the rules they set and that true to form he's a typical Tory and that Boris Johnson says he's apologised so he accepts it and the matter is closed :lol:
Not funny at all but it still made me laugh.
What a (bad) joke this government is.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

philvantwo wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 8:05am Mick F, did you ever sail to those Russian waters that are in the news at the moment?
I think you mean Ukrainian waters. Russia annexed Crimea in 2014 but is still internationally recognized as being part of Ukraine.
Richard M
Cardiff
RickH

Post by RickH »

philvantwo wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 7:29pm Sounds scary stuff Mick F, did any of your computers ever have a hissy fit and not work properly?
I used to regularly visit a computer/tech website called The Register. It amused me that the RN were planning to implement a hardened version of Windows. It got dubbed Windows for Warships after the, then current, Windows for Workgroups. Here's a link from around then (only chosen as it was the first result from The Register that came up in a search for "Windows for Warships") - https://www.theregister.com/2007/02/26/ ... es_at_sea/
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

All the Memes and videos doing the rounds about Matt Hancock.There's some belters :lol:

Jonathan Pie's take on it is brilliant.I can't put the video up on here for obvious reasons but Google it if you're not easily offended :mrgreen:
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Hellhound wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 12:30pm All the Memes and videos doing the rounds about Matt Hancock.There's some belters :lol:

Jonathan Pie's take on it is brilliant.I can't put the video up on here for obvious reasons but Google it if you're not easily offended :mrgreen:
That's just a foul mouthed rant -- there's no effort to make it the slightest bit funny when the opportunity was handed to pie on a plate ( sorry )

We know Handoncock is no good but then his boss is a bad un too Boris is absolutely useless and has no morals whatsoever.

I've had a 2.5 % pay rise this year for doing exactly the same job I've done last year with little risk. What has Boris attempted to award the front line nurses, who've had a year of hell and that saved his life?

There's plenty of opportunity to at least get a few jokes in.