Telling time on a watch with hands.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Syd

Telling time on a watch with hands.

Postby Syd » 20 Jan 2020, 11:10am

brynpoeth wrote:Whatabout Sean Kelly, or rather Festina watches, used to be his main sponsor

Festina are still a sponsor of cycling events. I have:-

An F16564 from the 100th Giro d’italia
An F16883/1 from the 100th Tour de France
And an F16819/3 from the Tour of Britain.

Syd

Re: Telling time on a watch with hands.

Postby Syd » 20 Jan 2020, 11:11am

mercalia wrote:how did the watch gets its name?

One account of the origin of the word "watch" is that it came from the Old English word woecce which meant "watchman", because it was used by town watchmen to keep track of their shifts.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 20 Jan 2020, 12:32pm

Syd wrote:
mercalia wrote:how did the watch gets its name?

One account of the origin of the word "watch" is that it came from the Old English word woecce which meant "watchman", because it was used by town watchmen to keep track of their shifts.

. We are familiar enough with the cry of the old night watchman with his bell: “Three o’clock, and all’s well.”

ambodach

Postby ambodach » 20 Jan 2020, 12:44pm

I had no watch for a few years but then inherited a Tommy Hilfiger which has hands and keeps accurate time. There was also a Swiss Railway watch which was weird and had a very strange dial. I discarded it but it is still probably lying around somewhere in the house. I now know what the time is anywhere I do not have my phone. What else is needed?

Syd

Postby Syd » 20 Jan 2020, 10:43pm

ambodach wrote:I had no watch for a few years but then inherited a Tommy Hilfiger which has hands and keeps accurate time. There was also a Swiss Railway watch which was weird and had a very strange dial. I discarded it but it is still probably lying around somewhere in the house. I now know what the time is anywhere I do not have my phone. What else is needed?

As far as strange dials go the Cartier ‘crash’ range certainly contributes a lot.

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 20 Jan 2020, 11:33pm

Syd wrote:
ambodach wrote:I had no watch for a few years but then inherited a Tommy Hilfiger which has hands and keeps accurate time. There was also a Swiss Railway watch which was weird and had a very strange dial. I discarded it but it is still probably lying around somewhere in the house. I now know what the time is anywhere I do not have my phone. What else is needed?

As far as strange dials go the Cartier ‘crash’ range certainly contributes a lot.

Yeah, well, the rider wouldn't have crashed and done that much damage to it if they'd been looking where they were going instead of looking at the time :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Syd

Postby Syd » 21 Jan 2020, 6:43am

JohnW wrote:
Syd wrote:

Yeah, well, the rider wouldn't have crashed and done that much damage to it if they'd been looking where they were going instead of looking at the time :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Surely the ringed field in the picture below is to avoid that?

Thought I would I prefer it to be analogue

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 21 Jan 2020, 7:23am

Slight diversion: I hate it when times eg bus timetable or the Holy Island safe crossing times use a 12 rather than a 24 hour clock. 12pm, for example, can be misleading or ever wrongly used.
John

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 21 Jan 2020, 10:14am

Syd wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Hi Syd :) , Would an "Onion" watch aPEEL to you? The price will make your eyes water! Can you lay hands on one? Time will tell. :lol: MM

This one’s a bargain at £42.90

There are plenty of watches on offer (mostly ladies' 'fashion' items) which don't have hour markings. Here is another example:
Even I, who as a product of the 1950s was taught to read analogue clocks perforce, would have difficulty telling the time on such a piece.

BTW, anyone else remember Jack de Manio, late of the Today programme, someone who appeared to be congenitally incapable of telling the time from an analogue clock? To the despair of many commuters? I can put down several late arrivals at school (and consequent punishments :( ) to his misdirection...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 21 Jan 2020, 10:18am

Syd wrote:I get round this by only wearing one at a time, synchronised with my neighbours sundial (or Alexa if it’s cloudy) and the remainder stay in their boxes.
I trust that you take account of the Equation of Time when doing that.... :wink:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 21 Jan 2020, 10:26am

Jack de Mario precisely :wink:
Should one trust someone who cannae tell the time to hold politrickians to account?
I do remember a well-paid presenter on r4 getting the time wrong, 'oh, get a watch yourself if you want to know the time', he bleated
This thread has sort of answered a question I had asked before:
'Why do female politicians look like birds of paradise while male politicians look like PSOs in uniform?'
'Because the latter can be identified by their timepieces' :wink:
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "597"

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 21 Jan 2020, 12:13pm

brynpoeth wrote:Jack de Mario precisely :wink:
No, Jack de Manio, I got it right first time. I remember him well, but perhaps your memory doesn't stretch as far as mine?

I used to listen to him quite a lot - I thought him an awfully nice guy, aside from the incorrect time checks! Far better than that egregious Humphrys bloke....

100%JR

Postby 100%JR » 21 Jan 2020, 12:23pm

Syd wrote:An F16883/1 from the 100th Tour de France

I have the same.Sadly I wore mine as my "everyday" watch and scratched the face/bezel in a crash :| I sent it to Festina last year and they fitted a complete new case 8) It's now in it's box 8)

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 21 Jan 2020, 12:59pm

Mick F wrote:Shoelaces.
Loads of kids don't know how to do it because they have no need for them.

Velcro.

Littlest cannot. He understands the concept, and can do it (slowly) after being shown a couple of times. But I bought him some shoes with laces last year and he did them up once or twice, then gave up. He was dragging the laces round, so (of course) tripped on them. What did he do then? Learn to do them up? Of course not! He just cut them off short enough not to trip over them :lol: I ended up getting some stretchy ones that don't have to be tied.

Mini V, on the other hand has prefered laced shoes since she was about 5, and would not ever let anyone else tie them for her. :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 21 Jan 2020, 1:10pm

Hi All :) , Is it "Time" to watch Spellbound again? The dream scene by Salvador Dali - Persistence of Memory, all those melted items, brilliant!
What other films have clocks or watches at the core? IGICB MM