Telling time on a watch with hands.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
User avatar
Syd
Posts: 269
Joined: 23 Sep 2018, 2:27pm

Telling time on a watch with hands.

Postby Syd » 26 Dec 2019, 8:34pm

Seeing my neighbour’s young son have difficulty telling the time on an analogue clock earlier today reminded me of a story in early December where it said over 20% of young adults have difficulty telling time on a clock with hands.

The vast majority of the clocks in my home, as well as all 29 of my wrist watches, have ‘hands’ (including my Garmin and Apple watches) as I prefer that way.

What is your preference and how do youngsters you know cope with traditional time pieces?

Oldjohnw
Posts: 2765
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Telling time on a watch with hands.

Postby Oldjohnw » 26 Dec 2019, 9:14pm

Syd wrote:Seeing my neighbour’s young son have difficulty telling the time on an analogue clock earlier today reminded me of a story in early December where it said over 20% of young adults have difficulty telling time on a clock with hands.

The vast majority of the clocks in my home, as well as all 29 of my wrist watches, have ‘hands’ (including my Garmin and Apple watches) as I prefer that way.

What is your preference and how do youngsters you know cope with traditional time pieces?


You mean you don't have a sun dial?
John

User avatar
Syd
Posts: 269
Joined: 23 Sep 2018, 2:27pm

Telling time on a watch with hands.

Postby Syd » 26 Dec 2019, 9:21pm

I’d love one but its of limited use at this time of year and a bit less portable.

User avatar
Cugel
Posts: 2948
Joined: 13 Nov 2017, 11:14am

Re: Telling time on a watch with hands.

Postby Cugel » 26 Dec 2019, 10:12pm

Syd wrote:Seeing my neighbour’s young son have difficulty telling the time on an analogue clock earlier today reminded me of a story in early December where it said over 20% of young adults have difficulty telling time on a clock with hands.

The vast majority of the clocks in my home, as well as all 29 of my wrist watches, have ‘hands’ (including my Garmin and Apple watches) as I prefer that way.

What is your preference and how do youngsters you know cope with traditional time pieces?


In 2003 I stooped wearing a watch or wanting to know the exact time. It's surprising what a difference it makes to spend most of your day only vaguely aware of the approximate time. Many activities become less frantic but more intense - done with a greater concentration on the activity with no desire to keep it to some arbitrary timetsble only possible when time is divided up into precise and tiny increments, which is what a watch does.

There are occasions when knowledge of exact time is important - catching a train or bus, going to a pre-arranged meeting. But for 99% of the day, a vague knowledge of just the approximate time of day is enough.

Of course I yam a retired ole scrote who can do what he likes all day. You lads & lasses still tied with yer noses to a grindstone may find yourself entirely governed by gizmo now - not just the wrist watch but the portable pratley box, the fitness monitor, the Garmin, the .......

Cugel

PS 29 wristwatches? Does this not make it difficult to lift the arm to see the time? And what if the rascals disagree!?

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 3342
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: Telling time on a watch with hands.

Postby PDQ Mobile » 26 Dec 2019, 10:58pm

The late great Dave Allen explains it all!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NIXSnEyvtzg

User avatar
Syd
Posts: 269
Joined: 23 Sep 2018, 2:27pm

Re: Telling time on a watch with hands.

Postby Syd » 27 Dec 2019, 6:09am

Cugel wrote:
PS 29 wristwatches? Does this not make it difficult to lift the arm to see the time? And what if the rascals disagree!?

Can be difficult fitting them all along my arm

brynpoeth
Posts: 11927
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Telling time on a watch with hands.

Postby brynpoeth » 27 Dec 2019, 7:20am

What is the fascination, use, purpose of collecting so many watches?
(Or books, or cycles)
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "597"

User avatar
Syd
Posts: 269
Joined: 23 Sep 2018, 2:27pm

Re: Telling time on a watch with hands.

Postby Syd » 27 Dec 2019, 7:47am

brynpoeth wrote:What is the fascination, use, purpose of collecting so many watches?
(Or books, or cycles)

Different watches, like bikes, for different purposes. Eg a causal GMT watch for daily wear whilst on holiday and a dress version for evenings. Then there are different strap / bracelet: dial colours to coordinate. Simples

As for books. Really??!

Carlton green
Posts: 430
Joined: 22 Jun 2019, 12:27pm

Re: Telling time on a watch with hands.

Postby Carlton green » 27 Dec 2019, 7:55am

Syd wrote:
The vast majority of the clocks in my home, as well as all 29 of my wrist watches, have ‘hands’ (including my Garmin and Apple watches) as I prefer that way.

What is your preference ...



I by far prefer analogue watches and clocks (ie those with hands) to digital. To me it gives a more useful feel for time and places the minutes in a more useful context relative to the more important hour divisions of the day.

Sundials are great too in my estimation. I don’t want to be a slave to time and the Sundial just gives me an indication of roughly where I am in the day’s passage. Of course sometimes I do need to know the time accurately and a analogue display works well for that. Five to eleven gives a visual representation and means that I’ve five more minutes to go before I meet someone at eleven whereas the 10:55 digital display characters require unnecessary additional thought.

brynpoeth
Posts: 11927
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Telling time on a watch with hands.

Postby brynpoeth » 27 Dec 2019, 8:13am

I think digital is good, clockface too, I remember trying to learn to tell the time, the Big Hand is for the little minutes, the Small Hand is for the big hours :?
Syd wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:What is the fascination, use, purpose of collecting so many watches?
(Or books, or cycles)

Different watches, like bikes, for different purposes. Eg a causal GMT watch for daily wear whilst on holiday and a dress version for evenings. Then there are different strap / bracelet: dial colours to coordinate. Simples

As for books. Really??!

Right again, 29 watches fit in a suitcase, 29 books do not

Are watches becoming less popular? Most people have a PSO phone-shaped object now, no need for a watch
Whatabout wearing a watch on the right? Looks wrong somehow
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "597"

User avatar
Syd
Posts: 269
Joined: 23 Sep 2018, 2:27pm

Re: Telling time on a watch with hands.

Postby Syd » 27 Dec 2019, 8:40am

brynpoeth wrote:I think digital is good, clockface too, I remember trying to learn to tell the time, the Big Hand is for the little minutes, the Small Hand is for the big hours :?
Syd wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:What is the fascination, use, purpose of collecting so many watches?
(Or books, or cycles)

Different watches, like bikes, for different purposes. Eg a causal GMT watch for daily wear whilst on holiday and a dress version for evenings. Then there are different strap / bracelet: dial colours to coordinate. Simples

As for books. Really??!

Right again, 29 watches fit in a suitcase, 29 books do not

Are watches becoming less popular? Most people have a PSO phone-shaped object now, no need for a watch
Whatabout wearing a watch on the right? Looks wrong somehow

I wear my watches on the right (even have one with a crown on the left to make it more comfortable). Nothing to do with being left handed as I used to wear them on the left as a youngster.

Suffered an injury many years ago that resulted in a long scar in the left wrist making wearing watches uncomfortable on that side.

francovendee
Posts: 1156
Joined: 5 May 2009, 6:32am

Re: Telling time on a watch with hands.

Postby francovendee » 27 Dec 2019, 8:41am

One watch, digital from Decathlon 8 years ago, still on the original battery. Not bad for 7€ :D
Apart from woodworking tools I rarely buy anything until the old one is worn out. My wife say's I should draw the line with clothes!

reohn2
Posts: 37367
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Telling time on a watch with hands.

Postby reohn2 » 27 Dec 2019, 8:56am

Syd wrote:
Cugel wrote:
PS 29 wristwatches? Does this not make it difficult to lift the arm to see the time? And what if the rascals disagree!?

Can be difficult fitting them all along my arm

You're an Octopus and a I claim the £5 :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 47732
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Telling time on a watch with hands.

Postby Mick F » 27 Dec 2019, 9:19am

Shoelaces.
Loads of kids don't know how to do it because they have no need for them.

Velcro.
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
Cugel
Posts: 2948
Joined: 13 Nov 2017, 11:14am

Re: Telling time on a watch with hands.

Postby Cugel » 27 Dec 2019, 9:22am

Syd wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:What is the fascination, use, purpose of collecting so many watches?
(Or books, or cycles)

Different watches, like bikes, for different purposes. Eg a causal GMT watch for daily wear whilst on holiday and a dress version for evenings. Then there are different strap / bracelet: dial colours to coordinate. Simples

As for books. Really??!


There was a rumour that Bryn only has one book and also one 45 of the best tune. This is entirely untrue as he is in fact a book-addict in denial. Me too but without the denial. I don't even have one 45, though. I did keep a Beatles EP for quite a while, despite having nothing to play it on. It was the one with "Twist & Shout" on it.

Cugel, in the morning-time (I think).