Is Labour finished?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Is Labour finished?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Oldjohnw wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Well, if labour really want to start getting back, then rid themselves of their leader first.

Interesting. Corbyn has already resigned and a leadership competition is under way.

Had he resigned or is he still caretaker?
Last I heard today is he will stay on until a new leader is elected?
You may well be right.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

pete75 wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:
pete75 wrote:
So you want a one party state? Not an unusual view from someone on the far right. The British system needs a change in governing party from time to time.

I’d agree a change of party is a good thing, from time to time, just never Labour.

In the UK that effectively means the Conservatives ruling us permanently. In other words you want a one party state with only your party ruling. A somewhat extremist view.

It also assumes that the name of the party is inextricably tied to a set of policies or ideals. Plainly that is not true. Over my lifetime, Conservative policies and ideals have changed beyond all recognition. Some policies have changed beyond all recognition almost overnight. Labour policies have fluctuated greatly over its lifetime, on taxation, privatisation, defence and other issues.

Singling out the Labour Party as being uniquely unfit to govern makes absolutely no sense.
Tao

Post by Tao »

H
Last edited by Tao on 5 Jan 2020, 12:17am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Well, if labour really want to start getting back, then rid themselves of their leader first.

Interesting. Corbyn has already resigned and a leadership competition is under way.

Had he resigned or is he still caretaker?
Last I heard today is he will stay on until a new leader is elected?
You may well be right.

I don't know the system works so he may not have literally resigned but the process for a new leader is up and running. He is 'being got rid of'
John
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

bovlomov wrote:Singling out the Labour Party as being uniquely unfit to govern makes absolutely no sense.

In the 1997, 2001 and 2005 elections the Conservatives got 165, 166 and 198 seats, so all worse than current Labour result (but never with less than 30.7% of the vote share which shows the inequity of FPTP).

Labour can undoubtedly return, but the Conservatives are rid of their principal divisive issue, Labour not only have to sort theirs, but reconnect with their voters in the Midlands, the North and Scotland. It's a big ask.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Ben@Forest wrote:
bovlomov wrote:Singling out the Labour Party as being uniquely unfit to govern makes absolutely no sense.

In the 1997, 2001 and 2005 elections the Conservatives got 165, 166 and 198 seats, so all worse than current Labour result (but never with less than 30.7% of the vote share which shows the inequity of FPTP).

Labour can undoubtedly return, but the Conservatives are rid of their principal divisive issue, Labour not only have to sort theirs, but reconnect with their voters in the Midlands, the North and Scotland. It's a big ask.

Agreed. Corbyn is a man with whom many if us share ideals. But he was an accidental leader: he was always a rebellious back bencher. Single or few issue protesters can and should stick to their issues, but a leader needs wide support and needs to know when to stick with something and when to compromise. Corbyn did not have those qualities. He was never the evil Marxist traitor some portrayed him as. Just an inept leader.
John
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

If I ever took leave of my senses, and allied with Corbyn’s thinking. I’d just go to Russia, or join Hezbollah. The guy is a terrorist sympathiser and a traitor.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:If I ever took leave of my senses, and allied with Corbyn’s thinking. I’d just go to Russia, or join Hezbollah. The guy is a terrorist sympathiser and a traitor.

Evidence? Or Daily Mail anti- Corbyn.

Talking of Russia, I got to wondering about a supresssed report.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 1 Jan 2020, 2:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:If I ever took leave of my senses, and allied with Corbyn’s thinking. I’d just go to Russia, or join Hezbollah. The guy is a terrorist sympathiser and a traitor.

Evidence?

Marcus doesn't do evidence.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
sjs

Post by sjs »

Mike Sales wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

Evidence?

Marcus doesn't do evidence.

Good at ranting though.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

bovlomov wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:I’d agree a change of party is a good thing, from time to time, just never Labour.

In the UK that effectively means the Conservatives ruling us permanently. In other words you want a one party state with only your party ruling. A somewhat extremist view.

It also assumes that the name of the party is inextricably tied to a set of policies or ideals. Plainly that is not true. Over my lifetime, Conservative policies and ideals have changed beyond all recognition. Some policies have changed beyond all recognition almost overnight. Labour policies have fluctuated greatly over its lifetime, on taxation, privatisation, defence and other issues.

Singling out the Labour Party as being uniquely unfit to govern makes absolutely no sense.

No it doesn't. If one party is in power continuously then it's a one party state regardless of policies.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

That sentence shows you have taken leave of your senses - assuming you had some in the first place.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker