fake plastic £10 notes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

fake plastic £10 notes

Post by mercalia »

I was surprised to hear there are some. I was shown one in my local newsagent

[youtube]tGbwXx2g99U[/youtube]

I thought the day of the fake was supposed to be over.

The one I was shown was bronze at the top edge rather than silver where the crown is right of the £10, on the front.
Pastychomper

Re: fake plastic £10 notes

Post by Pastychomper »

Thanks for pointing this out, it is the first fake plastic note I've heard of but it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Switching to plastic put the Mint ahead in the arms race for a while, but a bit of plastic can only offer limited protection against forgery. Hopefully this will remind us all to be on our guard and not expect the magic plastic notes to protect us from frauds.

Hmm, why does the above sound familiar? :wink:
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Plastic notes eg?
Not the be-all-and-end-all of protection. :wink:

The new £1 coin is good perhaps.
The old one was forged seemingly endlessly, but the man on the street didn't care much, as he spent it regardless. Many not even knowing they had a forgery at all.

If you had a forged £10 note, and unknowingly spent it ............ does it matter to you personally?
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:Plastic notes eg?

The old one was forged seemingly endlessly, but the man on the street didn't care much, as he spent it regardless. Many not even knowing they had a forgery at all.

If you had a forged £10 note, and unknowingly spent it ............ does it matter to you personally?

if it gets rejected you would as you would be out a tenner. I suspect it is easier to detect a fake tenner than the old paper ones, with all the fancy colours effects and holograms. Doesnt take long ? I just ordered a cheap UV torch from ebay ( £2.30) to see the UV protection. Will take that with me every where in future, if it works & scan every plastic note I am given. You cant even trust atms. I think I mentioned a BBC story from up north ( Lancaster I think, building society) an atm gave out play money - even said play money on it ( can buy them on Ebay)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

With the old £1 coins if they were detected, you'd be out a quid.
Considering the numbers out there, you could be out a tenner easily.

............. but you weren't.

it was estimated that as many as three per cent of the old round pounds were fake, representing £50 million of fake coinage in circulation in the UK

Nobody noticed ............................ other than the banks eventually.

£10 notes forged?
If I could make my own in sufficient numbers, I would.
Mick F. Cornwall
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

The problem is spending them fast enough to make millions.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Postboxer wrote:The problem is spending them fast enough to make millions.

you could always invest ( money launder) the fakes in OneCoin CryptoCurrency :twisted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-50435014
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Mick F wrote:Plastic notes eg?

Privatised Quantitative Easing :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Mick F wrote:Nobody noticed ............................ other than the banks eventually.

Some people did. At least, the lead pounds became easy to spot after a while because the colour faded. I know a bus driver who rejected at least one on his round, and another (coin, not driver) ended up pinned to the noticeboard in a flat I once shared.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If you can find one of the round £1 fakes, I reckon they'll be worth more than a quid now.
Maybe even two quid.

Should have stockpiled them! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I have 6 Falkland Islands round £s acquired on a visit there. They would accept UK round £s ok in the shop so I did a swap. I am wondering if they got new coinage with the faceted edge like us? If they didnt will they accept our new stuff and the plastic notes? Anyone been lately?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Never made it ashore there, but bombarded the place with high explosives for weeks on end in 1982. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Glad I didnt go until 2008 then! :wink:
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Jesus wept: "Polymer is a thin and flexible plastic material." As any fule no, polymers are a whole class of organic chemicals. E.g. polyethylene glycol is a polymer used to treat constipation; d'you reckon they could print tenners on turds?
Have we got time for another cuppa?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Audax67 wrote:d'you reckon they could print tenners on turds?

Don't see why not, seen a few people polish them up in my time.