New Royals Going It Alone

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: New Royals Going It Alone

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yep, we can see they may well follow some of the other royal family, back in the fold :P
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

francovendee wrote:What is never revealed is the cost of their security.
This will continue and I'd guess a considerable sum.
A newspaper article today said currently £600,000 per annum. That can only increase with them living overseas.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Don't get me wrong (I'm a staunch republican who would be very happy to see the end of the Royal family - after all we don't have hereditary doctors!) but looking at today's press headlines not one of them says:

'British media pressure causes Harry and Megan to quit: newspapers frantically looking for ways to deflect blame and for a new gossip story to help maintain sales'

Try reading 'Power without responsibility' by James Curran if you still harbour the belief that the British press has any moral integrity
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Looking like the US Presidency might be on the way to becoming an hereditary role, since two of Trump's children are favourites. Presidencies don't come cheap either.
John
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Oldjohnw wrote:Looking like the US Presidency might be on the way to becoming an hereditary role, since two of Trump's children are favourites. Presidencies don't come cheap either.

Nor are they cheap to buy.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Oldjohnw wrote:If you look on their website (Sussex Royal) you'll find they will continue to get the 95% from the Duchy of Cornwall which is not from the State. They will surrender the 5% they get from the Sovereign Grant. In turn they get to choose - and finance - which duties they do.

The Queen gives the Treasury the entire income from the Crown Estates and gets about 15-25% back as the Sovereign Grant.

I assume that if the FCO sends them to do something the government picks up the tab.

The income form the Crown estate was surrendered to the government back in the time of George III and a civil list income given instead. Prior to that the monarch was responsible for funding the cost of "civil government" from Crown Estate income. One of the reasons for the change was that the cost of government was increasing beyond the income from the Crown Estate. In other words it was done for the benefit of the monarch not the country as a whole.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pwa

Post by pwa »

I wonder if Harry has recognised that people are not going to put up with his own family being supported as top flight royals when he is not close to being in line to be monarch. So he is casting round for another role for himself and his offspring. His brother's family will be the top flight royals. That is the reality of being in the royal family. He is surplus to requirements.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pwa wrote:I wonder if Harry has recognised that people are not going to put up with his own family being supported as top flight royals when he is not close to being in line to be monarch. So he is casting round for another role for himself and his offspring. His brother's family will be the top flight royals. That is the reality of being in the royal family. He is surplus to requirements.

yes just a spare incase some thing happens to William and Kate
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

pete75 wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:If you look on their website (Sussex Royal) you'll find they will continue to get the 95% from the Duchy of Cornwall which is not from the State. They will surrender the 5% they get from the Sovereign Grant. In turn they get to choose - and finance - which duties they do.

The Queen gives the Treasury the entire income from the Crown Estates and gets about 15-25% back as the Sovereign Grant.

I assume that if the FCO sends them to do something the government picks up the tab.

The income form the Crown estate was surrendered to the government back in the time of George III and a civil list income given instead. Prior to that the monarch was responsible for funding the cost of "civil government" from Crown Estate income. One of the reasons for the change was that the cost of government was increasing beyond the income from the Crown Estate. In other words it was done for the benefit of the monarch not the country as a whole.

And the Civil List was abolished in about 2012 and replaced by a Sovereign Grant.

I making no view of the right and wrong of this.
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mercalia wrote:
pwa wrote:I wonder if Harry has recognised that people are not going to put up with his own family being supported as top flight royals when he is not close to being in line to be monarch. So he is casting round for another role for himself and his offspring. His brother's family will be the top flight royals. That is the reality of being in the royal family. He is surplus to requirements.

And even if something happens to William, George takes over! Then Charlotte and so on. Harry isn't even the spare anymore.
John
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Oldjohnw wrote:
mercalia wrote:

And even if something happens to William, George takes over! Then Charlotte and so on. Harry isn't even the spare anymore.

he is young enough to train for a proffession? do a proper job. Other than the perks, what a boring life the "royals" have? Harry is lucky to be able to try some thing different, Meghan is possibly the best thing to happen to him?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Oldjohnw wrote:
pete75 wrote:

And the Civil List was abolished in about 2012 and replaced by a Sovereign Grant.

Same thing different name. I think they just rolled up the Civil List and all the other grants of dosh into one.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

pete75 wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Speaking from memory I think the civil list included some quite ridiculous hangers on. Like various dukes who were cousins.

Same thing different name. I think they just rolled up the Civil List and all the other grants of dosh into one.
John
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Anyhow the Daily Mail don't like what's happening so they must be doing something right. :D
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

pete75 wrote:Anyhow the Daily Mail don't like what's happening so they must be doing something right. :D

Sarah Vine and Piers Morgan are pretty viciously against them. That is a badge to wear with pride.
John