New iPhone

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

New iPhone

Post by Mick F »

Mrs Mick F has an iPhone 5c and it was getting full. Only 4Gb of space. The thing became sluggish she had so much stuff on it.
We saw a friend recently with an iPhone 6s and we were impressed by it, so Mrs Mick F bought one on eBay. £149.99 64Gb.

I also have an iPhone5c and was a bit jealous, so I went on eBay and I bought an iPhone 6s 64Gb too. :D
Same price, different colour.

The difference is faaaantastic. :D
The screen is brighter and sharper, the device is lightning fast, and the camera almost as good a a proper digital camera.
The iPhone 5c is an antique in comparison, so what the latest phones are like I have no idea, but no doubt I would be mighty impressed.

We'll keep both our old ones for now. Mine is unlocked, but her's is locked to Vodafone. Been reliable bits of kit, but had their day.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: New iPhone

Post by Mick F »

Update ....... and it's not a good update. :cry:

Just checking and comparing her's and mine.
Mine only arrived yesterday afternoon, so I'm still fiddling and fettling.

Found out that mine is just a plain iPhone 6 and not a 6s. Her's is at software ios 13.3 where mine is only at ios 12.4 and will go no further.
Printed out a return note. It's going back as a "wrong item sent" as the thing was ordered - and described - as an iPhone 6s.

Boo Hoo. :cry: :cry:
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Did you know that a iphone se is a 6 in a 5 package!
IIRC it out performs the 6 in several fields?
64 gb too......oh well back luck :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I am always puzzled by updates.
I use an old iphone4 !! OS 7!!
It still works on most sites ok.
I was given it a few years ago.

I don't use many installed apps anyway they are now mostly updated and will not load.
I just use Safari. Cookies are easy to block and delete if I so choose.
Email works well.
Super useful screenshot works well.
Music never a problem. Video is ok.
Some media sites don't work to well- mostly home pages -an actual link usually loads ok.

It has a camera that in poor light conditions is rather grainy but sometimes in good light takes surprisingly good pics.
It allows the downloading of those pics direct from internal storage to a selected file/ drive without need for intermediate software.

I don't find being full slows it down- if it's full it tells me and I delete a few old pics!

The phone itself is great. Facetime can't be used on cellular networks, only on wifi, but then with a "inclusive deal" in place data and calls are super reasonable - right across Europe and elsewhere.

The battery is well knackered but I use a little additional power pack if I go out in the cold!

Actually I have been thinking of (re!)becoming a proper Luddite. If it breaks one day maybe I simply won't replace it. And go native. :shock: :shock:
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I’m on the X at the moment. It’s my phone, my computer, and everything else I need. I’ve also got a series 5 Apple Watch, which is astonishing. I used to be a bit on the fence with apple stuff, not anymore. As soon as apple release a 5G enabled phone, I shall be on it like a tramp on chips.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

IIRC we did try to suggest getting the 5C was a poor decision.
I have a SE it fits in my pocket easier.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I would NEVER buy an expensive 2nd hand phone ( more than £25) where the battery hasnt been replaced as you dont know how worn out the battery is. How old is the 6 now? if its more than 2 years old the battery will probably be half worn out or more ( thats why some people sell on their old phones?) My Windows Lumia 640 cost me £20 a few £ for postage and I can replace the battery for about £4 and works well. ( and dont say it no longer supported [ was of July this year, when it got its last monthly update as you do with Microsoft ] as how many Androids are out there that havent received an update in years?)
Last edited by mercalia on 21 Dec 2019, 5:45pm, edited 2 times in total.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Mick F wrote:The difference is faaaantastic. :D
The screen is brighter and sharper, the device is lightning fast, and the camera almost as good a a proper digital camera.
The iPhone 5c is an antique in comparison, so what the latest phones are like I have no idea, but no doubt I would be mighty impressed.

I have the XR 256GB.The difference between that and a 7s is massive.I had a 6S...about 4 years ago.It's in a cupboard as a back up if my XR or sons 7S 128GB fails......it's soooooooo old and out of date though :lol:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

mercalia wrote:I would NEVER buy an expensive 2nd hand phone ( more than £25) where the battery hasnt been replaced as you dont know how worn out the battery is. How old is the 6 now? if its more than 2 years old the battery will probably be half worn out or more ( thats why some people sell on their old phones?) My Windows Lumia 640 cost me £20 a few £ for postage and I can replace the battery for about £4 and works well. ( and dont say it no longer supported [ was of July this year, when it got its last monthly update as you do with Microsoft ] as how many Androids are out there that havent received an update in years?)

You can see the health of your battery. This b is mine and I bought it second hand 2 1/2 yrs ago.
It’s in the OS
Attachments
A7AD196D-7978-45E7-AAF0-57171258F456.png
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Paulatic wrote:
mercalia wrote:I would NEVER buy an expensive 2nd hand phone ( more than £25) where the battery hasnt been replaced as you dont know how worn out the battery is. How old is the 6 now? if its more than 2 years old the battery will probably be half worn out or more ( thats why some people sell on their old phones?) My Windows Lumia 640 cost me £20 a few £ for postage and I can replace the battery for about £4 and works well. ( and dont say it no longer supported [ was of July this year, when it got its last monthly update as you do with Microsoft ] as how many Androids are out there that havent received an update in years?)

You can see the health of your battery. This b is mine and I bought it second hand 2 1/2 yrs ago.
It’s in the OS

is that to be believed? I have an app for my windows phone that says the battery in my 2nd hand phone is nearly new. ( but it aint) The only way to test is to eg run a video on repeat and see how many hours you get before it closes down and compare that with test reports that have done the same I think.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Paulatic wrote:You can see the health of your battery.
Mine was showing 100% coz I checked.

Now turned off and wiped. I'll be putting in a Jiffy bag and posting it back.
eBay are excellent at returns, as you print out a (paid and tracked) label and you are refunded when the seller receives it.

As for my iPhone 5c, it's back in use again. Main issue with it - like Mrs Mick Fs - is the lack of storage. Ours are 4Gb and mine has less than a Gb left even though I'm frugal at keeping stuff on the phone.

This is the one I bought - and now returning.
I didn't get a free cable, but I'm not complaining as we have quite a few of them.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-iPhone ... 4f0ea4243c
Gold, unlocked, 64Gb, Excellent condition.

I'm thinking about buying another from them and have my fingers crossed that it comes as a 6s.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

How often do you use the storage?

Depending on use and signal, using Cloud storage can be an answer

Alternatively look at something like the iAccess or iBridge by Leef.

The iAccess is older, but allows the use of Micro Sd cards, giving unlimited memory! I use this to backup photos and similar. The newer iBridge has fixed memory but allows access to both computer and iPhone

NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
When you're happy with your 6S Mick, or maybe before, check the serial number is not a model that needs the battery replacing and the apples repair scheme?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:
Paulatic wrote:You can see the health of your battery.
Mine was showing 100% coz I checked.

Now turned off and wiped. I'll be putting in a Jiffy bag and posting it back.
eBay are excellent at returns, as you print out a (paid and tracked) label and you are refunded when the seller receives it.

As for my iPhone 5c, it's back in use again. Main issue with it - like Mrs Mick Fs - is the lack of storage. Ours are 4Gb and mine has less than a Gb left even though I'm frugal at keeping stuff on the phone.

This is the one I bought - and now returning.
I didn't get a free cable, but I'm not complaining as we have quite a few of them.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-iPhone ... 4f0ea4243c
Gold, unlocked, 64Gb, Excellent condition.

I'm thinking about buying another from them and have my fingers crossed that it comes as a 6s.

How old ls the phone do you think? 4-5 years ( I dont know when they came out but I think the latest is a11, so a 6 is quite old?) and therefore can you realy trust the 100%?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
When you're happy with your 6S Mick, or maybe before, check the serial number is not a model that needs the battery replacing and the apples repair scheme?

what does that mean? just that the seriel number means its old with probably a worn out battery? I understand getting Apple to replace the battery isnt cheap?