N Plus X: how many cycles do you own? Vote now please

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

How many rideable cycles do you own?

None
No votes
One
6%
Two
13%
Three
20%
Four
12%
Five
12%
Six
10%
Seven
4%
Eight
3%
Nine or more
19%

Total votes: 113

Cyril Haearn

Re: N Plus X: how many cycles do you own?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Stradageek wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I want to get a unicycle, is it hard to learn to ride one, like riding a bicycle? Cannae remember learning that unfortunately

I've still no idea how it's done, after a few weeks wobbling while holding a shelf I just thought lets just go - and away I went. The moment I start thinking about how impossible this is I fall off :D

But as stopping and falling off are the same thing it's not an issue

I can ride a fixed wheel already, I am halfway there :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I see nine bikes in the lead by some margin.

What does that say?

Bragging? Consumerism? Need? Just hanging on to every one I've ever had? Different bikes for every purpose and season?
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Nine or more, actually, I bet most giving that answer have more than nine :wink:

Bikes are like books maybe, but not like cars
B+B, when one gets another one may keep the old ones, simples, but owning more than one motor vehicle is not normal :?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Nine or more, actually, I bet most giving that answer have more than nine :wink:

Bikes are like books maybe, but not like cars
B+B, when one gets another one may keep the old ones, simples, but owning more than one motor vehicle is not normal :?

Not sure what where the reference to owning more than one motor vehicle is from. As the owner of a single bike the concept of owning many is a surprise to me, although I get the rationale. Sort of.
John
horizon

Post by horizon »

Cyril Haearn wrote:One might like to list the cycles one has owned in the past too, the list would be even longer, dozens maybe,

I think it often wouldn't be much different from what people currently own. Bkes (unlike cars) are easy to keep and store and still have an enduring usefulness. Lots of electrical items OTOH are disposed of because they no longer work and clothes wear out: bikes can keep going for ever. I still have most of the bikes I've owned: two scrapped, three stolen, one sold, the rest (nine) I still have.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, No names, no pack drill, but a chum of mine refuses to attempt a count of his stable full! Way back he lost the will after 50 tandem varieties, the thought of counting the solos scares him witless, his wife shares the terror.
So a count of 9 in the string is very small mineral water. MM
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Fifty tandems, that counts as a hundred, maybe he has as many singles, that distorts my statistics a bit :wink:
Glad I reactivated this, three more votes have been cast, 9+ is the mode
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Bryn, Have to keep some secrets, but the idea that 50 tandems equates to 100 solos isn't needed? The desire to do a proper chore made him give up counting the solos when he rolled over the 100 mark.
Real issue in life for many of us is that tricycles take up rather a bit more space! We're all stable types in every way. MM
PH

Post by PH »

Oldjohnw wrote:. As the owner of a single bike the concept of owning many is a surprise to me, although I get the rationale. Sort of.

How many pairs of shoes do you have?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

PH wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:. As the owner of a single bike the concept of owning many is a surprise to me, although I get the rationale. Sort of.

How many pairs of shoes do you have?

how much does each pair cost? The most expensive I have was £82 reduced to £72 last year.
My bike when I bought it 20 years ago cost £649 but with 20% off I think it was
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Oldjohnw wrote:I see nine bikes in the lead by some margin.

What does that say?

Bragging? Consumerism? Need? Just hanging on to every one I've ever had? Different bikes for every purpose and season?

I like to think that I've only ever bought bikes I thought I needed and given them away if the need proved illusory. The one exception was a Rudge bi-frame that I couldn't resist but even this was given away when I found it unused after 9-12 months.

My two earliest purchases died of frame rot but the usable parts were recycled

In mileage terms my most used bikes are the Speedmachine and the Bacchetta, in terms of number of trips it's my 1980's Stratton folder/shopper. but the BikeE, Pashley postie and the Kettwiesel all get regular outings - maybe the unicycle has to go, or maybe not :D
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I don't care how many bikes people have or what they pay for them. People make their own decisions for their own reasons. As do I.

Far too many try to tell others how to live their lives without knowing their situation.
John
horizon

Post by horizon »

Oldjohnw wrote:I don't care how many bikes people have or what they pay for them. People make their own decisions for their own reasons. As do I.

Far too many try to tell others how to live their lives without knowing their situation.

I think it does matter. Having more than one bike does have downsides: apart from the obvious problem of space and storage, parts tend to seize together on bikes not looked after for long periods and it is tempting to switch bikes rather than repair and maintain.

I think there is a case for saying that an extra bike allows you to extend your cycling and there is a good case for having one in the workshop, one on the road. But there are bikes out there that are do-it-all and my view is that, despite my nine bikes, one bike is probably the best option.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

horizon wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I don't care how many bikes people have or what they pay for them. People make their own decisions for their own reasons. As do I.

I think it does matter. Having more than one bike does have downsides: apart from the obvious problem of space and storage, parts tend to seize together on bikes not looked after for long periods and it is tempting to switch bikes rather than repair and maintain.

I think there is a case for saying that an extra bike allows you to extend your cycling and there is a good case for having one in the workshop, one on the road. But there are bikes out there that are do-it-all and my view is that, despite my nine bikes, one bike is probably the best option.

Oh well I must be your dream person: I have one almost 20 year old bike.
John
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I'd like to see the rest. How many have 10 bikes, 11, 12, etc. I'd bet it's a log-normal distribution.

8)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom