N Plus X: how many cycles do you own? Vote now please

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

How many rideable cycles do you own?

None
No votes
One
6%
Two
13%
Three
20%
Four
12%
Five
12%
Six
10%
Seven
4%
Eight
3%
Nine or more
19%

Total votes: 113

Vorpal

Re: N Plus X: how many cycles do you own?

Post by Vorpal »

Oldjohnw wrote:I see nine bikes in the lead by some margin.

What does that say?

Bragging? Consumerism? Need? Just hanging on to every one I've ever had? Different bikes for every purpose and season?

Maybe it's more an indication of the age of forum members? People who have acquired their collection gradually over a lifetime?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PH

Post by PH »

mercalia wrote:
PH wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:. As the owner of a single bike the concept of owning many is a surprise to me, although I get the rationale. Sort of.

How many pairs of shoes do you have?

how much does each pair cost? The most expensive I have was £82 reduced to £72 last year.
My bike when I bought it 20 years ago cost £649 but with 20% off I think it was

My point was more by way of explaining the rationale, than the practicality.
If cars were cheaper to own and store people would likely have multiple types as well. It's a long time since I owned one, but car shopping was always full of compromises. I don't have to make such compromises with bikes, I have the space and can afford several so I have four which cover my needs, even less so with shoes, I have seven pairs. The rationale is the same.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I like those parking spaces in some cities that have a stand for x number of bicycles = one car. It is irksome to have a car owner raise an eyebrow to one's bike collection while they step out to their overblown 1.5 ton lump of metal and glass taking up the space of several bicycles.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

horizon wrote:I like those parking spaces in some cities that have a stand for x number of bicycles = one car. It is irksome to have a car owner raise an eyebrow to one's bike collection while they step out to their overblown 1.5 ton lump of metal and glass taking up the space of several bicycles.

Has someone done this?
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:I'd like to see the rest. How many have 10 bikes, 11, 12, etc. I'd bet it's a log-normal distribution.

8)

Over to you Vorpal, the poll only allows ten choices now, can it be upgraded?
.. ten, eleven,.. twenty-nine, thirty or more :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I see nine bikes in the lead by some margin.

What does that say?

Bragging? Consumerism? Need? Just hanging on to every one I've ever had? Different bikes for every purpose and season?

Maybe it's more an indication of the age of forum members? People who have acquired their collection gradually over a lifetime?

Age? Wealth! (often they go together)
Plenty of us have several bikes each worth thousands
Proud to report that my fleet of three is worth maybe a couple of hundred :wink:
Many people drive motors they do not own, cycles can be purchased on the never-never too (cycle to work scheme), still waiting for someone to vote zero
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oldjohnw wrote:I don't care how many bikes people have or what they pay for them. People make their own decisions for their own reasons. As do I.

Far too many try to tell others how to live their lives without knowing their situation.

I dinnae care that you dinnae care, if you dinnae care you need not read my thread. Others find it fascinating :wink:
You have mentioned 'people trying to tell others how to live their lives' before, what a bleater, do you care what anyone on here who has no power over you thinks? :wink:

I wish there were many more cops telling people (drivers mostly) what to do, or rather what not to do
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I don't care how many bikes people have or what they pay for them. People make their own decisions for their own reasons. As do I.

Far too many try to tell others how to live their lives without knowing their situation.

I dinnae care that you dinnae care, if you dinnae care you need not read my thread. Others find it fascinating :wink:
You have mentioned 'people trying to tell others how to live their lives' before, what a bleater, do you care what anyone on here who has no power over you thinks? :wink:

I wish there were many more cops telling people (drivers mostly) what to do, or rather what not to do

When I wrote that I didn't care I was meaning in the sense that I am interested but it is none of my business. I recent returned to cycling after a 35 year gap. I don't know many serious cyclists and I had no idea some people had more than two or three bikes. My original question asked why, not in judgement but because I didn't know. I had not come across this. When I say I don't care I mean that I am very interested (I, too, am fascinated) - which is why i asked a question in the first place - but I am not making a judgement. It is up to you what you do and you will have your reasons which are none of my business. If asking a genuine question is bleating so be it.

A nice day to you, too.
John
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

I have seven, two 'rats' one outstanding machine, another an icon of design etc and I need them all, they bring joy into my life.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

seems like many here could open a bike shop, or used to have one :twisted:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Vorpal wrote:I'd like to see the rest. How many have 10 bikes, 11, 12, etc. I'd bet it's a log-normal distribution.

8)

Changing the survey now will delete all the entries.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mercalia wrote:seems like many here could open a bike shop, or used to have one :twisted:

Or rent them out for needful cash
Not sure I should let a stranger use the machines
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:

8)

Changing the survey now will delete all the entries.

Needs a new poll, only for those with nine or more
Twelve have nine or more, maybe one has nine, one has ten, one has eleven .. one has 37?

Quite pleased and surprised to see three is the mode, seems quite normal, I have three
A footballer said, 'I can only eat one steak and drive one rolls', whatabout maintenance when one has half a dozen or more, are all in working order? Does one pump dozens of tyres up every couple of weeks?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Sheldon Brown had 19 fixed-wheel machines, not sure if he had any with freewheel
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One wonders whether a poll on total pric/value of the fleet would be interesting
My fleet cost a few hundred altogether, acquired 1982 (old), 2013 (new!), 2018 (vgc)

Cannae imagine spending thousands on a single machine, I could never thoyle that