Running....Why?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: Running....Why?

Post by Oldjohnw »

My daughter runs.
She likes to run.
She could afford to buy a bike.
I do not understand her.

For Mattheus: Boris Johnson runs. And bikes.
John
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Oldjohnw wrote:For Mattheus: Boris Johnson runs. And bikes.

Careful - that could be interpreted as a pro-Boris comment. You'll never live this down!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I used to walk a lot, why not cycle? It's just another activity, do it if it suits you. If not don't.

There is one positive or negative depending on your POV. You don't need a lot of gear to go running unlike cycling.

I tried running one winter. runs first week. First run walk a mile out then back. Second repeat with running out and run walk back. Next week another run for even further with no walking
Then 3 week doing no running. When I went back I was so disgusted with myself I ran 3 miles out without walking then ran back faster in a foul mood with my laziness. Halfway back my knee went and I was in pain for days.

I learnt I can run given enough time to get used to it. Before then I was convinced I could not run despite being able to walk at 4mph for 6 hours straight without a break longer than 5 minutes.

Personally I don't like running but see it as a very good way to get fit.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

peetee wrote:Why do people subject themselves to this torture when they could ride a bike?
Or put it another way, why throw yourself down the stairs when you could walk down instead?
I went for a 3k run last week, just to see if I liked it. Since then my leg muscles have felt they have had a enthusiastic massage by a mallet welding Geoff Capes.
It must get easier....or perhaps not?

I don't like running,never have but some people like running.
My two youngest daughters run marathons and ultra marathons,both preferring trail running to the road,they love it :)
They didnt suddenly start running long disances they built up incrementally starting with a 2km run/walk,in the same way people starting cycling should should start with about 8 to 10km and build from there.
One things for sure a dedicated cyclist of many years,who doesn't do much walking,will find the transition to running initially hard due to the shortened calf muscles.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mattheus wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:For Mattheus: Boris Johnson runs. And bikes.

Careful - that could be interpreted as a pro-Boris comment. You'll never live this down!

:)

I like Latin, too, and think it should be taught in all schools.

My said daughter does park runs and recently did the Oxford half marathon for the food bank there. I respect the cause but am puzzled at the running bit.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 6 Jan 2020, 3:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
pwa

Post by pwa »

A long time ago, when I was in my twenties, I ran daily for several years. I could jog a mile in six minutes, and a five mile run over Lancashire moorland was high on my list of enjoyable things to do. Even compared to MTB riding, I could cover terrain you would not touch with wheels. It gave me a sense of freedom. (R2 knows and even cycles some of the territory I used to run over).

But over time I suffered joint problems and decided that the low impact alternative of cycling suited me better. Now, after so much cycling, my legs don't do running any more. I pick up an injury if I try. I have cycling legs, not running legs.
Last edited by pwa on 6 Jan 2020, 3:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:why do people run? they are poor people? dont have the cash to buy a bike?

the only good think about running ( if you are male) is seeing all the young things........ unfortunately on Streatham Common too many ball shaped people thinking they can lose some weight by running

Races.

When I first started I was at that point in a race where I was surrounded by fit, curvy girls. Long races simply flew past as I tucked in behind and enjoyed the scenery.

Trouble was as I got fitter the girls started to turn into bean poles and the numbers thinned out, by the time I peaked there were no girls around me at all... :(
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
reohn2 wrote:
peetee wrote:Why do people subject themselves to this torture when they could ride a bike?
Or put it another way, why throw yourself down the stairs when you could walk down instead?
I went for a 3k run last week, just to see if I liked it. Since then my leg muscles have felt they have had a enthusiastic massage by a mallet welding Geoff Capes.
It must get easier....or perhaps not?

I don't like running,never have but some people like running.
My two youngest daughters run marathons and ultra marathons,both preferring trail running to the road,they love it :)
They didnt suddenly start running long disances they built up incrementally starting with a 2km run/walk,in the same way people starting cycling should should start with about 8 to 10km and build from there.
One things for sure a dedicated cyclist of many years,who doesn't do much walking,will find the transition to running initially hard due to the shortened calf muscles.

Calf stretches are mandatory for running, omit at your peril.
I gave up cycling to do running until I saw a sub 3hr runner who was also a keen cyclist...............like said above they compliment each other.
Cycling very good for cardio and walking I find.
Running is good like walking because its weight bearing, which as we know is important for health.
But its still a young mans sport if you want to go fast, looking at pro's the lighter frame is more suitable for distance work.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
paddler

Post by paddler »

mercalia wrote:why do people run? they are poor people? dont have the cash to buy a bike?

the only good think about running ( if you are male) is seeing all the young things........ unfortunately on Streatham Common too many ball shaped people thinking they can lose some weight by running

They do say you can't out-run a bad diet! :D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

or... maybe they just like running?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Cycling is what you do when running has knackered your knees. :(
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

bogmyrtle wrote:Cycling is what you do when running has knackered your knees. :(

I doubt most folks knackered knees are because they wore them out.
Pretty much everyone I know with knackered/replacement joints doesn't (and has never) run (or cycled).
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

kwackers wrote:
bogmyrtle wrote:Cycling is what you do when running has knackered your knees. :(

I doubt most folks knackered knees are because they wore them out.
Pretty much everyone I know with knackered/replacement joints doesn't (and has never) run (or cycled).

I think if you just looked at those who can cycle, but can no longer run, you would find that it's mostly wear-n-tear from running. (I presume this thread is mostly about active people, not people who are suffering due to a life of inactivity).
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mattheus wrote:I think if you just looked at those who can cycle, but can no longer run, you would find that it's mostly wear-n-tear from running. (I presume this thread is mostly about active people, not people who are suffering due to a life of inactivity).

That's not really my experience - admittedly I only know a few hundred runners and some of those have injured themselves but they've done so because they're just not very good runners (usually too intermittent and bad form) rather than because running is bad.

It's also not like there are no threads on here discussing knee problems from people who have never run either... ;)

My take on it.
Run regularly - several times a week. Build up slowly, it takes a few years for the bio-mechanics to catch up with muscle tone.
Cycle as well as running, they work opposite muscles with good effect.

Lots of people in my local running club who've been running for decades sometimes into their 70's and 80's with no issues.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

There is nothing in my post that says people cannot (or DO not) run into their 70s.

I was quite careful in the wording.