Dyson vacuum replacement.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
cycleruk

Dyson vacuum replacement.

Post by cycleruk »

We have had a Dyson "ball" vacuum cleaner for a few years but never been really happy with it. Yes it works fine but it is hard to handle and heavy. We are considering possibly getting one of the "cord free" battery types but have no idea whose make to get.
Originally we had the standard Dyson vac' for a good many years but swapped to the ball version. The ball is hard to manoeuvre on thick pile carpet and takes a lot of pushing & pulling. It's O.K. on vinyl floors but still heavy to lift up & down stairs.
The ball type weighs 7Kgs (15lb) whereas a Dyson V7 is a lot lighter at only 2.5 Kgs.
Anyone any advice or thoughts on a viable replacement or whether not to bother. :roll:
Cheers.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Oldjohnw

Re: Dyson vacuum replacement.

Post by Oldjohnw »

We'd always felt Dyson were overrated. When our Miele eventually became too heavy - or we became too old and tired - we bought a G-Tech. Never looked back.
John
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Oldjohnw wrote:We'd always felt Dyson were overrated. When our Miele eventually became too heavy - or we became too old and tired - we bought a G-Tech. Never looked back.

Thanks and appreciate the reply.
We have a G-tech Multi really just for the car. Not sure what it is but for some unknown reason I just don't like it. :oops:
Whether the larger floor version is a lot better I don't know.
P.S The daughters dog always barks at the G-tech advert when it comes on TV. The guy just has to start talking to set him off. :?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Miele. We simply can't kill ours, it's hilariously knackered and it's battered to bits, but it just keeps on going!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Bonefishblues wrote:Miele. We simply can't kill ours, it's hilariously knackered and it's battered to bits, but it just keeps on going!

Agreed. Ours was just too heavy for early dated arms.
John
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I have a Dyson ball and for me it is fine. I got it as a shop return straight from the factory, so rather cheap. My mother has a Dyson battery lightweight and I think it is terrible. Not a lot of suction and it does not track well on carpet. So not recommended I think.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

The Dyson rechargeables get significantly better with bigger numbers.
The V6 is "OK", the V8 is good and the later V10 / V11 are excellent.

Are they overpriced? Undoubtedly, but IMO they are good.

FWIW, I bought a V8 a few years ago and by virtue of more frequent use the house has never been cleaner (not that hard to achieve I'll admit).
I really can't be bothered pulling out a wired hoover, plugging it in and hooking up all the plumbing - never mind trying to store the bleeding thing with all that fat pipework!
In contrast, just lifting the hoover off the wall charger and having a quick whizz round with it seems so effortless I've been known to do it pretty much on a whim.

One thing worth pointing out, the filters need washing pretty much monthly otherwise they don't suck.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

I have a Numatic Henry and would recommend it but it is not a lightweight. Previously I had a Miele, as recommended by Which? magazine, and it died after a few months, however, that is just my experience, sample of one etc.....
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Bonefishblues wrote:Miele. We simply can't kill ours, it's hilariously knackered and it's battered to bits, but it just keeps on going!

Another vote here for a Miele. Ours must be a decade or more old and we bought ours on the recommendation of a relative. Which is probably as good a guide to follow as any. I prefer corded appliances to battery powered ones, batteries eventually die and are uneconomical to replace but corded stuff just keeps on going.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Our Meile is around 20 yrs and still working perfect when we had Labs it was the only thing which dealt with the pet hair. To avoid the lugging upstairs bit we bought a cheap upright, not as much work upstairs, which lives upstairs.
Dead posh two vacuum household. :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Thanks so far for the inputs.
I was really impressed with our first "normal" wheeled Dyson. Had it for years and nothing wrong with it except for the weight. We don't have dogs but did have a pet daughter :D who had longer hair than most pooches.
Unfortunately we were persuaded to part ex' it, due to Dyson special offer and also on the recommendation of our eldest daughter. Wrong decision. :(
We will keep the "ball" of course but want something a lot lighter and easier to use.
The "ball" is a pain to use with our deep pile carpets so don't be taken in by the adverts saying it is easy to steer. Yes on smooth surfaces but not in the rough. :x
If we got a battery type the next decision would be where to hang the charger but only we can answer that.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Carlton green wrote:

Another vote here for a Miele. Ours must be a decade or more old and we bought ours on the recommendation of a relative. Which is probably as good a guide to follow as any. I prefer corded appliances to battery powered ones, batteries eventually die and are uneconomical to replace but corded stuff just keeps on going.

Nah, modern batteries are pretty good and modern chargers even better.

Dyson reckons his V10/V11 battery will last 15 years.
As for economical, should it become necessary then £40 to replace the battery of a £400 cleaner is hardly uneconomical...

All my portable power tools are battery operated these days, plus a fair amount of my gardening stuff too (all using the same battery type).
They get a lot of use and the batteries just keep on going and not having to pee about with extensions is a joy that just keeps on giving.
dim

Post by dim »

the dyson ball hoover is crap .... it's ok for carpets but it's useless on hard flooring.... it does not hoover the bits on the hard flooring and just pushes them around no matter what setting you select

Good old cheap Henry is good for all applications... that's why all the office and commercial cleaning companies use them

these new cordless hoovers (G-Tech and similar) hoover ok and are made for people with arthritis who live in small batchelor flats .... you have to keep on emptying them

Miele and Sebo are the best .... (I've tried them all )
Last edited by dim on 2 Jan 2020, 8:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I have a Tesco bag-less hoover. Cost £30.

It replaced another (£30) Tesco bagless hoover which had done fantastic service for 6 years but the front roller had broken on stone floors.
This is now the workshop/ car hoover and still works great.

The new one is lighter and quieter has no variable speed but also works well. Year old- going well.

It's a hard life for a hoover here. Rustic, dusty and rural!!

Dyson overpriced IMHO.
Just my twopenneth.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Dyson's a marketer not an engineer IMHO.