What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 4:03pm :lol: :lol:

Said this before ........... tourists (emmets) go to the beaches and the sea-side.
They don't go to Cornwall internally other than passing through on the A39, A38, and A30.
But they do bring in the money with them.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No they don't.
They spend their money in the coast resorts.
Internally, Cornwall is a poor place.
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Mick F wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 4:03pm :lol: :lol:

Said this before ........... tourists (emmets) go to the beaches and the sea-side.
They don't go to Cornwall internally other than passing through on the A39, A38, and A30.
Looked up emmet: an ant. Very nice. Tourists are also grockles, apparently, which raised the hackles of a Burnham-on-Sea councillor: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news ... side-town/ (No, I don't read the Bellygrab, but Google does).

Robert Emmet was the last man sentenced to be hanged, drawn and quartered in the UK - something to think on when you see the unwashed hordes treating your county as a sideshow.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Mick F wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 7:12am No they don't.
We rarely visit the Coast anywhere in the UK.OK it's nice but not really our thing.We prefer it inland.
It's funny to me that folk stand on a beach and say 'wow look at that view'.Once you get past the surf it's just sea and sky!
Now if they were to take a boat a few hundred yards out and look back inland they'd get a proper view 8)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep.
Spot on.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Internal Cornwall is poor because it's out on a limb a long way from anything really so industry suffers as a result.
Tourists do bring in money but only spend where they visit,that stands to reason.
If you think Cornwal is poor now,IMHO it'll get worse when the EU grant money for poorer areas of the UK dries up.
I'm pretty damn sure the Tories won't fill the gap left.
Last edited by reohn2 on 5 Sep 2021, 11:14am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Hellhound wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 10:40am
We rarely visit the Coast anywhere in the UK.OK it's nice but not really our thing.We prefer it inland.
It's funny to me that folk stand on a beach and say 'wow look at that view'.Once you get past the surf it's just sea and sky!
Now if they were to take a boat a few hundred yards out and look back inland they'd get a proper view 8)
People don't just go to the coast to look out to sea,they go surfing,sailing,swimming and relaxing on the beach,none of which may be your thing but diffent people have different ideas of what an enjoyable holiday is,it takes all sort to make a world!

MickF talks of tourists as if they're a curse but Cornwall and quite a few other places would be much poorer without them,would he prefer factories?
Some folk don't know when they're well off IMO.I live 1/2 amile from the A580 Liverpool to Manchester trunk road and 2miles from J23 M6,I could moan about how built up it all is but in an hour's drive I can be in the Yorkshire Dales or North Wales National parks or the Peak District Nat Park or The Lake District a 30minute drive gets to delightful Southport,Lytham,40mins to Arnside and Silverdale,etc,etc.
Count yer blessings chaps,they'll be fewer as time goes on with the rabble currently running the country!
W H Auden
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Audax67 wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 10:29am Robert Emmet was the last man sentenced to be hanged, drawn and quartered in the UK - something to think on when you see the unwashed hordes treating your county as a sideshow.
Careful, it's been discussed earlier in this thread and I wrote a post about a Dylan song called 'The Death of Emmett Till' based on a - horrible - true story. Vorpal quite justifiably deleted it and other follow-up posts, presumably because they had no place in a thread entitled 'What Has Made You Laugh Today'. Quite right too! :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

reohn2 wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 11:04am MickF talks of tourists as if they're a curse but Cornwall and quite a few other places would be much poorer without them,would he prefer factories?
Tourists are not a curse.
I never said anything of the sort.

They pass through to the tourists resorts, never stopping. M5/A30 is the main route. The spend their monies in a narrow strip of coastline.

Factories?
Yes please. We need jobs. Not me, I'm retired, but all four of us in our family have and had jobs here.
The possibility of a lithium mine and the opening up a tin mine or two, is great.
Tourists spend their money on the coasts. The people there are doing very well out of it, but no-one else is.

The EU Objective One funding was welcome somewhere in Cornwall, but we've seen no evidence of it.
By all accounts, the Tories will be match-funding it, but I doubt we'll see much of that either.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 3:12pm The EU Objective One funding was welcome somewhere in Cornwall, but we've seen no evidence of it.
"Exactly what the EU has funded in Cornwall"
"As Brexit drags on we look at where all the billions of pounds Cornwall has received from the EU has gone"
https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornw ... ll-2697596

Mick F wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 3:12pm By all accounts, the Tories will be match-funding it, but I doubt we'll see much of that either.
Do you mean matching the EU funding, or central government matching endogenous funding? Have you got a source for that matched funding, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

kylecycler wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 1:26pm
Audax67 wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 10:29am Robert Emmet was the last man sentenced to be hanged, drawn and quartered in the UK - something to think on when you see the unwashed hordes treating your county as a sideshow.
Careful, it's been discussed earlier in this thread and I wrote a post about a Dylan song called 'The Death of Emmett Till' based on a - horrible - true story. Vorpal quite justifiably deleted it and other follow-up posts, presumably because they had no place in a thread entitled 'What Has Made You Laugh Today'. Quite right too! :lol:
Oh well. I was ticked off on FB the other day for making a comment that included the figure 7.62 and a reference to political re-education. That made me laugh.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 3:12pm
reohn2 wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 11:04am MickF talks of tourists as if they're a curse but Cornwall and quite a few other places would be much poorer without them,would he prefer factories?
You've continually termed tourists as ants(emmets),Ants are regarded as pests generally.
They pass through to the tourists resorts, never stopping. M5/A30 is the main route. The spend their monies in a narrow strip of coastline
They spend their money where they will,the fact that that doesn't suit your idea of where you think they should spend their money is your problem not theirs.
Factories?
Yes please. We need jobs. Not me, I'm retired, but all four of us in our family have and had jobs here.
The possibility of a lithium mine and the opening up a tin mine or two, is great.
But you're out on a literal limb and not central to anything,that's why there's no industry.
I sincerly hope the Lithium mining takes off and provides Cornish people ith work and prosperity
Tourists spend their money on the coasts. The people there are doing very well out of it, but no-one else is
It's the nature of tourism as I'm sure you know,when you go to Benidorm it's the same story,ask a Spaniard who lives inland from the resorts.
The EU Objective One funding was welcome somewhere in Cornwall, but we've seen no evidence of it.
By all accounts, the Tories will be match-funding it, but I doubt we'll see much of that either.
You personally in your small part of Cornwall may not have seen much of EU funding but other places most certainly have.
As for the Tories they're are full of empty promises one of them was Brexit and it's many advantages for the UK,fat chance,as we're now finding out!
There are many other promises we'll never see.....
Last edited by reohn2 on 5 Sep 2021, 6:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
rjb

Post by rjb »

"They pass through to the tourists resorts, never stopping. M5/A30 is the main route. The spend their monies in a narrow strip of coastline."

That's after they have been robbed at the Jamaica Inn at Bolventor. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Mick F wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 3:12pm

They pass through to the tourists resorts, never stopping. M5/A30 is the main route. The spend their monies in a narrow strip of coastline.

Factories?
Tourists spend their money on the coasts. The people there are doing very well out of it, but no-one else is.

I'd rather have the little towns and villages inland. Much more interesting.

We live by the sea and have magnificent proper sandy beaches, I never visit.
Tourists can keep the coastline.
I am here. Where are you?
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Spotted next to a timber yard on a ride yesterday.
P1140876.JPG
Hence the phrase; 'I felt a bit of a plank'
Nu-Fogey