fake plastic £10 notes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: fake plastic £10 notes

Post by mercalia »

kwackers wrote:
Audax67 wrote:d'you reckon they could print tenners on turds?

Don't see why not, seen a few people polish them up in my time.

well the sale of roughage foods would get a boost. Stop calling it a number 2 and now a number 10
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well I got the UV pen from ebay. Shows the 10 on the new plastic tenner

What I didnt realise on the paper £20 & £50 there are also UV markers - lots of short silver "worm" tracks embedded in the paper, all over the notes. So the small torch ( about the same size as you thumb, takes 3 AAA batteries ) was worth the outlay. small enough to carry around.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPER-UV-ULTRA-VIOLET-TORCH-FLASHLIGHT-URINE-WEE-PEE-STAIN-DETECTOR-LIGHT-PET/264555938930?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Pastychomper wrote:
Mick F wrote:Nobody noticed ............................ other than the banks eventually.

Some people did.

I was once given a fake £1 coin in change from a cafe. It felt lighter in weight so I looked more closely and spotted the slightly different colour and poor definition. The barista agreed that it was a fake - and put it back in the till! :shock:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

............ then gave it in change to someone else.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Talking of notes to Mrs Mick F a short while ago, she recounted the time we were in Looe last summer for the day.

We called in at the only cashpoint in the town for £100 and were dismayed to find that it paid out two £50 notes.
It is the Barclays branch and the ATM is just inside the front door, so we went straight in to the teller and asked for change for them. As we don't have a Barclays account, they wouldn't help.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.35468 ... 312!8i6656

It was suggested we went to the post office-cum-Spar Shop on the quay.
They were happy to take them and gave us Tenners and Twenties .............. but this begs the question.
What do they do with them?
No doubt they have an account with Barclays, and pay them in, and then they end up in the ATM at the branch! :lol: :lol:

Little known fact.
There are two ATMs in the whole country which pay out £50 notes.
One in Oxford Street London, and the other in Looe Cornwall.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Barclays in Burleigh street, off The strand and by The Savoy Hotel only pays out £20 & £50 notes. It's nowhere near Oxford street. Theres a few others in London too.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks for that.
The people in Looe are telling us old info then eh?

Doesn't help us poor people down here not in the affluent SE though one way or another.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:Talking of notes to Mrs Mick F a short while ago, she recounted the time we were in Looe last summer for the day.

We called in at the only cashpoint in the town for £100 and were dismayed to find that it paid out two £50 notes.
It is the Barclays branch and the ATM is just inside the front door, so we went straight in to the teller and asked for change for them. As we don't have a Barclays account, they wouldn't help.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.35468 ... 312!8i6656

It was suggested we went to the post office-cum-Spar Shop on the quay.
They were happy to take them and gave us Tenners and Twenties .............. but this begs the question.
What do they do with them?
No doubt they have an account with Barclays, and pay them in, and then they end up in the ATM at the branch! :lol: :lol:

Little known fact.
There are two ATMs in the whole country which pay out £50 notes.
One in Oxford Street London, and the other in Looe Cornwall.

No I was told at Santander that a separate company controls their ATMs, so probably the same else where
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:Doesn't help us poor people down here not in the affluent SE though one way or another.

My closest ATM's have fivers, sometimes only those and tenners available, what does that say about where I live :lol:
In my poor youth and the days before you could pay by card everywhere, I thought ATM's should have a gambling element for those who had some money but not enough to withdraw. The odds could be calculated on how short you were, so if you had £9.95 and bet it for a tenner you'd get better odds than if you only had £1.20.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

back to a serious note. Back in my Newsagents I was shown a fake that had the hidden £10 on the front that only appears when lit by UV. So that feature not a reliable test. ( Well the UV torch only cost me £2.50) I was told to get Note Check pen that leaves a brown line when used.

You can bet that next month when the new plastic £20 comes out they will be faked like nobodies business
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

In the old days, folk were lucky to earn £20 a week.
When I joined the RN in 1969, I was on 10/3d a day .......... £7 every fortnight. Probably was paid with a fiver and a couple of pound notes coz I seem to remember we were always looking for change when we went out.

In those days, most suff people used was in coin ............ half crowns, two bob bits, tanners, threppeny bits and copper.

Was any of it fake?
Somehow I doubt it.
Mick F. Cornwall
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mick F wrote:In the old days, folk were lucky to earn £20 a week.
When I joined the RN in 1969, I was on 10/3d a day .......... £7 every fortnight. Probably was paid with a fiver and a couple of pound notes coz I seem to remember we were always looking for change when we went out.

In those days, most suff people used was in coin ............ half crowns, two bob bits, tanners, threppeny bits and copper.

Was any of it fake?
Somehow I doubt it.

In around '77 I did a summer job at a place that had an engineering department.
The guys there were 'old hands' at making coins* for use the various vending machines in their spare time.

Anecdotal, but I'd put money on it that they weren't the only ones, nor had they only started post decimalisation...

*Obviously they didn't bother with the niceties of printing the faces.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, I seem to remember that sort of thing.
The slot machines weren't very sophisticated and all they detected was the size.

Years ago when supermarkets started needing pound coins to release a trolly, I made some "pound coins" from old plastic car numberplates. Same thickness! Must have made a dozen and gave some away to people.

The good thing about disposable plastic disks, is that you can leave them in the trolly for someone else to have a freebie.

Steadily, over the years, you could buy tokens, so my plastic bits aren't needed, though there is still one left in the car glovebox.
Mick F. Cornwall
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

I remember a story from a few years ago. Someone had made a mould of a 50p piece and used it to cast ice coins, which he used in the gas meter. He was found out when someone came to empty the meter and found water in the coin box.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall