Alasdair Gray is Dead

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Polisman
Posts: 644
Joined: 9 May 2019, 2:23pm

Alasdair Gray is Dead

Postby Polisman » 29 Dec 2019, 3:46pm

One of the great British novelists had shuffled off this mortal coil. I read Lanark when I was but a student and was blown away by it. This polymath artist was an incredible gift to the nation. I was fortunate enough to hear him at a recital of his works at a Sheffield arts Festival, after which he told us jokes and sang a libretto from quite a famous Italian opera, and all with a twinkle and smile.

He'll be sorely missed not only in his own country but In Britain. Will Self was a massive fan and described him as the 'Eminence Gris', his art works litter Scotland and beyond. And his literary output changed the very character of literature in the country. An internationalist and firm believer in Europe, as well as Scottish independence. What a sad loss.

Last edited by Polisman on 29 Dec 2019, 3:55pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mike Sales
Posts: 4476
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Alasdair Gray is Dead

Postby Mike Sales » 29 Dec 2019, 3:47pm

A great loss to Glasgow and the world.

Stradageek
Posts: 678
Joined: 17 Jan 2011, 1:07pm

Re: Alasdair Gray is Dead

Postby Stradageek » 29 Dec 2019, 4:38pm

Though Lanark was regarded as his best novel, my favourites are (in order) Something Leather, A History Maker and Poor Things.

With both him and Iain Banks now gone I find I read very little fiction.

mercalia
Posts: 12812
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Alasdair Gray is Dead

Postby mercalia » 29 Dec 2019, 4:40pm

Never heard of him but then not a great fan of fiction. Much over rated. I did a google and what suprised me he was also celebrated in the visual arts. Thats unusual?

When I meet my sister in London we inevitably end up in Waterstones ( at Trafalgar Sq ) and being assaulted by all those books I think all those trees. Few books are worthy of it. I did see one this Xmas that deserved to be printed a lovely choice of paper colour and illustrations

WP_20191222_15_51_34_Pro.jpg

loch eck steve
Posts: 283
Joined: 4 Oct 2015, 1:32pm
Location: Argyll

Re: Alasdair Gray is Dead

Postby loch eck steve » 29 Dec 2019, 8:49pm

A great man and a great loss

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 48241
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Alasdair Gray is Dead

Postby Mick F » 29 Dec 2019, 8:52pm

Never heard of him.
I wiki'd him to find out about him because of this thread.

Sorry, he means nothing to me, though we visited the People's Palace a few times when we lived up there in the 80's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alasdair_Gray
Mick F. Cornwall

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 12360
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Between the woods and the water

Re: Alasdair Gray is Dead

Postby Cyril Haearn » 30 Dec 2019, 7:44am

Have heard of him now, +1
I like to read obituaries but it is sad to learn of someone only after they passed on

There are plenty of other good Scotch authors
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son..
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on 49" fixed
We love safety cameras, we love life "1330"

Mike Sales
Posts: 4476
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Alasdair Gray is Dead

Postby Mike Sales » 30 Dec 2019, 9:07am

I recently reread Lanark. I found it like cycling uphill. Hard work but rewarding.

Most Scottish writers since he appeared have been affected by his writing.

mmcnay
Posts: 43
Joined: 15 Aug 2017, 10:10am

Re: Alasdair Gray is Dead

Postby mmcnay » 30 Dec 2019, 9:13am

Great writer. I've read quite a lot of his work, fiction and non-fiction.
1982, Janine is a masterpiece.

User avatar
georgew
Posts: 1523
Joined: 27 Jan 2007, 4:23pm

Re: Alasdair Gray is Dead

Postby georgew » 30 Dec 2019, 12:05pm

mercalia wrote:Never heard of him but then not a great fan of fiction. Much over rated. I did a google and what suprised me he was also celebrated in the visual arts. Thats unusual?

When I meet my sister in London we inevitably end up in Waterstones ( at Trafalgar Sq ) and being assaulted by all those books I think all those trees. Few books are worthy of it. I did see one this Xmas that deserved to be printed a lovely choice of paper colour and illustrations

WP_20191222_15_51_34_Pro.jpg



I have to agree with you......and the fact that you and others in this thread have never heard of him clearly means he wasn't much cop.....right?

I can weep if I think how much that guy could have achieved if he hadn't frittered his life away making up stories that weren't true and painting all those pictures of made-up things. Now if he'd applied himself and come up with a useful book on gas-fitting....I mean that would be useful. But no.....he wasted his life painting pictures and writing silly books and translating Italian classic works and all that rubbish instead.....I ask you. The man was obviously bright......so why not do something useful, like start up a small business or write in here advising us on our gears and suchlike?

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 12360
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Between the woods and the water

Re: Alasdair Gray is Dead

Postby Cyril Haearn » 30 Dec 2019, 12:14pm

Right again georgew
Plus One for fiction!
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son..
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on 49" fixed
We love safety cameras, we love life "1330"

irc
Posts: 4673
Joined: 3 Dec 2008, 2:22pm
Location: glasgow

Re: Alasdair Gray is Dead

Postby irc » 30 Dec 2019, 5:05pm

He painted a mean ceiling. At my localish pub, Oran Mor

Alasdair-Gray-Mark-Wild-Photography_023-rs.jpg
https://oran-mor.co.uk/history/alasdair-gray/

mercalia
Posts: 12812
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Alasdair Gray is Dead

Postby mercalia » 30 Dec 2019, 5:16pm

georgew wrote:
mercalia wrote:Never heard of him but then not a great fan of fiction. Much over rated. I did a google and what suprised me he was also celebrated in the visual arts. Thats unusual?

When I meet my sister in London we inevitably end up in Waterstones ( at Trafalgar Sq ) and being assaulted by all those books I think all those trees. Few books are worthy of it. I did see one this Xmas that deserved to be printed a lovely choice of paper colour and illustrations

WP_20191222_15_51_34_Pro.jpg



I have to agree with you......and the fact that you and others in this thread have never heard of him clearly means he wasn't much cop.....right?

I can weep if I think how much that guy could have achieved if he hadn't frittered his life away making up stories that weren't true and painting all those pictures of made-up things. Now if he'd applied himself and come up with a useful book on gas-fitting....I mean that would be useful. But no.....he wasted his life painting pictures and writing silly books and translating Italian classic works and all that rubbish instead.....I ask you. The man was obviously bright......so why not do something useful, like start up a small business or write in here advising us on our gears and suchlike?


wow your sarcasm hurts, not. I just dont like fiction; there are other ways of spending your time intellectually and not books on gas pipes or how to make money. Fiction reading seems to be a very middle class thing as they have the leisure ( and the accents to appreciate it) & advocates present it as if it is the only sign of a cultivated mind, as if it is High Culture ( ie snobbery )

User avatar
georgew
Posts: 1523
Joined: 27 Jan 2007, 4:23pm

Re: Alasdair Gray is Dead

Postby georgew » 30 Dec 2019, 8:01pm

mercalia wrote:.........
wow your sarcasm hurts, not. I just dont like fiction; there are other ways of spending your time intellectually and not books on gas pipes or how to make money. Fiction reading seems to be a very middle class thing as they have the leisure ( and the accents to appreciate it) & advocates present it as if it is the only sign of a cultivated mind, as if it is High Culture ( ie snobbery )



If that is what you really believe then this is sad.

The idea that the reading of fiction is an activity confined to the middle classes is bizarre.....particularly to this particular reader who as the son of a coal miner grew up in a home that had few books and yet always hungered for more.

The world would be an impoverished place if we were to be deprived of access to the imaginings of others......to read fiction is to enrich our own imagination and it leads to a greater understanding of what it is to be a human beng.

I suspect that Shakespeare and the other greats of literature are at this very moment slowly wagging their heads from side to side.

mercalia
Posts: 12812
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Alasdair Gray is Dead

Postby mercalia » 30 Dec 2019, 8:27pm

georgew wrote:
mercalia wrote:.........
wow your sarcasm hurts, not. I just dont like fiction; there are other ways of spending your time intellectually and not books on gas pipes or how to make money. Fiction reading seems to be a very middle class thing as they have the leisure ( and the accents to appreciate it) & advocates present it as if it is the only sign of a cultivated mind, as if it is High Culture ( ie snobbery )



If that is what you really believe then this is sad.

The idea that the reading of fiction is an activity confined to the middle classes is bizarre.....particularly to this particular reader who as the son of a coal miner grew up in a home that had few books and yet always hungered for more.

The world would be an impoverished place if we were to be deprived of access to the imaginings of others......to read fiction is to enrich our own imagination and it leads to a greater understanding of what it is to be a human beng.

I suspect that Shakespeare and the other greats of literature are at this very moment slowly wagging their heads from side to side.


well Will didnt write to be read but to be seen and heard on a stage by everyone, who understood his language? So I suspect he might be amused he is now Great Literature. He was the contemporary equivalent of the cinema, out to make a hit to earn his keep at the box office?