Is Labour finished?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: Is Labour finished?

Post by pete75 »

Spinners wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:and despite the fact that most people did not vote for a Tory Government...

Even in the 1997 'Labour landslide' most people didn't vote for Labour (the Labour vote share was 43.2%).

Even in the 2019 "Conservative landslide" most people didn't vote for the Tories. Their vote share was was 43.6%. Mrs Thatchers share of the vote was always under 44% too. What is your point?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:Hopefully Labour is going to be wandering in the political wilderness for decades to come. The thought of the Labour party ever forming a Government again, in my lifetime, makes me shudder.

So you want a one party state? Not an unusual view from someone on the far right. The British system needs a change in governing party from time to time.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

pete75 wrote:
Spinners wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:and despite the fact that most people did not vote for a Tory Government...

Even in the 1997 'Labour landslide' most people didn't vote for Labour (the Labour vote share was 43.2%).

Even in the 2019 "Conservative landslide" most people didn't vote for the Tories. Their vote share was was 43.6%. Mrs Thatchers share of the vote was always under 44% too. What is your point?

My point is that most people never vote for the GE winner!!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Spinners wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Spinners wrote:

All of which means that a little humility on the part of the 'winners' is needed. Until the 2016 referendum that was there to an extent. Now we have "you lost, get over it."
John
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

pete75 wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:Hopefully Labour is going to be wandering in the political wilderness for decades to come. The thought of the Labour party ever forming a Government again, in my lifetime, makes me shudder.

So you want a one party state? Not an unusual view from someone on the far right. The British system needs a change in governing party from time to time.

I’d agree a change of party is a good thing, from time to time, just never Labour.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:We don't want to give any lot a permanent home in Downing Street. And a decent opposition, large enough either on its own plus rebel government MPs or with other parties to stop government from having all it's own way, is essential to democracy.

Definitely. And the Opposition must want to govern by understanding and appealing to the voters, not seeing the virtue of being an ideological protest group that 'wins arguments' but not elections.

This ^^^^^ needs to be understood by all in Parliament and by all of the political parties, unfortunately a lot of left leaning members on this forum are (or appear to be) incapable of grasping this truth.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

Labour is finished as a credible opposition for as long as it holds the working class in contempt. Between them the marxists and regressive liberals in the Party have torn out the core values it once held. It has been replaced by an unpatriotic, patronising and indecisive Grendel monster.

You don't have to listen carefully to hear that even the Barons' of the North are banging the table for King Boris. The Party that wins the next election, will be the Party that listens to the voices of the majority. The arrogant, the unwise plus the usual roll call of anti democracy types call this Populism or mob rule even, that's why they lost in a democratic vote and why so many of them despise it so much.

The Brexit referendum unmasked those who are contemptuous of the population, from politicians to the judiciary, multi millionaires and vile celebrities.
They howled what they truly thought of the masses publically, and it was a job and service well done.

Happy New Year
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

windmiller wrote:Labour is finished as a credible opposition for as long as it holds the working class in contempt. Between them the marxists and regressive liberals in the Party have torn out the core values it once held. It has been replaced by an unpatriotic, patronising and indecisive Grendel monster.

You don't have to listen carefully to hear that even the Barons' of the North are banging the table for King Boris. The Party that wins the next election, will be the Party that listens to the voices of the majority. The arrogant, the unwise plus the usual roll call of anti democracy types call this Populism or mob rule even, that's why they lost in a democratic vote and why so many of them despise it so much.

The Brexit referendum unmasked those who are contemptuous of the population, from politicians to the judiciary, multi millionaires and vile celebrities.
They howled what they truly thought of the masses publically, and it was a job and service well done.

Happy New Year

The judiciary?
John
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote:

We always need a credible alternative to whoever is at Number 10. We haven't had that for a decade. Come on Labour! Get real!
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Spinners wrote:
pete75 wrote:

All of which means that a little humility on the part of the 'winners' is needed. Until the 2016 referendum that was there to an extent. Now we have "you lost, get over it."

Go back to your opening post.

You could have started with the valid open question is Labour finished unless it learns to (a) rid itself of the dead hand of the unions and (b) be prepared to yield a little ground? But no, you started with a falsehood about Labour's vote share increasing followed by a fact that most people did not vote for a Tory Government which, whilst true, actually applies to all GE winners but was presented to create the illusion that the Conservative Government does not have a mandate to govern the UK. They clearly do!

This thread will go the exact same way as the thread about the next Labour leader, i.e. instead of looking at the issue (most) people here just continue the Tory bashing.

Back on topic, I sincerely hope that Labour can re-boot and come back strongly. We don't often talk politics in the cafe but our ride today took us past Amazon in Swansea and today we discussed the appalling zero hours contracts and the such-like after a family relative was bluntly given the DCM (don't come Monday). No disrespect to the smaller political parties but only Labour can fight that and similar battles and, even in opposition, a strong Labour party can help.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

windmiller wrote:Labour is finished as a credible opposition for as long as it holds the working class in contempt.

Something that a couple of people on here are guilty of as well.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
pete75 wrote:

I’d agree a change of party is a good thing, from time to time, just never Labour.

In the UK that effectively means the Conservatives ruling us permanently. In other words you want a one party state with only your party ruling. A somewhat extremist view.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Spinners wrote:
windmiller wrote:Labour is finished as a credible opposition for as long as it holds the working class in contempt.

Something that a couple of people on here are guilty of as well.

Is there such a thing as 'the working class' now?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Well, if labour really want to start getting back, then rid themselves of their leader first.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Well, if labour really want to start getting back, then rid themselves of their leader first.

Interesting. Corbyn has already resigned and a leadership competition is under way.
John