Johnson shows his concern for the environment.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: Johnson shows his concern for the environment.

Postby pete75 » 31 Dec 2019, 4:19pm

bikepacker wrote:You asked for one and got one. I am not going to continue with you pathetic drawing out of irrelevant details, I had enough of those tactics with a Marxist father.

Ah so rebelling against your far left father is what's driven you to hold far right views. Not unusual nor is the opposite.

bikepacker

Postby bikepacker » 31 Dec 2019, 6:46pm

pete75 wrote:
bikepacker wrote:You asked for one and got one. I am not going to continue with you pathetic drawing out of irrelevant details, I had enough of those tactics with a Marxist father.

Ah so rebelling against your far left father is what's driven you to hold far right views. Not unusual nor is the opposite.

Another member of this forum professes to know more about my views than I do myself. The only political statement I have ever made is that I have never and will never vote labour. The reason for this does not in anyway lie with my fathers views but more to do with a very entrepreneurial man I met when I was 12 years old. I am also certain that the Black and Asian employees I have had over the years would not in anyway deem me to hold far right views.

Also if anyone want proof of labour leaders lying even from the dispatch box, read some back copies of Hansard. You wont have to look back too far.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".

pete75

Postby pete75 » 31 Dec 2019, 7:18pm

bikepacker wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Another member of this forum professes to know more about my views than I do myself. The only political statement I have ever made is that I have never and will never vote labour. The reason for this does not in anyway lie with my fathers views but more to do with a very entrepreneurial man I met when I was 12 years old. I am also certain that the Black and Asian employees I have had over the years would not in anyway deem me to hold far right views.

Also if anyone want proof of labour leaders lying even from the dispatch box, read some back copies of Hansard. You wont have to look back too far.

The views you often express here seem to be mostly of a far right nature. It's possible to be right wing without being racist just as it's possible to be left wing and racist.
All politicians lie from time to time. The point is Johnson has told lies bad enough to be sacked for telling them. Once by Michael Howard, leader of the Conservative party at the time and once by Max Hastings, editor of the Daily Telegraph.

PH

Postby PH » 31 Dec 2019, 7:56pm

bikepacker wrote:I had enough of those tactics with a Marxist father.

That has to be the best forum retort I think I've ever read. It's a pity the thread went any further than that, it's perfect, I'm envious that I didn't write it myself. I don't know what it is, part surreal. like it could have come straight out on a Python sketch, it's also got something of the Victorian Melodrama to it, while also being pithy enough to be Pinter. It manages to both have nothing to do with the subject of the thread while at the same time being a showstopper. It's so good I can forgive the name calling you blundered into this otherwise light hearted thread with, though I'm not sorry the moderators removed that,
Happy New Year.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 31 Dec 2019, 8:05pm

merseymouth wrote:Hi all, I don't know about a bet the Boris will be gone as PM by end of 2021, might happen?
But a far more certain fate would be that he is dead or worse if he does actually try to ride the gifted motor-cycle! Just think of the number of folk who hire a scooter or moped whilst on holiday and end up in the prang clinic! :roll:
Far too many folk think riding a powered two wheeler is child's play, many don't live to see the outcome!
Now this is not speaking against PTW's, as my second great love is of such machines, tricycles first of course, but ignorance is bliss for the ill educated.
Still many folk will be rooting for Boris's early demise? :mrgreen: IGICB MM

Half right again MM :wink:
I can ride a bicycle, I can drive a car so obviously I could ride a motorcycle
But if BoJo came a cropper, who might replace him? Who is deputy pm?
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "597"

pete75

Postby pete75 » 31 Dec 2019, 8:21pm

merseymouth wrote:Hi all, I don't know about a bet the Boris will be gone as PM by end of 2021, might happen?
But a far more certain fate would be that he is dead or worse if he does actually try to ride the gifted motor-cycle! Just think of the number of folk who hire a scooter or moped whilst on holiday and end up in the prang clinic! :roll:
Far too many folk think riding a powered two wheeler is child's play, many don't live to see the outcome!

Now this is not speaking against PTW's, as my second great love is of such machines, tricycles first of course, but ignorance is bliss for the ill educated.
Still many folk will be rooting for Boris's early demise? :mrgreen: IGICB MM

Speaking as someone who's hired mopeds, Honda 90s , Vespas , a 1200 Harley and a Yamaha 500 trail bike on holiday I'm not sure I'd agree with that.

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 1 Jan 2020, 1:00am

Hi Pete 75, You will find plenty of evidence to support my contention if you look for it?
Only recently was I reading about a professional footballer who did hire a moped whilst on holiday, came a total box of tricks, prang! Upshot no longer able to earn his living at his preferred occupation.
A few Olympics back a sprinter did likewise, then took to lying about it. So seek & ye shall find!
Also you will find that the number of rusty riders, of mature years, who buy a menopausal toy, also provide high casualty figures because they thought that having ridden a bike years ago they could easily cope with the modern stuff?
My knowledge of the motor-cycle game shows that very few "Big British Bikes" generate sufficient power to enable a rider to gain a Direct Access Licence, T120 & T140 Bonneville, Norton Commando and BSA A65 Spitfire being among the very few available. Yet something like a Yamaha LC250 or LC400 would certainly catch out the unwitting mug!
I'm not anti motor-cycle, just tired of reading about the mugs who give them a bad name.
I started out back before most of the learner laws came into force, then worked with such toys as the Honda CB750, but the machine that nearly did for me was a 100cc Yamaha screamer which was like an on off switch in power delivery, EVIL THING!
When our daughter was undertaking her motor-cycle training I myself took tuition on modern power bikes, worth the expense, a real eye-opener.
Having ridden for over 55 years I see potential dangers for the unwary. MM

pete75

Postby pete75 » 1 Jan 2020, 5:34pm

merseymouth wrote:Hi Pete 75, You will find plenty of evidence to support my contention if you look for it?
Only recently was I reading about a professional footballer who did hire a moped whilst on holiday, came a total box of tricks, prang! Upshot no longer able to earn his living at his preferred occupation.
A few Olympics back a sprinter did likewise, then took to lying about it. So seek & ye shall find!
Also you will find that the number of rusty riders, of mature years, who buy a menopausal toy, also provide high casualty figures because they thought that having ridden a bike years ago they could easily cope with the modern stuff?
My knowledge of the motor-cycle game shows that very few "Big British Bikes" generate sufficient power to enable a rider to gain a Direct Access Licence, T120 & T140 Bonneville, Norton Commando and BSA A65 Spitfire being among the very few available. Yet something like a Yamaha LC250 or LC400 would certainly catch out the unwitting mug!
I'm not anti motor-cycle, just tired of reading about the mugs who give them a bad name.
I started out back before most of the learner laws came into force, then worked with such toys as the Honda CB750, but the machine that nearly did for me was a 100cc Yamaha screamer which was like an on off switch in power delivery, EVIL THING!
When our daughter was undertaking her motor-cycle training I myself took tuition on modern power bikes, worth the expense, a real eye-opener.
Having ridden for over 55 years I see potential dangers for the unwary. MM

Of course some people will have accidents when they hire a motorbike just as some will have accidents when they hire cars abroad. Just looked up that Direct access thingy and it appears if you're 24 you can learn on any bike with 54bhp or more. That's only the Spitfire and the Commando from your list. A 650 Bonnie was 47hp and I think Triumph claimed about 50 for the 750. That's dubious because the 650 was quicker. Strange how the Triumph engine was a better 650 than the Norton but the latter was the better 750.
If you buy a modern bike you don't have to get a high power 200bhp sports bike , there are plenty of decent bikes available with modest power outputs like my R1200GS.

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 1 Jan 2020, 6:16pm

Hi Pete75, I see you like lightweight machines? That Beemer is nearly up to the heft of the "Two-Wheeled Tractors", Hardly-Delirious :roll: .
One also needs a step ladder to board the beast, at least for this 5 ft 10 inch rider.
The biggest hazard for the born again biker is when the mass gets away from them, if if it then gets tangled with the rider the injuries can be horrible. Seen too many cases of that to sicken me.
light & lithe for me please, I'm not Clark Kent :oops: .
For me a nice machine for now would be one that is currently in the Jawa range. A 350cc four stroke single cylinder bike, enough power to get one out of trouble, without too much power to get one into it! (£4'500)
The car world is currently obsessed with excessive mass, which makes them lethal when they are allowed to pick on vulnerable types. I rest my case.
TTFN MM

pete75

Postby pete75 » 1 Jan 2020, 9:42pm

merseymouth wrote:Hi Pete75, I see you like lightweight machines? That Beemer is nearly up to the heft of the "Two-Wheeled Tractors", Hardly-Delirious :roll: .
One also needs a step ladder to board the beast, at least for this 5 ft 10 inch rider.
The biggest hazard for the born again biker is when the mass gets away from them, if if it then gets tangled with the rider the injuries can be horrible. Seen too many cases of that to sicken me.
light & lithe for me please, I'm not Clark Kent :oops: .
For me a nice machine for now would be one that is currently in the Jawa range. A 350cc four stroke single cylinder bike, enough power to get one out of trouble, without too much power to get one into it! (£4'500)
The car world is currently obsessed with excessive mass, which makes them lethal when they are allowed to pick on vulnerable types. I rest my case.
TTFN MM

You talked of having a Honda CB750 . The lightest, the original K0, weighed 233kg wet an R1200GS like mine 238kg wet. The later CB750s put on weight and would have been heavier than the R1200. The CB750 also has a much higher centre of gravity. The BMW seems light and lithe on the road due to it's low cg. As someone who isn't "Vertically challenged" I have no problem with the seat height. It's good because it means your legs are not scrunched up like a jockey's when riding. My wife can easily get on and off our GS and she's only 1/2" taller than you.

I don't see how having a lot of power can get you into trouble when used correctly. Every bike I've ever ridden the rider can vary the amount of power produced with the twist grip. Well all except a 1924 flat tank Norton I once rode which used a throttle lever.

Don't understand what you mean by mass getting away from and tangled with the rider.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 2 Jan 2020, 6:58am

Just come to this topic. The header is confusing in that the criticism of Johnson is his getting motor bike for Xmas. Surely his greater environmental sins are being in Mystique in the first place and his lack of anything constructive in the Queen's Speech.
John

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 2 Jan 2020, 8:21am

Hi Pete75, Are you in some way implying the Boris is the same sort of motor-cyclist as you or I? If he is he's kept that very quiet.
I found that the CB750 was a bit tall for me, the power was way more than I would ever need or desire, but to each their own, that is unless it endangers other.
For me tractability counts for more than power, keep the power stuff for the racetrack! With a National Speed Max of 70mph, too many folk view that as a "Target", I don't. Why produce vehicles that aim to do triple that is my question? The message from the industries is more than garbled, If reality was at the core hyper machines would be confined to the controlled environment of the racecourse.
I loathe the dangers posed by fellow motor-cyclists, wrong side of the road stuff means out of control, I've even had a nutter coming in the opposite direction on a double solid whites section pass me on my near side!!! Yep. I was up on a Lancashire time trial course riding a trike, approaching a corner on the right bit of tarmac only to encounter a Muppet on a hyper sports bike scrating around completely oblivious of other road users, he passed between me, on the correct bit of road, and the hedge on my left? Bloody scary despite it being over in a nano second!
Ride Right, Ride Free. But too many people still take powered two wheelers far too lightly, being ill equipped in both gar and training!
Unless you turn up evidence of BOJO having a history of proper motor-cycle training I will still contend that he is potentially putting his and the safety of others at risk. Ride to enjoy the sights and sounds. TTFN MM

pete75

Postby pete75 » 2 Jan 2020, 11:12am

merseymouth wrote:Hi Pete75, Are you in some way implying the Boris is the same sort of motor-cyclist as you or I? If he is he's kept that very quiet.
I found that the CB750 was a bit tall for me, the power was way more than I would ever need or desire, but to each their own, that is unless it endangers other.
For me tractability counts for more than power, keep the power stuff for the racetrack! With a National Speed Max of 70mph, too many folk view that as a "Target", I don't. Why produce vehicles that aim to do triple that is my question? The message from the industries is more than garbled, If reality was at the core hyper machines would be confined to the controlled environment of the racecourse.
I loathe the dangers posed by fellow motor-cyclists, wrong side of the road stuff means out of control, I've even had a nutter coming in the opposite direction on a double solid whites section pass me on my near side!!! Yep. I was up on a Lancashire time trial course riding a trike, approaching a corner on the right bit of tarmac only to encounter a Muppet on a hyper sports bike scrating around completely oblivious of other road users, he passed between me, on the correct bit of road, and the hedge on my left? Bloody scary despite it being over in a nano second!
Ride Right, Ride Free. But too many people still take powered two wheelers far too lightly, being ill equipped in both gar and training!
Unless you turn up evidence of BOJO having a history of proper motor-cycle training I will still contend that he is potentially putting his and the safety of others at risk. Ride to enjoy the sights and sounds. TTFN MM

I've no idea what sort of motorcyclist Johnson is - have you? Anyhow You're the ring wing Brexiter so Johnson is your man not mine
:lol:

Polisman

Postby Polisman » 2 Jan 2020, 11:16am

Quite a bit of thread drift here! I rather enjoyed it tbh! :lol:

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 2 Jan 2020, 11:20am

Back again Pete75, supporter of brexit Yes! Right Winger? No Way :twisted: . If a card carrying member of the SDP is a right winger you have a distorted slant on social justice. None of the E.U. hierarchy strike me as committed believer in voter power, bottom line. MM