N Plus X: how many cycles do you own?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

How many rideable cycles do you own?

None
0
No votes
One
4
6%
Two
7
10%
Three
13
19%
Four
7
10%
Five
8
12%
Six
7
10%
Seven
6
9%
Eight
3
4%
Nine or more
12
18%
 
Total votes: 67

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 12360
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Between the woods and the water

Re: N Plus X: how many cycles do you own?

Postby Cyril Haearn » 16 Feb 2020, 5:00pm

Stradageek wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I want to get a unicycle, is it hard to learn to ride one, like riding a bicycle? Cannae remember learning that unfortunately


I've still no idea how it's done, after a few weeks wobbling while holding a shelf I just thought lets just go - and away I went. The moment I start thinking about how impossible this is I fall off :D

But as stopping and falling off are the same thing it's not an issue

I can ride a fixed wheel already, I am halfway there :wink:
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son..
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on 49" fixed
We love safety cameras, we love life "1330"

Oldjohnw
Posts: 3470
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: N Plus X: how many cycles do you own?

Postby Oldjohnw » 16 Feb 2020, 5:27pm

I see nine bikes in the lead by some margin.

What does that say?

Bragging? Consumerism? Need? Just hanging on to every one I've ever had? Different bikes for every purpose and season?
John

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 12360
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Between the woods and the water

Re: N Plus X: how many cycles do you own?

Postby Cyril Haearn » 16 Feb 2020, 5:42pm

Nine or more, actually, I bet most giving that answer have more than nine :wink:

Bikes are like books maybe, but not like cars
B+B, when one gets another one may keep the old ones, simples, but owning more than one motor vehicle is not normal :?
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son..
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on 49" fixed
We love safety cameras, we love life "1330"

Oldjohnw
Posts: 3470
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: N Plus X: how many cycles do you own?

Postby Oldjohnw » 16 Feb 2020, 5:59pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:Nine or more, actually, I bet most giving that answer have more than nine :wink:

Bikes are like books maybe, but not like cars
B+B, when one gets another one may keep the old ones, simples, but owning more than one motor vehicle is not normal :?



Not sure what where the reference to owning more than one motor vehicle is from. As the owner of a single bike the concept of owning many is a surprise to me, although I get the rationale. Sort of.
John

User avatar
horizon
Posts: 10088
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Cornwall

Re: N Plus X: how many cycles do you own?

Postby horizon » 16 Feb 2020, 6:04pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:One might like to list the cycles one has owned in the past too, the list would be even longer, dozens maybe,


I think it often wouldn't be much different from what people currently own. Bkes (unlike cars) are easy to keep and store and still have an enduring usefulness. Lots of electrical items OTOH are disposed of because they no longer work and clothes wear out: bikes can keep going for ever. I still have most of the bikes I've owned: two scrapped, three stolen, one sold, the rest (nine) I still have.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

merseymouth
Posts: 1530
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: N Plus X: how many cycles do you own?

Postby merseymouth » 16 Feb 2020, 6:06pm

Hi all, No names, no pack drill, but a chum of mine refuses to attempt a count of his stable full! Way back he lost the will after 50 tandem varieties, the thought of counting the solos scares him witless, his wife shares the terror.
So a count of 9 in the string is very small mineral water. MM

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 12360
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Between the woods and the water

Re: N Plus X: how many cycles do you own?

Postby Cyril Haearn » 16 Feb 2020, 6:36pm

Fifty tandems, that counts as a hundred, maybe he has as many singles, that distorts my statistics a bit :wink:
Glad I reactivated this, three more votes have been cast, 9+ is the mode
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son..
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on 49" fixed
We love safety cameras, we love life "1330"

merseymouth
Posts: 1530
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: N Plus X: how many cycles do you own?

Postby merseymouth » 16 Feb 2020, 7:02pm

Hi Bryn, Have to keep some secrets, but the idea that 50 tandems equates to 100 solos isn't needed? The desire to do a proper chore made him give up counting the solos when he rolled over the 100 mark.
Real issue in life for many of us is that tricycles take up rather a bit more space! We're all stable types in every way. MM

PH
Posts: 8443
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: N Plus X: how many cycles do you own?

Postby PH » 16 Feb 2020, 7:26pm

Oldjohnw wrote:. As the owner of a single bike the concept of owning many is a surprise to me, although I get the rationale. Sort of.

How many pairs of shoes do you have?

mercalia
Posts: 12812
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: N Plus X: how many cycles do you own?

Postby mercalia » 16 Feb 2020, 9:45pm

PH wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:. As the owner of a single bike the concept of owning many is a surprise to me, although I get the rationale. Sort of.

How many pairs of shoes do you have?


how much does each pair cost? The most expensive I have was £82 reduced to £72 last year.
My bike when I bought it 20 years ago cost £649 but with 20% off I think it was

Stradageek
Posts: 678
Joined: 17 Jan 2011, 1:07pm

Re: N Plus X: how many cycles do you own?

Postby Stradageek » 17 Feb 2020, 8:52am

Oldjohnw wrote:I see nine bikes in the lead by some margin.

What does that say?

Bragging? Consumerism? Need? Just hanging on to every one I've ever had? Different bikes for every purpose and season?

I like to think that I've only ever bought bikes I thought I needed and given them away if the need proved illusory. The one exception was a Rudge bi-frame that I couldn't resist but even this was given away when I found it unused after 9-12 months.

My two earliest purchases died of frame rot but the usable parts were recycled

In mileage terms my most used bikes are the Speedmachine and the Bacchetta, in terms of number of trips it's my 1980's Stratton folder/shopper. but the BikeE, Pashley postie and the Kettwiesel all get regular outings - maybe the unicycle has to go, or maybe not :D

Oldjohnw
Posts: 3470
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: N Plus X: how many cycles do you own?

Postby Oldjohnw » 17 Feb 2020, 8:55am

I don't care how many bikes people have or what they pay for them. People make their own decisions for their own reasons. As do I.

Far too many try to tell others how to live their lives without knowing their situation.
John

User avatar
horizon
Posts: 10088
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Cornwall

Re: N Plus X: how many cycles do you own?

Postby horizon » 17 Feb 2020, 11:36am

Oldjohnw wrote:I don't care how many bikes people have or what they pay for them. People make their own decisions for their own reasons. As do I.

Far too many try to tell others how to live their lives without knowing their situation.


I think it does matter. Having more than one bike does have downsides: apart from the obvious problem of space and storage, parts tend to seize together on bikes not looked after for long periods and it is tempting to switch bikes rather than repair and maintain.

I think there is a case for saying that an extra bike allows you to extend your cycling and there is a good case for having one in the workshop, one on the road. But there are bikes out there that are do-it-all and my view is that, despite my nine bikes, one bike is probably the best option.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

Oldjohnw
Posts: 3470
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: N Plus X: how many cycles do you own?

Postby Oldjohnw » 17 Feb 2020, 11:40am

horizon wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I don't care how many bikes people have or what they pay for them. People make their own decisions for their own reasons. As do I.

Far too many try to tell others how to live their lives without knowing their situation.


I think it does matter. Having more than one bike does have downsides: apart from the obvious problem of space and storage, parts tend to seize together on bikes not looked after for long periods and it is tempting to switch bikes rather than repair and maintain.

I think there is a case for saying that an extra bike allows you to extend your cycling and there is a good case for having one in the workshop, one on the road. But there are bikes out there that are do-it-all and my view is that, despite my nine bikes, one bike is probably the best option.


Oh well I must be your dream person: I have one almost 20 year old bike.
John

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17920
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: N Plus X: how many cycles do you own?

Postby Vorpal » 17 Feb 2020, 11:40am

I'd like to see the rest. How many have 10 bikes, 11, 12, etc. I'd bet it's a log-normal distribution.

8)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom