The beginning of the end ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Audax67

Re: The beginning of the end ?

Post by Audax67 »

Hobbs1951 wrote:Is this part of the fantastic trading arrangement we're to have with the USA - we sell them our Masterpieces*, we get their **** chicken ?

John.

*btw, the family silver was sold years ago (by Thatcher's gov't).

Ahem. Look up the Miles M52 and that unscrupulous Tory Clem Atlee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_M.52
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Audax67 wrote:
Ahem. Look up the Miles M52 and that unscrupulous Tory Clem Atlee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_M.52

You've either missed my point or deliberately ignoring it...I lament the selling off of the: Georgian silver, the fine furniture and the masterpieces (to paraphrase Macmillan) by ANY government - whatever the colour.

Understand ?

John.

N.B I think you've also missed your own point; the M52 wasn't strictly speaking sold to the USA, the USA reneged on what was suppose to be a joint development/research sharing agreement.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Transporting meat from NZ is crazy*, we have enough sheep here

* it should be uneconomic because of transport costs

Seasonality is part of the reason, their sheep lamb at a different time to ours. There is a quota for lamb imports into the EU so technically there could be a restriction of NZ lamb into the UK, it hasn't happened since 2011 though. Certainly under any deal now that quota may be abolished.

I have to bring your Welshness into question, your sheep knowledge is dire! :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Transporting meat from NZ is crazy*, we have enough sheep here

Seasonality is part of the reason, their sheep lamb at a different time to ours. There is a quota for lamb imports into the EU so technically there could be a restriction of NZ lamb into the UK, it hasn't happened since 2011 though. Certainly under any deal now that quota may be abolished.

I have to bring your Welshness into question, your sheep knowledge is dire! :wink:

I am only half Welsh :wink:
No need for lamb/mutton year round, what did people eat before 'globalisation'? And how did the sheep get to NZ, or were there some already there when the country was "discovered"?
Hope you know enough to answer :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

And what about wool?

Likewise of course :wink:

No one I know of in Blightedland keeps Merino sheep. (I wonder why not) ? A nice cycling jersey made of wool from the Swaledale will, I feel, not be up to the mark as it may result in more scratching than cycling.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:I have to bring your Welshness into question, your sheep knowledge is dire! :wink:

No need for lamb/mutton year round, what did people eat before 'globalisation'? And how did the sheep get to NZ, or were there some already there when the country was "discovered"?

Of course all meat was far more of a luxury for the ordinary person, and globalisation has changed our eating habits. But did you know the Romans introduced the garden leek. Obviously globalisation at its worst!
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cugel wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
And what about wool?

No one I know of in Blightedland keeps Merino sheep. (I wonder why not) ? A nice cycling jersey made of wool from the Swaledale will, I feel, not be up to the mark as it may result in more scratching than cycling.

Cugel
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cugel wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
And what about wool?

Cugel

Go read Farmers Weekly. More good practicality, less cod philosophy. :D
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

Did any one mention the junior elephant in the room?

Boris Johnson was a US Citizen up until he renounced it two years ago. Born and bred American in New York city
Only renounced it because of tax difficulties with the IRS, oh and the fact that as a US citizen he'd have to pay tax on the £750,000 apartment he sold in London in 2017.

Now imagine the furore if he'd renounced his Russian citizenship... :lol:

Makes you think, doesn't it...
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:I have to bring your Welshness into question, your sheep knowledge is dire! :wink:

Of course all meat was far more of a luxury for the ordinary person, and globalisation has changed our eating habits. But did you know the Romans introduced the garden leek. Obviously globalisation at its worst!

Our national vegetable! That is quite different mind, they brought a few plants or seeds, now Welsh leeks are grown and sold and eaten in the same place, not transported thousands of kilometres on refrigerated ships :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Cugel wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Likewise of course :wink:

Cugel

Go read Farmers Weekly. More good practicality, less cod philosophy. :D

I have never met a philosophical cod. Mind, all those I meet are dead and so mute. Perhaps they have enlightening things to burble to we humans. One suggestion might be to stop the over-fishing as you can't fish a shoal of no-cod. We will never know.

As to Farmers Weekly - I have given up on all newspap, even New Scientist. What will Farmers Weekly tell me about merino sheep? Perhaps you could offer a precis?

Cugel, preparing the syllabus for a Wimmins Inst woodworking experiences in me shed, which will not include forestry (the syllabus, not the shed, which can hold at least part of a tree).
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes