New iPhone

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: New iPhone

Post by Mick F »

The Settings/Battery app said 100% so I took that as correct. Just checked Mrs Mick Fs, and I was mistaken. :oops:
It says the battery CHARGE level. :oops:
It also says that the phone can't assess the battery health and to take it to an Apple service agent for assessment.

I replaced the battery in my previous iPhone 5c not long before I put it in the washing machine and wrecked it. :lol:
I did the same with a Samsung Galaxy some months before!

You need a Pentalobe screwdriver and a sucker, and the glass lifts off to reveal the battery. Disconnect it, pull some tabs, and the battery lifts out.
Replacement is the opposite. I bought the battery and tools off eBay cheaply enough, and the job took ten minutes. I downloaded an app for it that told me the battery health. Perhaps an app still exists for all iPhones.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
iPhone 6s.
The serial number denotes the batch of the battery.
A particular batch of batteries are sub standard.
When I said replace repair et cetera, I mean under warranty through Apple.
all this pessimism about batteries.
The old sony Ericsson my other mobile has replaceable lithium iron batts, will that satisfy you.
Have several batteries for my sony so i could swap on a long ride, only one out of five have been ditched over ten years and two phones?

There are bargains to be had on eBay on new boxed iPhones.
Both the SE and the 6S ceased production end of 2018, but still accept latest software updates.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

If its in the right serial number series you can get a brand new battery fitted at the Apple store for 6 for free. Not sure it was as much a battery issue, as a hardware and software issue degrading the battery over time.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_6S

"Hardware issues[edit]
Unexpected battery shutdowns[edit]
In November 2016, Apple announced that a "very small number" of iPhone 6S devices manufactured between September and October 2015 have faulty batteries that unexpectedly shut down. While Apple noted that the battery problems were "not a safety issue", it announced a battery replacement program for affected devices. Customers with affected devices, which span "a limited serial number range", were able to check their device's serial number on Apple's website, and, if affected, receive a battery replacement free of charge at Apple Stores or authorized Apple Service Providers.[62][63][64]

In December 2016, Apple revealed new details about the issue, stating that the affected devices contained a "battery component that was exposed to controlled ambient air longer than it should have been before being assembled into battery packs".[65][66] "
Attachments
2019-12-22_141526.jpg
Bez

Post by Bez »

Mrs Mick F bought one on eBay. £149.99 64Gb

You should shop around… I picked up a 128GB 7 on a Giffgaff Black Friday deal for £169, plus (in theory at least) £50 cashback :) The 7 seems like the sweet spot for iPhone cheapskates at the moment. The price jump up to the 8 is quite considerable.

Did you know that a iphone se is a 6 in a 5 package! IIRC it out performs the 6 in several fields?

It'll outperform the 6 because it's a 6S inside, not a 6 ;) It has a lesser front-facing camera and no 3D touch but in all other respects is a 6S.

I still like my SE best. Nice size, usable one-handed, and easy not to drop. I'll probably sell the 7 and wait to see if the SE2 ever materialises.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
IIRC the SEII is a larger case.
Most like SE because you can put it in your pocket.

", but described 3D Touch as "just a glorified vibrator" and "no good ... you still don't know quite what's going to happen until you try it". :lol:

https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/iphone-se/
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Downloaded an app to my iPhone 5c.
Dunno how old the phone is, as I bought it secondhand in CEX in Plymouth.
How do you find out the age of your iPhone?

The app is called Battery Life.
https://www.batterylifeapp.com

It reports that it's only 1% Battery Wear Level.
Sounds ok to me.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bez

Post by Bez »

IIRC the SEII is a larger case.

Oh, there have been all sorts of rumours about an SE2 for years now. I'll not believe anything till I see it. I suspect a lot will hinge on what Apple thinks people value most about the SE: the lower price or the smaller size. So I'd expect either a 7/8-sized form factor at a lower price, or a smaller form factor with a full-frame screen and Face ID, but who knows until it appears—if it does.

Personally all I want is waterproofing, better battery life and a better camera, and I'd pay more for all that in an SE-sized phone.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:Downloaded an app to my iPhone 5c.
Dunno how old the phone is, as I bought it secondhand in CEX in Plymouth.
How do you find out the age of your iPhone?

The app is called Battery Life.
https://www.batterylifeapp.com

It reports that it's only 1% Battery Wear Level.
Sounds ok to me.

1% left? or 1% amount of wear so 99% left? As you seem to conclude before, an app cant tell the health of a battery, have to take it to an Apple store ( unless as I said you do a practical test like run a video repeated and see how many hours before it closes down)

I wouldnt buy any electronics from CEX, they have no experts to assess things, just a load of franchises? I have visited many, many stores in London ( to get blu rays only, one advantage of a Freedom Pass) and been there when customers bring back their faulty cameras/phones etc and given the run around.

I have bought "new" batteries for my windows phone ( from Ebay) that a similar app says they are 100% new but when I do a practical test I get say 8hrs 10 minutes when I should get eg 10.5 hrs doing a similar test from reviews. Often my results are worse. ( but then the batterys are cheap, about £4)
Syd

Post by Syd »

The battery health option for iPhones came about in ios 11.3

Settings >> Battery >> Battery Health
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Syd wrote:The battery health option for iPhones came about in ios 11.3

Settings >> Battery >> Battery Health

https://www.howtogeek.com/254739/how-to-check-your-iphones-battery-health/

so how much does it cost to replace a battery? I get the impression they only charge you for the battery?

I suspect any app other than Apples own will not give the true picture as it needs to dig down into the battery ?
Bez

Post by Bez »

mercalia wrote:so how much does it cost to replace a battery?

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/iphone/ ... tery-power
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mercalia wrote:1% left? or 1% amount of wear so 99% left?
1% wear ...........99% good.

The issue is, that Apple don't do an app, but 3rd party stuff is out there in the App Store.
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Under a tenner for DiY but I’m sure, like Glasgow, everywhere has one of these :D
AA60A52C-FA69-4869-808D-CEB05CF70A8E.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

As I said before, the battery change I did DIY took ten minutes.

The battery and tools bought off the internet somewhere. Somehow I don't think it was eBay, but some specific site for iPhone batteries.

Anyone could do it. Two Pentalobe screws and a sucker to pull the screen up, and you're in.
Mick F. Cornwall