New Royals Going It Alone

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75
Posts: 12431
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: New Royals Going It Alone

Postby pete75 » 10 Jan 2020, 4:01pm

Oldjohnw wrote:
pete75 wrote:Anyhow the Daily Mail don't like what's happening so they must be doing something right. :D



Sarah Vine and Piers Morgan are pretty viciously against them. That is a badge to wear with pride.


Is that the Sarah Vine that tells Michael Gove what to do?

Oldjohnw
Posts: 2857
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: New Royals Going It Alone

Postby Oldjohnw » 10 Jan 2020, 4:11pm

pete75 wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
pete75 wrote:Anyhow the Daily Mail don't like what's happening so they must be doing something right. :D



Sarah Vine and Piers Morgan are pretty viciously against them. That is a badge to wear with pride.


Is that the Sarah Vine that tells Michael Gove what to do?


The one!
John

merseymouth
Posts: 1376
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: New Royals Going It Alone

Postby merseymouth » 10 Jan 2020, 4:30pm

Hi all, This seems to be raising less laughs than ED V111 did back at the abdication crisis? He was the butt of a number of jokes, of which my favourite was this - "Poor David, went from Admiral of the Fleet to merely Third Mate of a U.S. Tramp"!
So maybe if the withdraw the "Sussex" honour they could replace it with "Duke of Windsor 2" ?????????? :lol: IGICB MM

mercalia
Posts: 12320
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: New Royals Going It Alone

Postby mercalia » 10 Jan 2020, 4:50pm

merseymouth wrote:Hi all, This seems to be raising less laughs than ED V111 did back at the abdication crisis? He was the butt of a number of jokes, of which my favourite was this - "Poor David, went from Admiral of the Fleet to merely Third Mate of a U.S. Tramp"!
So maybe if the withdraw the "Sussex" honour they could replace it with "Duke of Windsor 2" ?????????? :lol: IGICB MM



yes they should abdicate from the Duke and Duchess of Sussex thing? I doubt Sussex ever wanted them or could care less? I wonder if Meghan would care? Yanks like titles?

francovendee
Posts: 1166
Joined: 5 May 2009, 6:32am

Re: New Royals Going It Alone

Postby francovendee » 10 Jan 2020, 5:51pm

Strange what marriage does. We heard nothing of any discontent with his role before Harry got wed.
I always thought the two brothers had a rock solid relationship, formed by their mother's sudden death.

mercalia
Posts: 12320
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: New Royals Going It Alone

Postby mercalia » 10 Jan 2020, 8:31pm

francovendee wrote:Strange what marriage does. We heard nothing of any discontent with his role before Harry got wed.
I always thought the two brothers had a rock solid relationship, formed by their mother's sudden death.


well the yank will get all the blame in the UK press?

or

ouch

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2020/01/harry-and-meghan-just-cant-handle-criticism/

User avatar
georgew
Posts: 1506
Joined: 27 Jan 2007, 4:23pm

Re: New Royals Going It Alone

Postby georgew » 11 Jan 2020, 10:04am

Thank heavens for a distraction from all this dreary stuff about foodbanks.......I mean it can get really depressing.

This is why we need a Royal family.

gbnz
Posts: 1663
Joined: 13 Sep 2008, 10:38am

Re: New Royals Going It Alone

Postby gbnz » 13 Jan 2020, 5:22pm

georgew wrote:This is why we need a Royal family.


Can't they all join the ginger runt and bugger off abroad?

Apologies for reopening the thread, but I've actually found myself having to turn Radio 4 off during both the Today & PM program today :( . Radio 4 even found a royal commentator who didn't appear to speak English, I.e. "Ohh, whal the Oyal framy r soo impotent to vat we do as a naton. Turned to Smooth Radio for a break and even they had replaced music with royal framy stuff :roll:

Suppose it could be worse. We could do a swap and crown trump for a year, prior to the elderly biddy coming back to sit on her throne

mercalia
Posts: 12320
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: New Royals Going It Alone

Postby mercalia » 13 Jan 2020, 5:28pm

gbnz wrote:
georgew wrote:This is why we need a Royal family.


Can't they all join the ginger runt and bugger off abroad?

Apologies for reopening the thread, but I've actually found myself having to turn Radio 4 off during both the Today & PM program today :( . Radio 4 even found a royal commentator who didn't appear to speak English, I.e. "Ohh, whal the Oyal framy r soo impotent to vat we do as a naton. Turned to Smooth Radio for a break and even they had replaced music with royal framy stuff :roll:

Suppose it could be worse. We could do a swap and crown trump for a year, prior to the elderly biddy coming back to sit on her throne



I think they will set up a company called Renta Royal

or maybe see them begging on the streets of Toronto. Spare $1,000 guv
Last edited by mercalia on 13 Jan 2020, 5:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hobbs1951
Posts: 480
Joined: 15 Apr 2014, 10:48am

Re: New Royals Going It Alone

Postby Hobbs1951 » 13 Jan 2020, 5:30pm

mercalia wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Hi all, This seems to be raising less laughs than ED V111 did back at the abdication crisis? He was the butt of a number of jokes, of which my favourite was this - "Poor David, went from Admiral of the Fleet to merely Third Mate of a U.S. Tramp"!
So maybe if the withdraw the "Sussex" honour they could replace it with "Duke of Windsor 2" ?????????? :lol: IGICB MM



yes they should abdicate from the Duke and Duchess of Sussex thing? I doubt Sussex ever wanted them or could care less? I wonder if Meghan would care? Yanks like titles?


Have they even been to Sussex ?

John.

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 8183
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: New Royals Going It Alone

Postby al_yrpal » 13 Jan 2020, 5:35pm

They will all end up being sponsored.

The Coca Cola Duke of Sussex. The Domino's Duke of Edinburgh etc.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

merseymouth
Posts: 1376
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: New Royals Going It Alone

Postby merseymouth » 13 Jan 2020, 5:59pm

Hi all, As Bill Gates is the man with the dosh maybe "Microsoft Sussex.Com" will be the brand of choice :roll: ?
The money that has been spent? Wasted? on the royal sprogs over the years would banish Austerity I'm sure! How many have had helicopter training for free only to duck out before doing their wack' Phil, Charles, Andy, Wills, Harry, no doubt George has had his name put down? Me thinks not.
As for free "Home Improvements"? Nick Knowles must be envious.
One obvious question that I don't think has been asked -"Did the Duke of Windsor get full time protection after his abdication?".
But to be fair all power clubs get a stonking perks package wherever you look, even their graves get protection? Sorry mods :oops: MM

Oldjohnw
Posts: 2857
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: New Royals Going It Alone

Postby Oldjohnw » 13 Jan 2020, 8:27pm

al_yrpal wrote:They will all end up being sponsored.

The Coca Cola Duke of Sussex. The Domino's Duke of Edinburgh etc.

Al


I understood that it was Pizza Express which received Royal favour.
John

mercalia
Posts: 12320
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: New Royals Going It Alone

Postby mercalia » 13 Jan 2020, 9:13pm

The shape of things to come?

Perhaps though newly discovered footage of Prince Harry from July last year, when the pair attended the premiere of the Lion King in Leicester Square, could provide a clue as to how the royals will make a living. The video is alleged to show Prince Harry on the red carpet asking the CEO of Disney, Bob Iger, to consider using Meghan Markle as a voice-over actor in a future Disney movie:



But perhaps more worryingly, Mr S remembers that Harry and Meghan were criticised at the time for choosing to attend the glitzy premiere when they had also been invited to a memorial concert, on the same night, for the Royal Marines killed by the IRA in Deal, Kent – especially as Prince Harry is Captain General of the Royal Marines. A Buckingham Palace spokeswoman confirmed in August last year that Harry had been ‘unable to attend the memorial concert’, but did not explain why he opted to spend his time with Hollywood A-listers and celebrities on the red carpet instead.



https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2020/01/did-harry-put-disney-networking-before-the-royal-marines/

JohnW
Posts: 6288
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: New Royals Going It Alone

Postby JohnW » 13 Jan 2020, 10:57pm

drossall wrote:It would be sad if our only reaction was about whether this would advance our own political views. Two people at the centre of this appear to be facing struggles. Even those who feel that the Royal Family does not deserve special consideration presumably feel that they deserve the same as everyone else?

Good for you drossall - +1 to that.