BT Scam?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

BT Scam?

Post by Mike Sales »

I've just had a phone call purporting to come from BT, my phone and internet supplier, telling me my internet would be cut off in the next 24 hours because hacking had been detected on my line. My scam detector went on. I was told to press button 1, which I did, and heard an indistinct, Indian sounding voice, and what sounded like the background hubbub of a scam factory. So I rang off.
I still have my internet link, as is obvious.
Am I correct, and have others had this scam attempted?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
jezer

Re: BT Scam?

Post by jezer »

I’ve had similar calls, all recorded messages. They seem to come in waves, a few over a couple of days, then nothing for weeks. Definitely scams.
Power to the pedals
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

Hmmm.. You probably just paid a quid or two to be connected briefly to a premium rate Indian number. If you'd have stayed on the line, you could be 80 quid down in a few minutes. These kind of scams are becoming increasingly sophisticated and difficult to stop. Your operator won't help you here, even if you ran up a bill of thousands :shock:
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Polisman wrote:Hmmm.. You probably just paid a quid or two to be connected briefly to a premium rate Indian number. If you'd have stayed on the line, you could be 80 quid down in a few minutes. These kind of scams are becoming increasingly sophisticated and difficult to stop. Your operator won't help you here, even if you ran up a bill of thousands :shock:

I was off the line pretty snappily!
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

Unfortunately by proceeding with the call you've probably been added to their automated 'victim' database and the won't stop so easily. Do you have a black list facility with your operator. I can black list up to 500 numbers with Three. I haven't had a landline number in years because of these nuisance calls. It's just not worth it.
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

Mike Sales wrote:
Polisman wrote:Hmmm.. You probably just paid a quid or two to be connected briefly to a premium rate Indian number. If you'd have stayed on the line, you could be 80 quid down in a few minutes. These kind of scams are becoming increasingly sophisticated and difficult to stop. Your operator won't help you here, even if you ran up a bill of thousands :shock:

These scam numbers can be billed at premium rates up to £100 a minute.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Polisman wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

I await my bill with interest.
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

This happened with kids playing a mobile phone game a few years ago. They scooped up all the phone and email details, probably sold them to some dodgy Russians and targeted thousands to sign up to a monthly subscription of around £20 a month, which was almost impossible to cancel, unless you did so at your bank. Of course the kids appropriated their parents (or anyone's) credit cards whenever they got the chance :lol:

You can bet your guts some dodgy character, probably working in a perfectly legitimate company you deal with, has sold your details, and perhaps millions like you, out the front door of the company on a memory stick. They sell for a good bit of cash. Credit card numbers included. Happens every day of the week.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Polisman wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

Sorry, it's a myth (and one that never dies).
Highest cost to a premium rate number is about £2 a minute (and if they ring you then it's not premium rate).

(Not to be confused with someone getting you to leave your phone connected for hours at a time, but if you ring them hanging up always cuts them off).
horizon

Post by horizon »

Mike Sales wrote:Am I correct, and have others had this scam attempted?

Although mentioning it on here is reassuring, a quick Google will usually bring up plenty of results for this and other scams. FWIW we've had the BT one many times (easy to spot as we don't have a BT line :D )
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

just for receiving a call? yes if you made initiated it?

well unlikeky to happen to me as I never use the landline phone, is cheaper to use my mobile. I cant remember when the last time I have got a call on the land line

https://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/security/scam-calls-how-to-tell-if-a-call-is-from-bt-11364317240138
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We get them from time to time.

We also don't answer the land line as we have an answerphone to do it for us.
Anyone who knows us, knows that we use a mobile phone each. Any calls not in our contacts list don't get answered. Any repeats, they get on the blocked list.

Every now and again, we we get messages left on the answerphone and we listen to them. Anything important or something we should act on gets sorted. Most - the majority perhaps - get deleted.

If everyone did as we do, there wouldn't be any scam calls at all.

eMail is another way of contacting us.
All you need to do is to recognise the scams and junk them. Anyone who knows us will use our private address, but any business ebay/amazon/etc, we use a different address.
Mick F. Cornwall