O2 Pay As You Go WARNING

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

O2 Pay As You Go WARNING

Post by mercalia »

I have a number of O2 Pay as you go sims on a various mobiles I use for different purposes. I knew that you have to use it atleast once every 6 months to keep the number active. I used to think that this included text messages or data. Seems like not with O2, the system cant be trusted to register them as validating your phone number, it should be a voice call.

I found this out the hard way to day when one mobile showed no connectivty to O2 and the online account showed empty. the sim was dead. I thought at first some one had stolen the number and assigned to another sim. No it turned out the above was true. Fortunatley the system had registered my text messages before the cut off ( for charging) so the O2 rep reactivated my sim and I got my balance back. Even so this shouldnt be happening?

So be warned. Is this only true of O2 or maybe other phone companies have the same shortcomings?
Last edited by mercalia on 6 Feb 2020, 10:29pm, edited 2 times in total.
al_yrpal

Re: Keeping mobile numbers live.

Post by al_yrpal »

Three 321 PAYG will never get cut off, was unique to Three...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

al_yrpal wrote:Three 321 PAYG will never get cut off, was unique to Three...

Al

Trouble is their reception is not good country wide whereas O2 is. You would have thought that London would be good, not really where I am. patchy. Shame as Three is the only other company that does a 321 PAYG. I wanted the phone for emergancies, no point if you have no reliable reception? eg I tried 3 miles or so out side Stratford upon Avon still in a built up area and no Three reception but O2 was ok.

YHA Stratford upon Avon
YHA Stratford upon Avon
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I used to carry all four major networks when I was out and about (because I had multiple work phones due to complex arrangements).

In a true (999) emergency your phone doesn't need a SIM - it will connect to *any* available network and make that call.
If you are thinking about a more 'I have been visited by the fairy and want a taxi' then obviously that doesn't help.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I used to carry all four major networks when I was out and about (because I had multiple work phones due to complex arrangements).

In a true (999) emergency your phone doesn't need a SIM - it will connect to *any* available network and make that call.
If you are thinking about a more 'I have been visited by the fairy and want a taxi' then obviously that doesn't help.

in my case it was my motorbike - the battery failed at a petrol station so wouldnt start. I was lucky that time I had my note book with me so could find the nearest Halfords in Oxford and order one and get back on the road in 2 hours ( there was a bus stop nearby). Why I got a smartphone in the first place.
Last edited by mercalia on 6 Jan 2020, 10:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

My Tesco mobile sim was in a Nokia 3310 style samsung phone for years without use. Found it after possibly 5 years or more. Expected it not to work but I read able to text and call using the credit left on it.

That was a bit weird because I thought Tesco changed the carrier network they used in that time. I thought that would also stop it working.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Tangled Metal wrote:My Tesco mobile sim was in a Nokia 3310 style samsung phone for years without use. Found it after possibly 5 years or more. Expected it not to work but I read able to text and call using the credit left on it.

That was a bit weird because I thought Tesco changed the carrier network they used in that time. I thought that would also stop it working.

Thats strange as Tesco use O2 I think.

seems expensive

https://www.tescomobile.com/triple-credit

tesco.JPG
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I have a cheap backup phone in mine (and my wife's) car.

Every twl weeks, charge and make a call.... sorted
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

about roaming

an interesting article. has any one here been caught out?

Don’t forget flight mode: your mobile can rack up £1,000 of roaming charges

eg on aircraft

AeroMobile: . Its satellite roaming charges are £7.50 per MB.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/jan/12/mobile-phone-air-sea-charges-satellite-roaming?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZW5kLTIwMDExMg%3D%3D&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTUK_email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK
mercalia

Re: O2 Pay As You Go WARNING

Post by mercalia »

Another of my O2 mobiles was cut off today, It seems they have ended their 321 Classic SIM and I am sure they have changed the rules . Before It was just use once within 6months now they have added Oh and you must top up once during that time. Yes it says that on the website, But I am sure it wasnt before.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/classic-pay-as-you-go

SO be warned if you have a Classic 321 sim and dont top it up, you stand to lose your credit.

Well when I have used mine up I will be dumping O2
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mercalia wrote:about roaming

an interesting article. has any one here been caught out?

Don’t forget flight mode: your mobile can rack up £1,000 of roaming charges

eg on aircraft

AeroMobile: . Its satellite roaming charges are £7.50 per MB.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/jan/12/mobile-phone-air-sea-charges-satellite-roaming?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZW5kLTIwMDExMg%3D%3D&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTUK_email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK

A simple solution is to set your allowance for additional charges to zero, solves a lot of problems
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mercalia wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:My Tesco mobile sim was in a Nokia 3310 style samsung phone for years without use. Found it after possibly 5 years or more. Expected it not to work but I read able to text and call using the credit left on it.

Thats strange as Tesco use O2 I think.

seems expensive

https://www.tescomobile.com/triple-credit

tesco.JPG

Tesco is indeed O2 but limited. I moved from O2 to Tesco as it was cheaper and I was told it was the same service.

Then when setting up prior to a holiday set up call divert.... doesn't work. returned to Tesco and discovered this was just one of a number of services that Tesco did not offer.

After some wrangling, cancelled by contract as "mis-sold" and moved to GiffGaff

GiffGaff is the only company I have known that texts you to say that on the previous month's usage a smaller and cheaper package would suit your needs
PH

Post by PH »

Giffgaff credit, other than goody bags, lasts till it runs out as long as you use the phone for something once every six months, unless it’s changed recently. As said, they use the O2 network.
RickH

Post by RickH »

PH wrote:Giffgaff credit, other than goody bags, lasts till it runs out as long as you use the phone for something once every six months, unless it’s changed recently. As said, they use the O2 network.

FWIW Giffgaff and 02 are both parts of Telefonica UK Limited
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I tried an old Tesco mobile sim in my dumbphone I used to use as emergency when away in the highlands. I think I used it last as much as 9 years ago. I tried it last summer and it worked still had plenty of credit left.

That's true, it had not been used for years, it's been left outside under a bush in the rain (don't ask, kids! ) and it not just had charge but also the sim worked with credit.

Iirc Tesco mobile used to be o2. Certainly was when I got that sim.